The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heating Q's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dudeskin Posted - 28/08/2012 : 21:10:53
Hi again everyone, hope you're all doing well.

Since my last/first post I've been busy reading and trying to absorb more info (mainly off here lol) and have also purchased all of the equipment ready for a hatchling and have been getting it all setup but just want to double check really on the details well before any snake buying occurs .

The Faun is the Exo Terra large flat 18" x 12" x 6.5", thermostat is Habistat Mat Stat, heat mat is Habistat Heat Mat 11" x 11" 12 watts. I also have two digital thermometers, specified aquarium ones, but seem to work well for this purpose and currently kitchen roll substrate.

The setup I've arranged is similar to LittleMick's (Legend ) one with cardboard replacing the polystyrene base. I have it positioned on the floor of my bedroom is this ok or would a small table be better?

Well now on to the heating, basically I have the heat mat on the cardboard then Faun on top so a 3rd is heated (Also on this because the mat is quite large I only use half with the other half facing the air, would this cause any problems with it or just result in me using more leccy lol?). Now on to the sensor, I have it under the Faun (mainly due to not having a drill to hand ) so you have cardboard, heat mat, sensor, Faun, and just wanted to know if this is adequate?

Another slight concern is that because the digi thermometers I bought won't fit through the premade holes I've currently got them threaded through the two hatches with the wires squeezing them a bit but still working fine, of course the worry is they could escape through the gap but there actually isn't any due to wire being very thin but again just wanted to ask if this is ok or be better to make holes larger?

On the temperature I have the probe on each end under the hide as flat as possible to the surface and have the hot end reading a range of around 28.5C - 29.3C and cool end room temp which has been at around 20.7C - 22C, on this I wasn't sure which area to get the reading from but thought under the hide would be best or would it be better just outside/next to the hide and are these temps ok?

Thanks in advance
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dudeskin Posted - 29/08/2012 : 12:08:34
Have done what you said and put probe in Faun tied to thermometer and it's a real improvement as I was finding when it was outside with thermometer inside I had to ramp the stat dial all the way to the top but could still barely reach around 27 - 28C but now I'm able to reach that by having it set at that temp ON the stat .

Also I have it under the hide lying flat with the hide sort of weighing it down and just want to know if this is ok or is it better just outside, and on that could/should there be a significant difference between inside and outside?

Lastly sometimes the temp at the hot side goes as low as about 25.1C before starting to rise back up again to 28.5C, is this ok or should I raise the stat just slightly so the lowest is higher and hence the highest is too?
ScalySituation Posted - 28/08/2012 : 21:13:48
right, here ya go :)

I'd say small table is better, just incase you or someone else accidently kicks it

Probe really needs to be inside, scissors will get through the lid ok

the cardboard thing and mat placement is how i had mine, no probs whatsoever

and your temps sound perfect :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000