The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heating a vivexotic viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Connies dad Posted - 25/08/2012 : 20:16:18
Just after some opinions, I'm setting up a couple more vivs, and I've bought the vivexotic LX 3fts, how do you guys heat them?

I've got a Royal in 1 which is heated by ceramic bulb, but I've got a few spare heat mats, so if I could use them it would be good, problem is because the viv has a wooden bottom it would need to go inside the viv, how can I put it inside the viv but cover it so it doesn't harm the snake?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Connies dad Posted - 26/08/2012 : 12:42:19
Thanks again
Auld Baldy Posted - 26/08/2012 : 01:13:06
Better a stupid sounding question which turns out to be a reasonable one. We don't bite heads for being uncertain about something.

It is technically possible to run several mats on a single stat *if* the technicalities are understood and everything is set up properly. It is even approved by the manufacturer and not just a cheap hack job. If in doubt or not certain then individual stats are the prefered easy set up. The mats are designed to sit and work safely inside the viv. They will not get hot enough if properly statted to cause any damage. The main problem is insecure probes causing problems. In the case of stat or mat failure is is 99.9% likely to fail 'cold'. In the case of a short circuit from damage then the fuse would blow, again resulting in a 'cold' mat.

I set my vivs the way I do to stop the snakes getting under the mat, tangling up in probe wires, dislodging the stat probe. I have an aversion to sticking things as a fix when a mechanical method does it better. IE, pins, cable ties, screw fixings etc. Just my personal preference.

Donnie Posted - 25/08/2012 : 23:40:12
Don't apologise for asking questions, its how we all learn :)
I stick it down so the wriggly ones can't get underneath it and make a mess. I think lots of people just use the weight of the hide on it to keep it down. No right or wrong way just each to their own.
Connies dad Posted - 25/08/2012 : 23:21:18
Thanks guys, the royal will be at the top, then the gecko, with the corns underneath, so no issue with the ceramic. Silly question possibly, but why stick it down at all?

Apologies for the stupid questions, my other corn vivs have always had 2 sheets of glass to slide the Heat may between.

Auld - if I put 2 vivs in one Matt stat isn't there a chance of the Matt without the stat in going wrong? For the sake of £25 I wouldn't want to harm one of the snakes.
Donnie Posted - 25/08/2012 : 22:57:29
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Be careful if you are making a stack with the ceramic bulb on the bottom. The heat passing through the top and into the base of the upper viv is significant and can easily exceed the 28 degrees required for Corns. Even with an air gap I have seen temps registering 32+ degrees. If possible, put the Royal at the top of the stack.

Completely agree with this. My ceramic setup is on the top of the stack for this very reason.

quote:
Originally posted by nickyff

trouble is of course, as soon as you glue the mat down, your snakey is going to come along and deposit a big runny stinker down the gap at the side so it dribbles under the edge...

permanent fixing of heatmats not advisable.....

The good thing with the glue gun is you can pull the glue off relatively easily get the mat cleaned and then glue it back down again
Auld Baldy Posted - 25/08/2012 : 22:00:15
You will also need another mat stat. The Habistat 100watt will safely handle 2 similar sized and rated mats. Just remove the original trailing socket and fit a 2/3/4 port extension socket.
The Habistat 17"x11" @ 20 watt mat goes fine inside with the LX36.

Instead of glue, I've used ordinary old fashioned thumbtacks to hold the mat in place. ***DO NOT*** push them through the laminate sheet. Instead, push them in just next to the edge and pinch the edge of the mat. 2 at each side and 2 at the front will hold the mat securely and it is still easy to spring it and pop it out for cleaning.

For the stat and thermo probes, I've jammed a narrow wooden strap across the viv above the mat. Secure the probes with small zip ties.

Be careful if you are making a stack with the ceramic bulb on the bottom. The heat passing through the top and into the base of the upper viv is significant and can easily exceed the 28 degrees required for Corns. Even with an air gap I have seen temps registering 32+ degrees. If possible, put the Royal at the top of the stack.
nickyff Posted - 25/08/2012 : 20:57:52
trouble is of course, as soon as you glue the mat down, your snakey is going to come along and deposit a big runny stinker down the gap at the side so it dribbles under the edge...

permanent fixing of heatmats not advisable.....
rubi Posted - 25/08/2012 : 20:33:30
haya I use a heat mat in mine just glued it down inside with a glue gun and the glued thermometer prob and thermostate prob to the mat and each other as well, then cover it with substarte with less around the thermostate and thermometer probs. . i was worried about burns etc but was told as long as prob and thermostate glued on the the mat and mat glued down with substarte over top would be fine and ive not had a problem so far.
Donnie Posted - 25/08/2012 : 20:33:03
I hot glue gun my mats on the floor inside my vivs and just put a sprinkle of substrate on top. As long as your mat is controlled with a stat then it should never harm the snake. I also use the glue gun to stick the stat probe and thermometer probe onto the mat as well.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000