The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Possible new home for a 3 week old corny?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Leasha Posted - 20/08/2012 : 14:15:10
I have recently bought a 3 week old corn snake. The guy at the petshop told me to do all the wrong things but thanks to you guys I have done them right! So here is the next step (I think I need some advice)
My snake is 10cm living in a 60x30 viv. I had no idea that baby corns did not like large spaces so today I bought this smaller boxthing which I want to use as her feeding box. Howeeeveeer, I was thinking about keeping her in the smaller one for a while untill she has grown a bit more. I find it really important that she is as comfortable as possible before I start handling her properly as she has already been scared a lot by the evil man at the pet shop and bit me once because of it. Also. If your wondering how i'm going to keep her temp up. I live in Holland where it's 29*C - 32*C I have had all the heating sources off for two days now and the temperature has stayed perfect in the viv. IF it does get too cold I will use a heatmat or place the smaller box into the actual viv.

(Photo of the 60x30 she is hiding in now)

(Photo of the tank I would like to put her in)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leasha Posted - 21/08/2012 : 17:24:28
Surely by now she would of escaped through the vivarium? She's pretty much in a double lock now as Ive put the tank inside the viv where she's lived in for the past week and closed the glass doors from that too. I really hope you find her. I hope this never happens to me because I don't want my guinea pig or kittens to get eaten! :0
Connies dad Posted - 21/08/2012 : 17:21:23
Leasha - I wouldn't be so sure re: escaping, my 6 month old amel (Connie) escaped 4 months ago by sliding through the gap between the 2 pieces of glass. the gap couldn't have been any larger than the ventilation holes in the top of your viv.

She is still missing
Leasha Posted - 21/08/2012 : 17:05:47
Really?? Are you sure it didnt just die and your parents didnt want to say?? There is nooo way she can get out. im 100% sure. And even if she does she wont get far as I have put the tank into the viv for the heating.
Isoldael Posted - 21/08/2012 : 08:37:12
A little note about the tank you're going to use - I have the exact same one. Last year, I kept one of my snake hatchies called Pinky in one of those. When I was away for a weekend and my parents were watching the snakes, Pinky somehow managed to escape from the tank and I've never seen him again. I'm not sure how he managed to get out, but I'm definitely never putting a hatchling in that kind of tank again...
Leasha Posted - 21/08/2012 : 07:59:08
SHE ATE! SHE ATE! SHE ATE!
Well I think she did anyway. The pinkie was gone this morning!
I think what I will do is just handle her above her tank so if she falls she falls into her own home ;D
I'm hoping she's going to shed soon.
Jenn Posted - 21/08/2012 : 00:44:09
lol, your such a new mom, same with babies of all species! You will do fine, if she did happen to nip at that age it is like touching velcro... so don't be afraid of that. as for dropping her, I know they are small and seem so fragile, but they actually kinda curl up in a bit of a definsive "OMG theres something big getting me", and you can just scoop them up, I havn't had issues really with mine being a wiggle away, they are small enough to sit in your palm.
a33272 Posted - 20/08/2012 : 23:17:33
You won't drop her :-)
Leasha Posted - 20/08/2012 : 22:04:13
Alright! Shame I don't get to see her first feed. She reaallyy needs to eat though. It's been over a week now. She's only 3 weeks. Won't make a habit of feeding her in her own viv. I had her feeding tank ready and everything. I'm just so afraid that when I lift her water bowl up I will drop it on her by mistake :x
ScalySituation Posted - 20/08/2012 : 21:44:54
yeh, overnight in there will be fine, but chuck it in the morning
Leasha Posted - 20/08/2012 : 21:43:55
The tape was a joke :x
Well it's all off now. Will be till it gets normal outside ¬.¬
So hottt! She's not come out tonight. I even defrosted her a pinkie. Is it safe to leave it in the viv overnight?? I could leave it on her stone. Don't really want to waste one.
Donnie Posted - 20/08/2012 : 21:13:20
I think in that sort of heat you will be safer leaving it off all the time
ScalySituation Posted - 20/08/2012 : 21:12:37
selotapes a nono with snakes ;) they can get awful injuries that may scar for life

ideal temp is between 27-29 degrees c :)
Leasha Posted - 20/08/2012 : 21:06:32
Aha. That would of taken ALOT of heat proof celotape if that exists haha. The temperatures are really annoying at the moment tho! I think the ideal snake temp is 29*C right? It's between 30-34 *C throughout the day. Depends what time of day / If my windows are open. This whole week I have switched all heat sources off throughout the day though when I went downstairs at 2AM to grab a drink it was 28*C in the viv so I switched it on again. When I woke up at 10AM it was 33*C so I switched it off again.. :<
Donnie Posted - 20/08/2012 : 20:38:11
You get all the nice weather in Holland
I see, I was wondering how you would fill the gaping holes at the side of the light
Leasha Posted - 20/08/2012 : 20:25:44
Might be useful if I tell you what the bulb is... It's just a light for the photo! It's actually my hermit crabs heat source / light which I used. x
Leasha Posted - 20/08/2012 : 20:24:44
Aah! The bulb isn't a heat lamp. In my first post i'm telling about the temperature in Holland.
At the moment it's 29*C at night and upto 34*C in the day. Ive been told to just switch all heating sources off for now which I have done for now. Once it cools down I will place the smaller tub into the actual vivarium and use the heat source from there. Im sat patiently waiting for my snakey to appear as im too scared to lift up the rock/water bowl because i don't want to slip and drop it on her.
Donnie Posted - 20/08/2012 : 20:14:16
Just a few points, you will need a guard around that bulb to stop snakey burns and I would also try to get the lamp on one side of the faun so you can create a temperature gradient in there. Are you using a thermostat with that bulb and a digital thermometer to check the temps?
Leasha Posted - 20/08/2012 : 20:06:42
Does this look ok? I wasnt sure if to put tissue paper or that in. But she's lived on the same ground for a week now so i supose it's fine?
Will probobly place this tub into the actual vivarium once it gets too cold. <3
Moppet Posted - 20/08/2012 : 19:17:14
Pretend to be confident when you are picking her up, that way she is less likely to be scared and try to leap out of your hands. A snake that size won't be able to hurt you even if she does strike at you. Also, I wouldn't touch the food item before picking her up because your hands could smell like dinner.

Good luck and I hope she eats for you I love watching them eat, I'll never get bored of it.
Leasha Posted - 20/08/2012 : 17:42:32
She can't escape haha. Im so nervous of feeding her in a bit. My friend who was going to help me later bailed on me. So I have to get her out all by myself. She's so fast im scared I will drop her and she will speed crawl away. Any tips? x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000