The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding while due to shed....help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Theresa Posted - 27/06/2012 : 18:13:21
I noticed yesterday my snake is looking very dull so I'm guessing this will be our first shed. Hes due to be fed today. Should I feed him as normal or wait until the shed is done? Also, do I need to do anything in particular to help shed? Please help.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 28/06/2012 : 22:07:51
The eyes will eventually go a definite cloudy blue. It can take a few days to develop and stay that way for about a week. Overnight the eyes will clear and the colours revert to almost normal. Your snake will be pretty inactive during this period. About 1 week after the clear period the actual shedding will take place. If you are lucky, you will see a bit of chin rubbing on any rough surface to start the shed then the full peel.

Main thing is to stop worrying, it will happen. If you miss it this time around there is always the next one.
Theresa Posted - 28/06/2012 : 21:38:40
How long are they in blue for? His colour has been dull for two days. Can't see much difference on eyes but they are red so hard to tell.
newsnakekeeper Posted - 28/06/2012 : 12:09:22
you can make ur own moss box if u have an old ice cream or margarine tub just cut a hole in the lid but make sure u sand any sharp edges down and hten put the moss in. If you want to use this to help with shed place it in warm end of viv to help increase me humidity hope this helps
smart bunny Posted - 28/06/2012 : 12:02:07
Corno feeds no matter how deep in blue she is, Ember feeds if only just starting to go cloudy but refuses when getting close to a shed. Won't hurt to try your snake and let them decide whether to eat or not :). Also, if it's 1st shed with you I'd leave snakey to see how they get on - if they have problems shedding you may need to put a moss hide in in the future, but lots of snakes shed absolutely fine with no help at all. Corno's 1st couple of sheds with us were bad so we used a damp hide for a bit - but these days she sheds without the need for a damp hide, and Ember hasn't needed any help so far.
Hissyfit Posted - 27/06/2012 : 18:37:58
I'd just see how it goes. As for feeding, it depends on the snake, some eat in blue and some don't, but it won't hurt to miss a feed Just remember to check tail tip and eyes when he's shed to make sure they've come off and not stuck to the snake.
Dalymad2 Posted - 27/06/2012 : 18:34:01
I have no moss box , if your snake has any issues shedding then there are some useful links on here that will help , most corn shed without any problem.
My corns tend to spend most time in the cool hide and go to the warm hide as they want, not sure its there favorite just what suits them.
Dalymad2 Posted - 27/06/2012 : 18:29:07
All of mine feed in blue, we provided a rough piece of wood bark in the viv`s and this seem to help with any shedding issues.
As above not feeding will not hurt.
Theresa Posted - 27/06/2012 : 18:27:54
I don't have a moss box or anything. I wasn't expecting this. Do you think I should get one ASAP or just see how it goes? Should I put his favourite hide on cool side or change temps or anything?
viraleye Posted - 27/06/2012 : 18:14:52
Some snakes still feed whilst in blue(such as mine) whereas others won't.

Either way it won't do any harm to skip a feed if you're worried :-)

As for help shedding; not every snake needs moisture to help shedding.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000