The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New girl

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FruitLoop Posted - 07/08/2012 : 22:49:18
Hey so I brought my new girl home last night and she is beautiful huge but beautiful

I won't go in to her name the poor girl has drawn the short straw in that department

Here is a quick pic I snapped before letting her settle in

I also have a few questions that I may as well pop in this thread to save you all from a separate thread lol

I noticed when I took her out of the bag that her scales seem wrinkly, is this likely to be because she is due to shed or should I be booking a trip to the vet to get her the once over ?

Also what is a healthy weight for an adult creamsicle corn ? She seems pretty beefy. Are they usually more rounded than normal corns ?

Last question, honestly

How can you tell if a corn is gravid ? I'm not sure that she is but it was a friend that pointed out that maybe she isn't just porky when he noticed that she was bumpy. I've attached a pic the best I could get without taking her out so sorry about the reflection in the pic

Could this just be that she was tense and not too happy to see me ? She was doing a little tail rattling so made that rather clear

Whoa long post sorry, I just hope someone read long enough to see the questions lol
Thanks
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 09/08/2012 : 20:39:03
Personally I would have said she looks very overweight and that is probably what is causing the wrinkly scales - classic sign. I could be wrong though and it could just be the photo - or she could be gravid after all lol! Does she look like her cross section would be like a loaf of bread (healthy) or more round (overweight)? Have a look at the sticky thread about overweight snakes Edit: here it is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11891

She is however a very pretty snake, so congrats on your new arrival! :)
FruitLoop Posted - 08/08/2012 : 23:06:47
Ok thanks
I'm not sure what incubating the eggs would take so off to do some reading I think. May not be an issue because I got her out today quickly just to check but I couldn't feel anything, maybe she is just a little grumpy because she heard me calling her porky lol because she had some attitude today when I changed her water out

Will put a moist hide in anyway as I think she is due a shed so will benefit from it either way. Thanks again
Tasha89 Posted - 08/08/2012 : 14:12:30
Hey congrats on your new girl!!

With regards to the creased scales my snakes sometimes get this, its where they have laid in the same position for a while possibly in the hot end mine just shed this out with the next shed no problem.

With regards to the gravid question there is no way of telling by looking really but if you let her slither over your hand you may be able to feel some bumps in the last 3rd of her body, if this is the case she is gravid, if she is and you want to keep them i suggest getting the things for a incubator if you dont freeze them in the freezer for 24-48 hours.
FruitLoop Posted - 07/08/2012 : 22:50:53
Sorry forgot to add her weight and it won't let me edit the first post. She is 727g

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000