The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New log for viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Freddiesmum Posted - 30/08/2012 : 13:17:18
ordered a log thing for Oscar's viv. Should i chuck it in the oven for a while to sterilise it? If so, how long for and what temp? It's medium sized.

Cheers in advance
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
huffy_86 Posted - 01/09/2012 : 15:01:17
Hi Freddiesmum!
I have bought natural decor from bluelizard reptiles before and would definitely advise on preparing it before adding it to your snakes home on the basis that I assumed it had been properly treated and after a couple of weeks it started to grow mould! When I explained this to our local exotice pet shop he explained that certain types of softer wood can do this and as such he only sells one particular type. Since then I've stuck to artificial stuff!
Ell Posted - 31/08/2012 : 09:34:31
Make sure to cover it in tinfoil :P
Auld Baldy Posted - 30/08/2012 : 14:59:29
It's a test of true love. Love me love my snakes. lol
Freddiesmum Posted - 30/08/2012 : 14:56:38
She's only driven mad by me asking questions and worrying too much haha, she's actually decided to get her own since I got Freddie!

When she moves out and the boyfriend moves in however, that may be a different story....haha.

My genius idea is get another couple before he moves in, then he can't complaint coz they were there first
Auld Baldy Posted - 30/08/2012 : 14:52:27
He-he! I'm lucky. I don't have anyone else to be bothered by my expanding zoo or the aspen and wood chips trailed throughout the house. lol
Freddiesmum Posted - 30/08/2012 : 14:47:01
I have to admit I am a bit paranoid when it comes to the snakes haha! Just coz it's my first two, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

My friend that lives with me is driven mad haha. I'm getting better the more I learn about them!
Auld Baldy Posted - 30/08/2012 : 14:36:40
I wouldn't really bother but as you are obviously paranoid no harm in a quick scrub in a basin of hot water with a dash of bleach followed by a rinse and wash with a squeeze of washing up liquid. Final rinse in cold water and let it dry.

This is how I do all the hides and water dishes for my lot.
Freddiesmum Posted - 30/08/2012 : 13:30:25
Thanks Baldy (in the politest way.....lol) It's from Blue Lizard online so will just give it a bleach and rinse!
Auld Baldy Posted - 30/08/2012 : 13:25:16
If it is from a pet shop or supplier then it should already have been treated. It is really when you gather your own logs or branches that you need to treat them.
Normally a good 24 hour soak in the bath with a good glug of bleach will destroy any unwanted passengers. Depending on the wood and whether you want the bark on or off, just a good rinse and left to dry is all that is needed. A warm airing cupboard or stacked next to a radiator does fine. Baking in the oven is an optional extra. Personally I just debark, bleach, rinse and dry.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000