The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Smokey update + a couple of questions...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alib Posted - 26/08/2012 : 20:58:24
Hello,

had smokey for about a month now. he is 3 months old. he shed (good full shed) in the first 2 days i had him and has had eatten 4 pinks with me in that time. first week i had him i didn't really see him out. but now he comes out his hide and looks around his viv around 8 pm ish and seems ok. still doesn't really like being picked up but once i get him out seems to settle down ok but some other times he is still abit jumpy...

any way got a couple of questions i was wondering if any one could gove me some advice please:

1. feeding, i have been feeding him out his viv and in a different rub so he is off his aspen, 1st time i did this i had the pink out for about 4 to 5 hours and he ate it after about 10 min being in the rub (mind tho i think he was hungrey as he missed a feed). second time i fed him... 6 days later he also ate it well. 3rd time didn't go well had a friend over as well and he didn't take to it at all.. i think he might have been spooked with the extra noise a movment around him? so i put the pink in his viv and left him over night but it was still there in the mornining. i put the pink in the bin left him for 2 days tried to feed him again out his viv by my self he took it straight away. 4th time (last friday) got home from work deforsted the pink for about 2 hours put him in his rub then put the pink he went straight up to it took a bite in its side spat it out again and then left it... i left him for about 30 min but then put him back in his viv this time i left the pink ontop of the heat matt with a paper towl under it and it the morning it was gone.

any way was wondering is the feeding problems normal? could it be the pink was too cold so he didn't take to it?

No 2 question, last night was very strange and i have not seen him do this before. he was rubbing his head and body against everything from the glass to the wood against the plants and water bowl. also diggining in and out of the aspen.. i thought he might be sheding but i looked this morning and there is no shed? what could it be? i have to admit i haven't noticed his eyes go blue. do there skin feel different before they shed as i think he felt abit different a few days back when i held him? could it also have some thing to do with him not taking his food on friday night?

sorry if this goes on abit and for all the questions. but it my first snake and i just want to make sure i am doing every thing correct lol

thanks again.

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alib Posted - 29/08/2012 : 13:23:07
Does a snake skin feel abit sticky before they shed?
alib Posted - 27/08/2012 : 14:39:01
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

sounds spot on! might be worth feeding in the viv for a few feeds to get him established again then try him in his faun, he might have been feeling insecure eating with some one else about (new scents and movement) if he's eating in the viv i wouldnt worry to much.

with regards to the 2nd question, my two feel like their scales feel like they are lifting slightly the belly scales sort of feel like they are rough as they go over your hand.
am sure some one more exerianced will be along shortly who will have some insight

Thanks, sounds like a plan I will may be try the feeding idea seems like a good idea..

Yeah I think he is prob due a shed soon but I can't understand why he was rubbing against every thing. He seemed ok last night but still doing alot of digging.
lupi lou Posted - 26/08/2012 : 22:23:35
sounds spot on! might be worth feeding in the viv for a few feeds to get him established again then try him in his faun, he might have been feeling insecure eating with some one else about (new scents and movement) if he's eating in the viv i wouldnt worry to much.

with regards to the 2nd question, my two feel like their scales feel like they are lifting slightly the belly scales sort of feel like they are rough as they go over your hand.
am sure some one more exerianced will be along shortly who will have some insight
alib Posted - 26/08/2012 : 21:12:02
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

might be worth posting details of your set up, temps how its heated etc

i got the monkfield terr heated by heat matt, around 28c on hot end and 22 on the cold end. i have a digi thermo and a pulse stat. i have lots of hides and plants water bowl etc... i did a lot of research when sorting my set up!
lupi lou Posted - 26/08/2012 : 21:02:54
might be worth posting details of your set up, temps how its heated etc

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000