The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Advice for biting corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Connies dad Posted - 22/08/2012 : 13:24:27
Hi,

I picked up a CB08 carolina female last week, the first time I held her she struck out so I left her to settle in, got her out this morning and she's got a right old temper on her. I thought she was just striking, so picked her up no panic and she got me, not being one to give up I persisted and she struck a few more times and bit me again. I normally use the same scented soap before picking any of my snakes up, this seems to work with the rest. I left a cloth in her viv for a few days with the soap on it so she could get used to the smell, but she's still decided I'm good meat.

Clearly I'm determined to get her calmed down, and lets be fair, even an adult corn doesn't really hurt, makes you jump a bit though

If anyone has any ideas to save my fingers I would be happy to received your advice.

Thanks
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Connies dad Posted - 23/08/2012 : 23:37:39
Maybe I should rename her suki/sookie, she's generally know as a**eache at the moment!
Donnie Posted - 23/08/2012 : 18:29:39
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

Lots of handling and she will settle down, unless she's like my Sookie

Or like my Suki
Okeetee Mick Posted - 23/08/2012 : 17:04:33
Lots of handling and she will settle down, unless she's like my Sookie
Auld Baldy Posted - 23/08/2012 : 13:46:17
He-he! It worked in the studio.

Maybe that's it?? Fester can read and has taken the idea to heart.
Connies dad Posted - 23/08/2012 : 13:37:05
He looks in good shape, I particularly liked the message on the ruler :-0
Auld Baldy Posted - 23/08/2012 : 12:51:55
Check out the pics in the Off Corn sub-forum. "My new Kings".
Connies dad Posted - 23/08/2012 : 12:47:42
Sounds adorable
Auld Baldy Posted - 23/08/2012 : 12:26:04
I insist, you must come by and sample a wee kiss from Fester, my cranky Mexican Black King.
Connies dad Posted - 23/08/2012 : 11:38:27
To be honest there's nothing to show Donnie, a few specs of blood at the time but nothing major, I'd rather take a nip of them than practically anything else
Donnie Posted - 22/08/2012 : 19:49:42
Pictures or it didn't happen
Connies dad Posted - 22/08/2012 : 14:21:20
Thanks Auld, and Jono
Auld Baldy Posted - 22/08/2012 : 14:16:45
The flighty one is about the same size as yours and sits draped around my hand like a big string of spaghetti. I'll try and get a photo and put it up.

10 minute sessions are a good start for an adult. You can increase the time as she gets used to you and settles quicker.
Jono2411 Posted - 22/08/2012 : 13:45:11
The glove will be irrelevant to the snake, you will still smell the same... Just use the glove until she isn't biting you... :)
Connies dad Posted - 22/08/2012 : 13:43:56
Jono - The glove thing helps me, but will it really help her? I mean, will she get used to me if she feels a glove rather than my hand?

Auld - Mine's about 3 1/2 ft so probably about at the limit for 1 hand but I'll give it a go.

I'm thinking that I should get her out every day for 10 mins, but as you say not put her back immediately that she bites.

It's all good fun isn't it
Auld Baldy Posted - 22/08/2012 : 13:38:17
I'm afraid it is a case of taking it on the chin (or finger). She will calm down eventually once she realises that you will not eat her. So far you are doing the right things.

Try relaxing and eventually she will spit you out but don't put her back into the viv immediately. Instead let her run through / over your hands in a continuous hand-under-hand fashion. If you can steer her into a figure of eight loop around the fingers on one hand she will relax and settle. Maybe it is getting dizzy with all the turning but this method does work. My corns no longer strike but my adult Carolina is a bit flighty and the figure of eight trick always works. He ends up perched around my fingers and will sit there for as long as my arm doesn't get pins and needles. He's over 3' but still fits around one handful of spread fingers.

Stick with it and build up the confidence of the snake.It just takes a little time and patience.

You might try an unscented soap such as Dove. Keeps your hands ssssoft too.
Gloves are not the best idea as it introduces another strange scent and you would still need to re-introduce your own scent.
Jono2411 Posted - 22/08/2012 : 13:34:48
A good plan could be to wear gloves when holding her until she gets more used to being handled...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000