The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New to exotic pets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Matt Waters Posted - 19/06/2012 : 18:28:47
Hi folks
My first post and I just bought my first exotic this Sunday
First off I'd just like to say this seems a very nice community with a lot of knowledge bouncing around

I have a question

As above, I bought my beautiful lavender corn this Sunday morning
She is approx 30-40cm 4-6 months
Obviously I am a beginner when it comes to reading the body language
And I know the recommendation is to leave them completely alone for a week or so to settle in
She has been in her hide pretty much constantly since getting her home other than occasionally popping her head out
However last night she came out and had a really good roam around her tank, I let the cat get close as she was really intrigued but she's way too timid to do anything
I think the snake was happy too they were practically kissing through the glass, very comical
And today just about an hour ago I took the lid off to change water and do a spot check so I lifted her hide and just couldn't resist picking her up
She was nervous at first, as was I a little lol
But she seemed happy and curiouser
I only handled her for maybe 2-3 mins max, and when I lowers her back to the tank I introduced her to the water bowl which she drank from while on my hand and she definatly wasn't in a rush to get off

I'm just checking, do u guys think iv read the signs well and she was settled in enough to handle or do u think I may have rushed her a little

I'm sure this is a common newbie move but I couldn't resist
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 21/06/2012 : 07:42:44
Lol - Naomi have a quick look here at amel (orangey) anery (brown/grey) and normal - start off brown as hatchies with tiny little orange dots between the saddles - and end up pretty orange lol! May help you decide which one to get :) I'm guessing from what you posted that will be what your shop has got ;) http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/
NaomiR Posted - 20/06/2012 : 22:51:13
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

if you are looking at hatchies then whatever colour they start will most likely change considerably over time!!

and this - I did NOT know
booteylu Posted - 20/06/2012 : 22:33:35
Beautiful lavender I've never seen one so purple
nickyff Posted - 20/06/2012 : 21:56:13
great pics of a lovely little wormy-

it sounds like she's very relaxed, if she drank while sitting on yr hand- so you definitely made a good choice at the shop; got the one with a laid-back attitude...
as time passes you'll notice that she has a distinctly different character to the other snakes you'll get- It's infinitely fascinating to me that a reptile can have a noticable personality, but they do! give her a little more tiome to show hers, and her name should come naturally.
best of luck with yr snakey-princess
Matt Waters Posted - 20/06/2012 : 12:08:58
Thanks again all for the lovely comments am a proud dad lol
Naomi - I got her from a reptile shop in Leeds called tyranusaurus pets
Very helpful staff too I gotta say
He had a few different morphs in and really cared for the snakes too & not just interested in the money which filled me with confidence being new to snakes :-)
Dalymad2 Posted - 20/06/2012 : 11:25:36
Lovely looking snake, OH wants a lavendar next , hoping the breeder i got my snow from may have some soon.
smart bunny Posted - 20/06/2012 : 10:45:14
Awww lovley snake!

Naomi, just bear in mind if you are looking at hatchies then whatever colour they start will most likely change considerably over time!! Good luck choosing :)
Hissyfit Posted - 20/06/2012 : 10:32:17
Aww she's lovely! Lavenders are one of my favourite morphs and look prettier with every shed
Lozzy Posted - 20/06/2012 : 10:28:19
She is absolutly gorgeous! :) can't wait to get my lavander at the weekend now lol :)
NaomiR Posted - 20/06/2012 : 09:50:27
lovely snakey, where did you get her? I'm getting my first corn on Thursday and I'm really excited, I've got a choice between some orange ones and brown ones (I don't know their proper names, I'm sorry) I did like the orangey ones at first but am now leaning towards the brown ones anery I think? because they have really striking markings.

will be hard to leave him/her alone for 7 days!!
nusnakemum Posted - 20/06/2012 : 08:30:19
aaaawwwww she is gorgeous and welcome to the wonderful world of snakeys !
Matt Waters Posted - 19/06/2012 : 23:10:31
Thanks all for ur nice comments :-)
She's been out of her hide again this evening active & roaming & seems happy in there so I feel better about things
I just have to name her now
I wanted to give her a comedy name at first lol like rumple snakeskin
Il wait till I can handle her properly and see what springs to mind ;-)
kev 5 Posted - 19/06/2012 : 22:19:59
very nice looking snake
voodoo Posted - 19/06/2012 : 22:15:34
very pretty snake!
lupi lou Posted - 19/06/2012 : 20:46:16
very nice corn, i must admit my first corn i did handle before the 7 days was up but my second one was left 9 days as i left him for 7 then fed him. patience is definalty something you develop with corns lol
scottishbluebird Posted - 19/06/2012 : 20:45:43
Really pretty congrats
Callazagy Posted - 19/06/2012 : 19:39:16
Very nice buy, shes georgeous, the lavender morphs are my favourites.
Matt Waters Posted - 19/06/2012 : 19:32:51
:-D
Thanks
I went to th shop thinking I'd get an anery b or a ghost possibly but fell in love with the most expensive one Didn't I lol
The shop had two lavenders but she (unnamed) stood out by a clear mile IMO
Very happy indeed :-)
Donnie Posted - 19/06/2012 : 19:30:02
Looks great :)
viraleye Posted - 19/06/2012 : 19:25:27
Wow that's a little stunner!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000