The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 bite

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bigad Posted - 27/04/2013 : 21:57:37
My 3 year old corn just struck and constricted my hand/arm, my finger was pouring with blood, just to double check there is no harmfull bactiria etc passed from corns.

Edited by Kellog to replace asterisked word with more appropriate word .
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 02/05/2013 : 07:17:02
Poor thing , I'm so glad you've taken her on .

Have a look at Handling tips to see if it helps. I took on a corn whose previous owner was scared of her. He'd only handle her when he had to, and that was roughly with a gardening glove . When we went to see her, he got her out and she was struggling to get away from him, striking at him. I just took her from him automatically, with bare hands, and although she still tried to escape, she stopped striking. So much has to do with confidence and being calm....your attitude effects the snake. She actually wasn't what we were looking for, but I couldn't leave her there. It took a few months of basically treating her like a hatchling, getting her used to me and to being handled. And now she's a lovely snake who would rather be with me than off exploring like my other 2 do. I'm sure you could do the same with yours .

Xxx
scottishbluebird Posted - 01/05/2013 : 21:10:51
Try putting a clean sock in your waistband for the day, put in with her will help get used to your scent, handle for few mins a day, if she calm then put back, not if being mean, so if mean and you put her back, will learn that works to get left alone
Bigad Posted - 01/05/2013 : 18:54:26
ive only had her 3 month and shes not a tame snake she was neglected by her previous owner who was in the army and would be away most of the year and his sister just went round 2 feed her. so she doesnt like being handled so only really hold her wen she gets cleaned out.
Kellog Posted - 01/05/2013 : 11:21:22
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

Have told my son that if either of us gets bit by her, we MUST get the camera first!!!!

That's the attitude Scottishbluebird....don't worry about the pain and the blood dripping down, get the pics !!

quote:
Originally posted by serena_08

........Dawn has still never struck or bitten anyone

Lets hope you don't regret saying that Serena !!

quote:
Originally posted by Bigad

Well fed her today. and she was really edgy........finally got the mouse in. she still seems defensive. hope she relaxes again.

Have you thought about feeding her outside of her viv Adam? It does seem as though she associates you putting your hand in her viv with food.

Xxx
Bigad Posted - 30/04/2013 : 21:10:16
Well fed her today. and she was really edgy, every time i opened her viv she charged over (which is not like her,she normally hides.) and she was on the prowel and had her neck curled ready 2 pounce. finally got the mouse in. she still seems defensive. hope she relaxes again.
serena_08 Posted - 30/04/2013 : 17:55:26
Yeah was all the cats fault! (My own stupidity comes nowhere in this story..... Lol)
I tried running her under the tap, spraying her and dipping her, I just had to wait til she realised she can't eat me

Dawn has still never struck or bitten anyone
scottishbluebird Posted - 30/04/2013 : 16:16:21
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by hayden764

u have nothing to worry about I have been bit nearly a million times

Think you must be doing something wrong if you've been bitten nearly a million times Hayden....and it's not true unless we see proof !

quote:

Whoa impressive! but you gotta be braver and get the camera when the snake is attatched, or just dripping blood!!

Totally agree with you Scottishbluebird....says she who hasn't been bitten, yet .

Xxx

Have told my son that if either of us gets bit by her, we MUST get the camera first!!!!
Jayclk Posted - 30/04/2013 : 13:01:03
that is a very impressive bite :)
Kellog Posted - 30/04/2013 : 09:54:33
quote:
Originally posted by serena_08

Never worked for me, lol!

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27451

Wow ! Missed that thread....and echo the comments on it! Fantastic pic of Rubi biting down on you. Am assuming she's wet because you tried the water trick to dislodge her? You mention the cat....was that why she bit?

And has the 3rd snake bitten you yet ??

Xxx
serena_08 Posted - 30/04/2013 : 08:17:54
quote:
Originally posted by mjpeters

Next time try placing 'AFFECTED PART'in cold water-or cold shower-THEN they let go
If that ever happens pics.are mandatory-but please remember to keep on the budgie smugglers YOU not the reptile

Never worked for me, lol!

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27451
Kellog Posted - 30/04/2013 : 06:22:15
quote:
Originally posted by hayden764

Think you must be doing something wrong if you've been bitten nearly a million times Hayden....and it's not true unless we see proof !

quote:

Whoa impressive! but you gotta be braver and get the camera when the snake is attatched, or just dripping blood!!

Totally agree with you Scottishbluebird....says she who hasn't been bitten, yet .

Xxx
scottishbluebird Posted - 29/04/2013 : 22:06:24
hayden764 Posted - 29/04/2013 : 20:25:57
coxymk2 Posted - 29/04/2013 : 19:54:10
Nearly made a mistake myself last feed night had been handling a mouse getting it warmed up and forgot to wash my hands before going into viv to get Boozer out he came out of his hide faster than I had ever seen him move, cue a very hasty retreat and a bang of the head for being so stupid lol
Kellog Posted - 28/04/2013 : 20:18:27
She meant business!!! I'm glad you've got an explanation for it though, I'd hate for it to be a case of not having a clue why she turned on you.

As Razee said, she might have torn a tooth when she was detached from you but they do grow back. Just keep an eye on her as there is the small chance of it getting infected if this has happened....and keep an eye on your wound, it may become infected if there is a tooth or bit of a tooth still in there.

If it happens again try dripping water on her head rather than prising her off you. The snake is the main concern here, not you of course .

Xxx
Bigad Posted - 28/04/2013 : 17:58:44
It was totally my fault, she has never been a friendly snake but never struck me, i seen her coming towards the rock, and i thought should i leave it and come back, but i thought it would be ok, but she came over alot quicker then i anticipated. and it was too late she was half out the tank, so had to usher her back in and she has obviously thought my finger was a mouse.

yeah read loads of places saying corn bites dont hurt, and that you can barely feel them. well trust me i felt it ok.lol well actually it didnt hurt when she done it or when she was lacked but when i took her off it stung for about an hour. and she must of struck a vein or something coz the blood was pouring out of me. literally dripping off my finger.

I hope she is ok, think she is a lil shook up, barely been out her hide today, think i might of had 1 tooth stuck in coz it felt sharp underneath and i pulled what i thoughtwas lose skin off my finger but think it might of been a tooth.

Ill keep an eye on her.
Razee Posted - 28/04/2013 : 14:49:41
Ooooh, very nice teeth marks, she meant it! ;-)

I think Redware summed it up - they have a very good sense of smell, so she would have smelled some mouse residue from the rock, + movement, heat, saw something = feeding strike ( they could not afford to pass a feeding opportunity in nature, so she just reacted fast, before she thought.

When she finally realized it was you, and not the mouse, she let go... I'd keep an eye on her mouth, if she lost some teeth, she might get sore. I suppose you could take a magnifying glass and have a look at your finger, if you can see any ( though by now, they'd have probably fallen out ).
Redware Posted - 28/04/2013 : 14:08:41
Combination of the heat of your finger and the smell from the feeding rock and your finger being prey sized?

They are quite impressive teeth marks!

I hope you and the snake are ok.
Bigad Posted - 28/04/2013 : 13:31:54
this is how it looks 2day.

edited by Kellog to remove code
Bigad Posted - 28/04/2013 : 13:19:04
Not the best quality photo due to room lighting last night, but ya can see her jaw outline.

Edited by Kellog to remove code

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000