The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Fitting a heat mat in a monkfield viv ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hissyfit Posted - 11/06/2012 : 18:41:03
I've just had a Monkfield viv arrive (after the first one arrived broken), and wondered if someone could help me out? I know the heat mat should go between the glass at the bottom, but the glass has a piece of polystyrene in between it, and not sure if it should be removed, or does the heat mat go on top of it? Probably s dumb question but have searched the internet and none the wiser
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AcidicAngel Posted - 21/06/2012 : 22:13:14
I was thinking of doing that myself but I've already got a small Faunarium that he/she can go in till about 12-18" long them into the RUB for a bit till about 24-36" then into the viv :)

Sound good?
Georgina Posted - 21/06/2012 : 21:04:04
you can alway put a divider in and gradually increase the size, that way you wont need to keep buying vivs :)
alib Posted - 21/06/2012 : 20:39:37
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

That would be too big for a hatchie. I had a 12x12x12" exo terra for my hatchie last year, but even that scared him to death! I ended up putting him in a 7x7x7" breeder box and putting that in the exo. You could do the same, and buy a small tub/breeder box/faun and put that in the monkfield until your hatchie grows a bit

Thanks Hissyfit, i will look into that and c what i can get :)
AcidicAngel Posted - 21/06/2012 : 20:06:20
Thanks Hissyfit, did wonder if I'd got the measurements right.

Will work on getting that when I have a bit more money :)
Hissyfit Posted - 21/06/2012 : 19:19:29
That would be too big for a hatchie. I had a 12x12x12" exo terra for my hatchie last year, but even that scared him to death! I ended up putting him in a 7x7x7" breeder box and putting that in the exo. You could do the same, and buy a small tub/breeder box/faun and put that in the monkfield until your hatchie grows a bit
alib Posted - 21/06/2012 : 18:32:42
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel

Hissy fit, I was thinking of growing the snake on till he/she was about 2-3ft long and then moving him/her? Sound good?
One of these would sit nicely on top of my other viv too which is why I was thinking of getting one of these instead of another full blown sliding glass doors viv as I don't have room height wise. I need something that can sit nicely on top of my viv in a height gap of about 13". The full measurements for the XL are 36" x 8" x 15"... I'm guessing this means 3ft long, 8" tall and 15" Deep(front to back)?
Plus at £70 it's not too bad, the only shop *near* me that sells reptile stuff is a Pet's At Home store and their 2ft version is about £60...

It's an ideal size for a 2-3ft snake I've just moved my 11 month old into the 24" one and he's just over 2ft. Yes, you have the measurements right, so it would fit where you want it to go.

i was thinking of just putting my new hatchie straight into the 24 would this not be ok?
Hissyfit Posted - 21/06/2012 : 18:15:55
quote:
Originally posted by NaomiR

I really like mine, I collected it today so going to spend a bit of time cleaning it out and getting it all ready - I can't just use washing up liquid though can I? and silly me forgot to get a reptile safe disinfectant what a wally okay will have to clean it out and set it up tomorrow!!

You'd be better with reptile safe disinfectant. You can buy it from most pet shops, and pets at home sell one called Beaphar Deep Clean'.that's just for reptiles
Hissyfit Posted - 21/06/2012 : 18:13:02
quote:
Originally posted by alib

quote:

quote:

hey

just woundering how do you tie the wires down and the thermo probe to the glass where the heat matt is, what the best thing to use? would tape be ok?

No, never use tape inside the viv it can cause a lot of scale damage if it sticks to the snake.I just put the probes (mat stat & thermometer together with a small elastic band) under the hide. I've used sealant to hold them in place with my other vivs, but it didn't hold very well with the monkfield.

Thanks i will just try and hold it down with a hide then... Do you attached the the wire down with any thing so they are not all over the place?

thanks for getting back to me :)

I just tie them together with an elastic band, then angle them so they touch the floor with the hide on it. I use an exo terra hide, they're quite heavy and hold them down no problem
Hissyfit Posted - 21/06/2012 : 18:10:16
quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel

Hissy fit, I was thinking of growing the snake on till he/she was about 2-3ft long and then moving him/her? Sound good?
One of these would sit nicely on top of my other viv too which is why I was thinking of getting one of these instead of another full blown sliding glass doors viv as I don't have room height wise. I need something that can sit nicely on top of my viv in a height gap of about 13". The full measurements for the XL are 36" x 8" x 15"... I'm guessing this means 3ft long, 8" tall and 15" Deep(front to back)?
Plus at £70 it's not too bad, the only shop *near* me that sells reptile stuff is a Pet's At Home store and their 2ft version is about £60...

It's an ideal size for a 2-3ft snake I've just moved my 11 month old into the 24" one and he's just over 2ft. Yes, you have the measurements right, so it would fit where you want it to go.
alib Posted - 21/06/2012 : 18:09:26
quote:

quote:

hey

just woundering how do you tie the wires down and the thermo probe to the glass where the heat matt is, what the best thing to use? would tape be ok?

No, never use tape inside the viv it can cause a lot of scale damage if it sticks to the snake.I just put the probes (mat stat & thermometer together with a small elastic band) under the hide. I've used sealant to hold them in place with my other vivs, but it didn't hold very well with the monkfield.

Thanks i will just try and hold it down with a hide then... Do you attached the the wire down with any thing so they are not all over the place?

thanks for getting back to me :)
Hissyfit Posted - 21/06/2012 : 18:05:32
quote:

hey

AcidicAngel Posted - 21/06/2012 : 16:22:51
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Um only thing with that is - you have to lift the lid up to get in to it - so would have to get it down off the other viv every time you need to clean it out or whatever?

Nah there's actually quite the gap between where the lid would be and where the bottom of my bed is

My problem would be, where do I put my breeding tank for my Betta's when I've got this up there?
alib Posted - 21/06/2012 : 16:10:07
hey

smart bunny Posted - 21/06/2012 : 14:46:37
Um only thing with that is - you have to lift the lid up to get in to it - so would have to get it down off the other viv every time you need to clean it out or whatever?
AcidicAngel Posted - 21/06/2012 : 14:17:36
Forgot to add this into my post(doh!), I use a Liquid Baby Sterilzer Water mixture for cleaning my reptiles out :)
25% Baby Sterilizer, 75% water in a spray bottle, cheap, safe and simple
AcidicAngel Posted - 21/06/2012 : 14:14:17
NaomiR Posted - 20/06/2012 : 19:20:30
I really like mine, I collected it today so going to spend a bit of time cleaning it out and getting it all ready - I can't just use washing up liquid though can I? and silly me forgot to get a reptile safe disinfectant what a wally okay will have to clean it out and set it up tomorrow!!
Hissyfit Posted - 20/06/2012 : 14:28:27
The XL version is 36"x15", so the snake would need to be well grown before it could go in to the viv. Saying that, it would probably do the corn for life as it's such a good size
AcidicAngel Posted - 20/06/2012 : 11:00:37
Hiya, I'm thinking of getting the XL version to keep a corn in. Obviously I'll start it out in a RUB and move it up when appropriate, I'm thinking of getting one for if I get a nice Pattern/Colour from my Pairing(Not sure of Hets in Parents). Would you think one of these would be OK?
Hissyfit Posted - 19/06/2012 : 20:52:47
quote:
Originally posted by NaomiR

I'm really glad I found this thread, a friend is lending me this exact same viv to house my first corn so now I know what heat mat to buy and how to fit it

I've been really pleased with it. The temps are great, and it looks like it will last my corn for a good while yet

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000