The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 lighting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rubi Posted - 24/06/2012 : 13:23:39
so i am hoping to upgrade my corn snake to her new viv this month and i am looking at lighitng for it just wandering on what peoples opinions are on lighintg i know they dont need it and have read websites that both recommend and dont reccomned it?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Georgina Posted - 24/06/2012 : 20:07:15
mine are hardly ever on as they are all glass topped and get plenty of light :) they normally go on when its xbox time and the main lights go off :)
lotabob Posted - 24/06/2012 : 19:32:24
Lol, yeah my custom stack is a bit on the huge size. Each small viv has one strip the top one has 2 though. There is a controller you get with the lighting kit, it has a twiddly thing you can pick the colours with, it can also cycle colours or flash them like a disco not exactly needed or snake friendly functions so I dont use them unless i'm showing it off to someone. I appreciate that you can alter the colour and the snakes dont react to the different colours at all, Spot seems fascinated by purple, when its purple he looks at the strip all the time. lol. Funniest thing is a very rarely use the lights at all, maybe during water changing and poop scooping, the bottom left doesn't have a light, its my Royal's viv, he hates light.
Matt Waters Posted - 24/06/2012 : 19:25:45
Urs is very nice Georgina
I'm sure when it's time for a bigger one itl be impressive too
Can't wait to finish my custom viv :-)
Georgina Posted - 24/06/2012 : 19:11:29
My little monkfield with single colour leds, has just been dwarfed by lotos custom viv... Thankx

Lol

Xxxx
rubi Posted - 24/06/2012 : 18:14:42
and really like your set up btw custom?
rubi Posted - 24/06/2012 : 18:14:00
i saw those are they the ones that you can change the colour of...was one strip wnough for your viv?
lotabob Posted - 24/06/2012 : 17:57:33
I use Ikea Dioder colour strip LEDs. They are brilliant

rubi Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:57:21
thank you nyour viv looks lovely.. think will definatly use leds to light it then and good to know about the burns :)
Donnie Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:32:38
If you have your mat and stat set up right and the probe stuck to the centre of the mat there is no chance of snakey getting burned. I think the majority of keepers on here use mats and don't have issues with them. LEDs are the way to go if it is just for viewing and as Georgina said a hot glue gun works great for putting them up (and for sticking stat probes to mats). If you do use a bulb then a guard is a must have.
Georgina Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:18:09
yesm using a stat corectly with ensure no burns.

from the range you can get a hot or cool glue gun, which is safe to use in the vivs without a 48hr air time.

the leds again can just me stuck in with the sam glue gun and they light the vivs really well.

this is how much the blue leds light up the vivs, this was about 6 in the evening x

rubi Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:13:19
i was going to use light purely for viewing using a night bulb and pos a day bulb as well, with guards (although with rubi still failry small was worried would get through a guard). HOw well do the led/strip lighting light the viv? and are they easy to install on a wooden viv? Was going to use a mat for heat i was worried about putting it in under substarte incase of that its underneith terranium at min so no risk of burns. is there any one of 100% preventing burns when using a mat?
Georgina Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:08:45
all of mine sit directly on their mats. the only issue i can see with that is if a large bodied snake like a royal could possibly raise the temp of a part of a large mat and then burn its self but if the snake is in a viv of the right size and the mat is the right size for the viv and the probes are secure in the middle of the mat there is no way the mat can get hot enough to burn a snake.

as for the not using a guard on a light, it is also there so the snake does ot constrict the light, at any time of the day, also if the climbing branches are that close then the snake could be. it seems to me that you now have more chance of getting a burnt snake then you did with the mat.

-------------------

all of the above is opinion and i mean it in no other way i.e offencive. i am aware my manner can come across thus way.
Dalymad2 Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:08:28
Hi i have led lighting in my viv`s for night veiwing only, have always used heatmats without any issues, i have read of far more burn issues from lighting units than heatmats.
AcidicAngel Posted - 24/06/2012 : 16:02:55
The mat was glued down in my uncles viv... She moved the substrate away from it to get onto it and had burns all the way down her belly...

I don't use a guard simply because A. I can't fit one in due to the branches they have for climbing and B. My corns simply don't go near the light. It's not on at night and during the day it's only on if their temp drops below 26c. In the day they spend all their time in their hides, never out unless you disturb them to make them active. The only movement there is during the day is switching between warm and cold hides.
Georgina Posted - 24/06/2012 : 15:42:53
if you glue the probe to the mat or glue the mat down them theres no chance of burns :) and you should always use a guard of ant light unless you use led lights.

you can get leds from ikea of if you are more creative you can buy strip lightning from places like maplin or on ebay. blue or red are good as the snake cant see them as much and your are more likley to get some viewing of them.

as for uv lights and such, there is no proof either way, but it is an addiotonal cost. a uv bulb costs around 22 every time, and the leds from ikea cost 27 fo 4 strips and they will last 10 times longer. plus you will need guards and idealy a stat on any light that will give heat.

AcidicAngel Posted - 24/06/2012 : 15:37:24
I actually use the light in my viv to heat it as they don't have a heat mat due to one of my uncles uncovering her's and burning herself ion it.

He had the stat set to 28c for her warm end and she uncovered it and sat on it for hours on end, ending up with a burn on her stomach.

So I don't use a heat mat in my adults viv as when I did I found Sakana sat on it. Took her out and inspected her, her stomach was very warm so I took the heat mat out and have used a light to heat since.
I know a lot of people will disagree with me for this but I'd rather not have a burnt corn snake due to a heat mat, they both leave the light alone.
viraleye Posted - 24/06/2012 : 13:57:25
Corns don't need light. Its more for viewing
a33272 Posted - 24/06/2012 : 13:55:23
I've got leds a cross top of all my vivs for nothing more than viewing

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000