The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 TREATING YOUR SNAKE

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ean632 Posted - 27/08/2012 : 19:05:58
Does anyone feed there snake something other than a mouse as a treat? if so what?

Ive heard some people feed chicks etc
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 29/08/2012 : 13:05:44
I feed various sizes of mice sometimes they may get two slightly small ones or sometimes a jumbo and even the occasional fuzzy even though the corns are mostly 4ft plus. I have just inroduced rats to their diet and all but one are very very enthusiastic when it comes to rats, you certainly want to keep fingers, hands and everyting else out of the way. I do have one that came to me when he was 3 years old and only ever eaten mice, his reaction to a rat was utter terror so I guess he is going to take some persuading. I guess a varied diet from a younger age is the better way of doing it instead of waiting until a snake is years old as they just don't seem to like change, well that ones doesn't anyway.
I haven't tried chicks yet as my supplier only sells them by the 100s and I don't want 100s of chicks in the freezer if no one will eat them. Bit wary about this smelly poop as well.
Ell Posted - 28/08/2012 : 21:25:46
The poop after theyve had a chick...
My word is it bad *shivers* x.x
Dancross0 Posted - 28/08/2012 : 19:47:19
I feed my adult corn a mixture of mice and chicks, and have never had a problem with him refusing one or the other.

But, when he had his 20 week horny-fast this year, scenting (I'm going to say scenting, not the rather Frankenstein-esque reality...) with a chick legs got him feeding again. He has gone back to his old feeding regime of eating any small, fuzzy object placed in front of him...
Auld Baldy Posted - 28/08/2012 : 00:10:08
"Some of my questions may sound stupid"

Nope! Just a question needing clarification.
lotabob Posted - 27/08/2012 : 22:03:57
I feed all my snakes a varied diet of mice, rats, gerbils and the occasional chick. I don't feed chicks often though because it makes their poop absolutely reek. My corn's main diet would be mice but I figure in the wild they would be eating a varied diet so it cant do them any harm to have a varied diet in captivity. Day old chicks are quite big when compared to a corn snake so only an adult could eat one, my corn is still not big enough really, he is yet to even see a chick, the Boa takes them and the Royal refused it so even if you decide to offer alternative 'treats' its no guarantee they will eat it.
ean632 Posted - 27/08/2012 : 21:36:08
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Mice supply all the nutrition that they need. Snakes do not 'enjoy' a treat in the way that we do. All they are interested is satisfying basic hunger instinct.
Some will take chicks but these are normally as a last resort for non-feeders. They are not as nutritional as mice and can actually make it hard to get them back onto taking mice.
If it is eating properly on mice, there is no point in upsetting the routine.

I have no intension on changing his food from mice (pinkies at the mo) I am new to snake keeping so if a question pops into my head I put it in here. Some of my questions may sound stupid but its all a learning curve for me. All this info will help me be a better owner Thanks for your input
Auld Baldy Posted - 27/08/2012 : 21:22:58
Mice supply all the nutrition that they need. Snakes do not 'enjoy' a treat in the way that we do. All they are interested is satisfying basic hunger instinct.
Some will take chicks but these are normally as a last resort for non-feeders. They are not as nutritional as mice and can actually make it hard to get them back onto taking mice.
If it is eating properly on mice, there is no point in upsetting the routine.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000