The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 pets at home live moss

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
viraleye Posted - 08/08/2012 : 20:33:08
Hi all!!

I've currently got two hatchlings both gone dull and due a shed anyday so want to get a moss box sorted for them. Then at my local P@H I noticed they now sell live moss in a vacuum packet full of moisture. I'd this the stuff I need? Also does it matter that it's live????
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
viraleye Posted - 09/08/2012 : 06:55:56
I did say it was a stupid question lol.
paulie78 Posted - 08/08/2012 : 23:56:56
quote:
Originally posted by viraleye

Stupid question, but does it grow in an airtight box?? Or is it a case of when it's gone its gone?

Cant say ive noticed any growth lol
viraleye Posted - 08/08/2012 : 22:49:35
Stupid question, but does it grow in an airtight box?? Or is it a case of when it's gone its gone?
paulie78 Posted - 08/08/2012 : 22:45:31
quote:
Originally posted by viraleye

So if I bought the live moss, what do I do when it's only needed every couple of months?

Keep it moist and dont let it dry out i have some of that monkfield live sphagnum moss from pah i keep it in its original bag in an airtight tub and just mositen it every now and again ive almost used it all up now wont bother buying it again though ill stick to the freezer dried exxo terra stuff lol
viraleye Posted - 08/08/2012 : 22:17:41
So if I bought the live moss, what do I do when it's only needed every couple of months?
Ell Posted - 08/08/2012 : 21:08:18
Its live moss supplied by Monkfield, I have a lovely base of it in my crested gecko enclosure and with daily spraying its thriving :)

That with my colony of springtails and plants means very little cleaning out for me ^^
Red123 Posted - 08/08/2012 : 21:06:31
I use sphagnum moss from the garden centre. I put it in individual bags in the amout I use at a time and pop it in the freezer. When I need some I just get a bag out empty the moss out and poor boiling water over it. Drain it give it a squeeze and allow to cool. Alot cheaper than the moos sold specially for reptiles.
viraleye Posted - 08/08/2012 : 21:01:39
Well in the packet there is loads of moisture. wouldn't photosynthesis take place inside the packet supplying itself with oxygen?

Now I'm confused!
Moppet Posted - 08/08/2012 : 20:39:06
I've not seen the live stuff in my p@h.

I got dried sphagnum moss for mine. I don't know whether it makes much difference if it is live or not, although I would be a little concerned about whether it was safe if it was live, with bacteria and bugs and the like. I'm not convinced moss could be live if it is vacuum packed. Surely it needs some sort of oxygen exchange to survive?

I throw mine away after each shed anyway so dried works fine for me.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000