The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Where is the best place to order frozen mice?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Moppet Posted - 19/08/2012 : 12:39:20
Hi all,

As the title says. Where is the best place to order frozen mice from?

After September I will have at least four snakes and from the research I have done so far, it would make much more sense to buy about 6 months supply of frozen mice so that I can put them in my freezer until needed.

I currently use P@H mice and although some of them are better than others, most of the pinkies are already freezer burned so I can't keep them long. The snakes don't seem to mind very much but I wonder at the nutritional value of them.

Also, postage seems to be the most expensive part of ordering online so if anyone in the area would like to split a delivery then I would be very happy to do so. (I am based in Harrogate)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ell Posted - 20/08/2012 : 09:43:59
I've used PAH mice since they started them without a problem (they come from Monkfield so I know they are quality). Maybe they don't have a high turn over if you are getting them freezerburnt :/
I havn't used RSR myself but havn't heard anything bad about them.
Moppet Posted - 19/08/2012 : 16:40:57
Excellent. I have been checking up on prices and so far it looks like rsr will work out the best value wise. Less than half what I would pay from P@H even with postage added. Plus I can buy Apollo's viv at the same time! Another 6 months and he might be ready to move into a LX36 if I put lots of cover in it

TBH I'm less bothered about the money and more about the quality (it is a bonus, I'll admit). Even though Apollo and Titan don't seem to mind the odd freezer burned mouse (okay, most of them are actually freezer burned) it makes me cringe a little thinking about freshness and nutritional value. Plus it would be useful not to have to buy them a couple at a time as often as I do now.

Anybody buy from RSR? What is the quality/service like?
a33272 Posted - 19/08/2012 : 15:47:26
Yeah I pretty much order enough for half a year at a time. Do you research on prices though depending on how much u get the postage may make it more expensive than getting it locally.
Moppet Posted - 19/08/2012 : 15:36:52
Aah right, so is approx 6 months a reasonable time to keep them in the freezer for? The research I have done suggested not to keep pinkies for any longer than 6 months, is this accurate?
a33272 Posted - 19/08/2012 : 13:19:21
Nope lol pretty much only PAH that sell them like that. Depending on how many u get they may just come in a bag loose or neatly lined up in resealable bags.
Moppet Posted - 19/08/2012 : 13:07:55
Thanks May be a daft question but do most places pack them in vacuum type packs now?
a33272 Posted - 19/08/2012 : 13:01:48
I use frozen reptile. As they bred there own so its all kept in this country. Alot of the UK frozen food market comes from other Europe countries.

Delivery wise most online will be next day before 12. The sellers tell you to check it straight away an contact them if its totally defrosted.
Moppet Posted - 19/08/2012 : 12:51:51
Whoops, I just found the sticky about it.

Still, which places work out the best for you? What is the quality of the mice like and do they always arrive still frozen?

Thanks for your help.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000