The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 First feed on saturday, advice please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ean632 Posted - 23/08/2012 : 21:10:27
I will have had my snake a week on saturday, (he is a year old) I have had no contact with my snake and have only been in the viv for daily water changes.

I intend on feeding him his first pinkie on saturday, the first couple of feeds will be in his viv to avoid stress and lower the risk of him not feeding (no substrate just paper towels). The reptile shop said he will take two pinkies and in a month should be on a fuzzy.

So my questions are
1. would you give him two pinkies on his first feed or one pinkie? if two would you give the two pinkies together?
2. The pinkies are in my freezer, how best should I preper them? leave to defrost? pop in hot water? etc. (will feed using tongs)

Thanks again for everyones help and advice, its realy helped me and my snake :)
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ean632 Posted - 26/08/2012 : 20:21:03
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

Great news that he has eaten for you. The size of prey is always dependent on the size of the snake. When I first got my yearling, Apollo there was no way he could manage even a small fluff, he was tiny even though he was a year old.

Yes this is how mine is, very small but by the looks of things he will soon bulk up
Moppet Posted - 26/08/2012 : 20:01:11
Great news that he has eaten for you. The size of prey is always dependent on the size of the snake. When I first got my yearling, Apollo there was no way he could manage even a small fluff, he was tiny even though he was a year old.
Isoldael Posted - 26/08/2012 : 19:12:03
I always put the pinkies in warm water, my snakes actually try to strangle them before eating (unlike room temperature pinkies :p)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 26/08/2012 : 18:42:46
Good news, pleased for you.
ean632 Posted - 26/08/2012 : 14:11:12
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

That's great news. Always a relief when your new snake eats for the first time

Defo a relief ive read that much about new snakes not eating I was convinced I would have problems with him being my first snake but now I can relax knowing he is happy and eating well
Donnie Posted - 26/08/2012 : 13:43:33
That's great news. Always a relief when your new snake eats for the first time
ean632 Posted - 26/08/2012 : 12:06:42
quote:
Originally posted by ean632

Well I put two pinkies in his viv an hour ago, it took him 50 mins to come out of his hide, he came out and took a pinkie right in front of me!! I watched the whole thing and it was great, I feel so happy he has fed on my first feed :) :) what a feeling!!

He has now gone back into his hide and left the second pinkie (he did have a good prod before he left it) so will he come back out for the second one? do they usually take both at once or weight a while?

I'm so chuffed he has fed.

Well I got up this morning and the second pinkie has gone! :) i'm chuffed to bits, his first feed with me has gone perfect and most of this is due to everyones advice and help so a BIG thanks to you all.
ean632 Posted - 25/08/2012 : 21:03:22
Well I put two pinkies in his viv an hour ago, it took him 50 mins to come out of his hide, he came out and took a pinkie right in front of me!! I watched the whole thing and it was great, I feel so happy he has fed on my first feed :) :) what a feeling!!

He has now gone back into his hide and left the second pinkie (he did have a good prod before he left it) so will he come back out for the second one? do they usually take both at once or weight a while?

I'm so chuffed he has fed.
ean632 Posted - 24/08/2012 : 15:27:39
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

Fair enough, I'd definitely move him onto fuzzies asap... :)

My 3 month old one is on pinkies and they don't leave much of a bump...

Yes he will be on fuzzies as soon as I know he will eat pinkies fine. Cheers for the advice
Jono2411 Posted - 24/08/2012 : 14:45:10
Fair enough, I'd definitely move him onto fuzzies asap... :)

My 3 month old one is on pinkies and they don't leave much of a bump...
ean632 Posted - 24/08/2012 : 13:51:03
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

A year old and eating pinkies? That doesn't seem right... The prey should be around 1-1.5x the width of his body... :)

He is long but thin, the reptile shop only fed the minimum so the snakes are easy to store (and for cost reasons)

I have his feeding record which states what he's had and for how long.
Jono2411 Posted - 24/08/2012 : 10:31:56
A year old and eating pinkies? That doesn't seem right... The prey should be around 1-1.5x the width of his body... :)
Thorne Walker Posted - 23/08/2012 : 21:27:30
Yup.. give him both. and consider throwing a cloth over the viv to black it out/ damp down the sound.
scottishbluebird Posted - 23/08/2012 : 21:16:25
Just give 2 pinkies, will eat both if hungry, leave them out for about an hour to defrost

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000