The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 do i heat pinkies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smokeysfc Posted - 19/06/2012 : 21:20:55
hi im new and have my first snake i got it today and am wondering with the frozen pinkie do i just defrost it or warm it in hot water or does it depend on the snake ive read and been told diffrent things but id thought id ask on here as you all have helped me before
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bam Posted - 21/06/2012 : 17:54:07
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I usually leave my big mice to just defrost at room temp from morning til evening and then feed. I tried loads of different ways to heat pinkies...

STEER CLEAR FROM: ....................... microwaves, radiators, boiling water, hairdryers, your pocket! Exploded mice from too much heat are one thing, but mice that you forgot about and discover a few hours later while at the dinner table are a completely different problem! :P

LOL!
ScalySituation Posted - 21/06/2012 : 13:39:34
i do whatever i feel like on the day, sometimes i use cold, sometimes i use warm :P
Roffe Posted - 21/06/2012 : 13:38:19
i defrost mine in cold water.....
Katie.Dublin Posted - 20/06/2012 : 18:11:12
I usually leave my big mice to just defrost at room temp from morning til evening and then feed. I tried loads of different ways to heat pinkies...

STEER CLEAR FROM: ....................... microwaves, radiators, boiling water, hairdryers, your pocket! Exploded mice from too much heat are one thing, but mice that you forgot about and discover a few hours later while at the dinner table are a completely different problem! :P

Moppet Posted - 20/06/2012 : 17:30:36
I defrost my pinkies at room temperature and I used to warm them up a bit with a hairdryer...until I realised that I had taught Apollo that a hairdryer meant food as she started hunting very enthusiastically around her viv whilst I was drying my hair! Whoops! And people say snakes aren't clever...
Now I just feed them once they're room temp and use tongs so she doesn't get confused by the heat of my hand. She's always been a very enthusiastic feeder anyway and I don't think it has made much of a difference.
NaomiR Posted - 20/06/2012 : 16:27:03
i would just go right ahead and give her a fuzzy this feed
Matt Waters Posted - 20/06/2012 : 16:21:58
Oh right thanks for that
I was told she was ready for three pinks for her first feed,
Shall I give her two this time and if she's still hunting give her a fuzzy next time?
smart bunny Posted - 20/06/2012 : 14:48:31
I usually get the water from the tap nice and hot, drop the pinkys in, then handle the snake for 15 mins or so. *make sure you wash your hands so your fingers don't smell of mouse lol!* It really doesn't take long to defrost a pinky, 5 mins would probably do it. I figure if the hot water has had tme to cool down to lukewarm then it's well and truely defrosted ;)

You shouldn't feed 3 prey items at a time though - if she can manage 3 pinkys then she can more than manage a fuzzy!!
Matt Waters Posted - 20/06/2012 : 12:14:18
How do u know they are fully defrosted? I'm due to give my first feed at the weekend, dnt think she'd appreciate an icy centre lol
Also not to go too off topic but she is onto three pinkies, do I wait each time until the pinkie is about halfway down the body?
Redshift Spec Posted - 20/06/2012 : 11:30:15
Its warm water for me too. They all love a nice warm and wet meal..... Especially if its dangled around a bit first :)
AcidicAngel Posted - 20/06/2012 : 11:06:42
I leave mine to defrost at room temp, like Eeji said I'll only ever warm them up if I think it will help the snake feed like a Fussy hatchling or, in my case recently, a fussy adult female snake.
Dalymad2 Posted - 20/06/2012 : 10:51:48
Mine eat mice defrosted in warm water, i look at it as though they would eat warm blooded prey in the wild so it keeps things more natural.
Elicia Posted - 20/06/2012 : 01:19:00

I use warm water too. I used to put them on a saucer on top of the radiator....until I realized I was actually cooking them and they stank! Mine refuses to eat cold food. x
QueenVic Posted - 19/06/2012 : 23:30:03
I tend to leave them in the bag and stick em in a sink full of hot water. I dont think it matters if they are warmer than room temp, but it may be more appealing to the snake.

When I first got Espher I put her mouse in a bag, inside a carrier bag into her viv to defrost on the heat mat.
FATAL ERROR. Never do this, not that I think any of you would cause it was the stupidest thing Ive done since owning a snake and I still cant figure out why I did it.
I left the room for a few minutes and needless to say when I went back she had started to eat the mouse, while it was inside the bag.
I then had to pull it out of her mouth, she'd only got about an inch of it in, but it scared the **** out of me!

Like i say, stupidest thing I have ever done.
eeji Posted - 19/06/2012 : 23:08:41
i only warm pimkys if i have a fussy hatchie that doesn't like them cold
lupi lou Posted - 19/06/2012 : 22:31:25
i usually leave them on the heat mat for a bit although i did use the warm water method after the spanniel incident lol
viraleye Posted - 19/06/2012 : 21:56:27
Defrost them warm water :-)
kev 5 Posted - 19/06/2012 : 21:51:33
warm water for me too
smokeysfc Posted - 19/06/2012 : 21:42:53
all three are good ideas i might try them all to see what way he likes his food :D
Callazagy Posted - 19/06/2012 : 21:35:09
I leave them on top of a heat mat for a few hours to defrost and thier also a little warm.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000