The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 bad shed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Roffe Posted - 30/06/2012 : 02:03:25
so the other day my snake shed for the first time since i got him, and it didn't go very well. it came off in many pieces and there were a lot of small pieces left on him that i had to remove. so i really want to help him next time, by making a damp hide for him...but i don't have any moss and don't know where to get any. isn't there something else i can use to make a damp hide, instead of moss?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Roffe Posted - 30/06/2012 : 15:44:43
quote:
Originally posted by Moppet

I didn't have any moss when Apollo decided to shed either. I used a clean jam jar and ripped then crumpled up clean pieces of a4 paper, made them damp then put them inside the jam jar. I put a piece of paper around the edge too, so that it was dark. She loved it and it seemed to do the trick, the rest of her shed nicely.

Only one problem with this is that if you leave the hide inside the viv for a few days the paper begins to break down a bit. Needs replacing every other day. It seemed to work quite well for me but I have some sphagnum moss now just because it is easier.

i will try this if i don't find any moss. thanks for your advice
Roffe Posted - 30/06/2012 : 15:44:13
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Some people suggest just putting a damp flannel over one of the hides to raise the general humidity. Sphagnum moss can usually be found in any rep selling stores or garden centres (but I know u said u aren't in UK so may be more tricky).

garden center? oops, didn't think about you could get it there. now that you mention it, it's pretty obvious. i'm so daft
well, we have plenty of those, so i will go look there
Moppet Posted - 30/06/2012 : 14:24:01
I didn't have any moss when Apollo decided to shed either. I used a clean jam jar and ripped then crumpled up clean pieces of a4 paper, made them damp then put them inside the jam jar. I put a piece of paper around the edge too, so that it was dark. She loved it and it seemed to do the trick, the rest of her shed nicely.

Only one problem with this is that if you leave the hide inside the viv for a few days the paper begins to break down a bit. Needs replacing every other day. It seemed to work quite well for me but I have some sphagnum moss now just because it is easier.
smart bunny Posted - 30/06/2012 : 08:27:22
Some people suggest just putting a damp flannel over one of the hides to raise the general humidity. Sphagnum moss can usually be found in any rep selling stores or garden centres (but I know u said u aren't in UK so may be more tricky).

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000