The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 my temp

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 14:07:19
hi guys and girls just turned my heat mat on and thermostat and digital thermomiter today so it has 2 days to warm up before my corn arrives and my heat mat temp drops to 25.5 degrees c before my thermostat brings it to 28 degrees c is that ok will my snake be happy at that temp or do i need to adjust thanks
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smokeysfc Posted - 18/06/2012 : 11:18:55
my sensor is placed in the middle of the mat ive tied the thermostat sensor together with the digital thermomiter sensor so it gives a persice reading and so far it has stayed at 29.1 then shuts off and kicks back in at 27
voodoo Posted - 18/06/2012 : 08:31:12
lotabob I know they do the same thing, it just seems to fluctuate a lot. where on the mat is the best place? mines near the lead on the mat, perhaps thats why. it isnt going over 29.4C, which it stays at for no more than about 2 minutes anyway. Im using paper towel as substrate, which Im assuming doesnt hold heat the way aspen does too.
lotabob Posted - 17/06/2012 : 23:42:59
The habistat range and the microclimate range do exactly the same thing. I use habistat but thats just what I started with and decided to stick with what I know but microclimate are just as good and probably a bit cheaper (they are also UK made I think if that floats anyones boat). If your temperatures are fluctuating a lot even after a long period when it should be nicely settled then it may be an issue with the positioning of your probes. I have always found hotgluing them to the surface of the mat keeps things in place and my mat setups dont fluctuate by more than a degree, maybe 2 but mainly they hold a steady temperature. If thats not the issue then it may just be differences between individual units, as long as its not going too high its still doing its job.

There are loads of digital thermometers available too, from £2 ebay specials to £15 all in one komodo magic ones, They are never 100% accurate but are close enough to be reliable.

Setting up all this kit is just part of the fun, once its doing what it should be though you pretty much forget about it, I do catch myself glancing at the temp readings every time I walk past the vivs, its just become second nature, you occasionally get a duff reading which makes you wonder how it has suddenly become 4 degrees, take the battery out and back in and everything is back to normal. Dont worry about disturbing them a little bit while they settle in, if it has to be done then it has to be done, they dont hold grudges, at least I think they don't maybe they are storing it all up for when my guard is down.
voodoo Posted - 17/06/2012 : 23:23:45
thank you, I hope yours does too, when you get it! Hemlock will be fine now everything is good and I can let him settle in without having to disturb him adding a thermostat and new thermometer :)
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 23:05:35
lol i had one of those dial ones but i returnd mine and got the digi one instead i only got my set up this week and have it set up and running today as im getting my snake tuesday when 888 reptiles deliver it i hope you get your habistat cheap and i hope your snake is ok and has a long and healthy life
voodoo Posted - 17/06/2012 : 23:01:11
nice! cheaper than what I paid :/ had to get mine in a rush though, got mis-informed so didnt have one immediately. also had rubbish dial thermometers, so its been a bit traumatic for my poor snake :( all sorted now though but I think Ill get a Habistat as I said. Ill look at Ebay though, hopefully find one cheaper there
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 22:37:26
i paid 20 pound for my stat and got a cheap digi thermomiter for 4 pound off ebay both brand new
voodoo Posted - 17/06/2012 : 22:32:04
well, following other peoples advice I think I shall probably just buy a Habistat stat instead, and keep this one as a spare. it fluctuates a little too much for me to be happy
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 22:28:36
quote:
Originally posted by voodoo

haha yeah, exactly the same one and thats how it should work! just mine doesnt. must be something to do with viv set-ups Im guessing. but least yours is working great :)

thanks i hope you get yours sorted
voodoo Posted - 17/06/2012 : 22:23:44
haha yeah, exactly the same one and thats how it should work! just mine doesnt. must be something to do with viv set-ups Im guessing. but least yours is working great :)
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 20:41:26
quote:

now Im confused. mine doesnt work like that at all! :/

mine is the black and green one if thats helps i dont no why mine has done it ive even checked the book and that doesnt help im just as confused now
voodoo Posted - 17/06/2012 : 20:12:27
now Im confused. mine doesnt work like that at all! :/
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 19:57:52
quote:

thank you a33272. I thought it was. Im curious smokeysfc, how comes yours only drops to 27C before kicking in again? mine goes all the way to 25.9C!

i dont no i turned it to 29 and now it drops to 27 it used to drop to 25.5 when i had it at 28
voodoo Posted - 17/06/2012 : 19:32:48
thank you a33272. I thought it was. Im curious smokeysfc, how comes yours only drops to 27C before kicking in again? mine goes all the way to 25.9C!
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:19:17
thankyou donnie
Donnie Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:17:22
Smokey this post will help

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24618
a33272 Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:15:57
If its ministat 100 then yes it will be microclimate voodoo
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:15:16
yep it is the black and green one with a micro climate heatmat to with a digital thermomiter to get it bang on temp
voodoo Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:04:47
sounds about perfect! though Im curious, is it a microclimate ministat 100?
smokeysfc Posted - 17/06/2012 : 15:45:24
ok with the mini stat 100 on and off switch thermostat reaches 29.1 cenitgrade and shuts off then kicks in agian at 27.1 centigrade i cant control the start time but will that be ok thanks agian kev

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000