The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 i don't know how to handle my corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Roffe Posted - 10/06/2012 : 21:39:58
so i've had him for 14 days now, and i really want to start handling him. but when i pick him up and try to hold him in my hands he is so fast, i can't control him, and he gets away from me...i gave him a sock in the terrarium that i have carried in my pocket, as i've heard that should help him getting used to my smell. but he is just too wild when i pick him up. what do i do?
the few times i've held snakes before, they've just laid calmly in my hands..i'm not used to handling snakes at all
i don't want to stress him out and scare him to death
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
viraleye Posted - 19/06/2012 : 12:06:17
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

The secret that nobody likes to talk about is I bet everyone on here at some point or another has had a corn snake get away from them AKA drop them.

yep, i hold my hands up, I've dropped my Cyrus when he was a hatchling. I was very new to snakes back then though and was letting him crawl up my arm and he just let go and hit the floor!
Roffe Posted - 19/06/2012 : 11:40:10
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Yay!!!!! So glad to hear you are making progress, you sounded so sad in your 1st post! :D

hehe...i was. i was so frustrated
Elicia Posted - 18/06/2012 : 23:08:25
They calm down. Percy will sit in the crook of my arm now while im watching TV but sometimes the sudden stillness means a poop is on the way!
smart bunny Posted - 18/06/2012 : 22:37:06
Yay!!!!! So glad to hear you are making progress, you sounded so sad in your 1st post! :D
Roffe Posted - 18/06/2012 : 22:34:50
i just wanted to say that we're making great progress. we've gone from "shooting out of my hands and falling on the floor" to "slithering slowly and calmly from hand to hand". there's still a little nervousness, but we're getting there slowly. i am so happy
and i don't think i could have done it without you guys' help and advice. this forum is the best
smithy190111 Posted - 13/06/2012 : 13:15:27
I recently brought 2 corns. They are very fast, But all i can suggest is just get him out and keep up with him supporting all his weight, Once he has gotten used to you and that your not a threat then he should calm down, When you get Him/Her out just remain calm and hopefully when hes/shes been out for a couple of minutes should hopefully slow down for you,

Just persevere with him/her and all should come naturally in the near future.

MATT :)
serena_08 Posted - 13/06/2012 : 12:47:25
My OH has dropped all 3 of ours lol, he only holds them for a minute whilst I sort something out! Luckily he is 98% of the time sat down, so they fall about 10 inches lol. Fingers crossed I've not yet done it, although Rubi has sneakily took herself for a wander and was found half hour later with her head sticking out from between the cushions. Almost as if to say 'Are you bothered I ran away?!'
Hissyfit Posted - 13/06/2012 : 12:19:55
He'll calm down in time Best to kneel on the floor when you handle him so he doesn't fall too far That's what I do with Orlando, and only recently been handling Falco without the worry of dropping him, he was such a nightmare to begin with and would launch himself out of your hands Orlando doesn't like hands, so trying to keep hold of him without your hands can be quite a challenge lol.
Roffe Posted - 13/06/2012 : 00:06:33
yeah, i have dropped him. but i was sitting down, so he didn't fall that far
a2c7 Posted - 12/06/2012 : 18:52:08
Ginn has certainly been on a flying trip when she lunged at my OH!

We let our baby corn go into our sleeves - it's warm, dark and I assume feels safe for them. Now Ara is pretty calm whenever we get him out, despite still being young.
Dalymad2 Posted - 11/06/2012 : 21:23:03
All three of mine have at some point got away from me, as they are in the bedroom when young they have landed on the bed. As they become more acustomed to you they relax , you relax and then they just sit with no problems.
Spreebok Posted - 11/06/2012 : 20:48:40
quote:
The secret that nobody likes to talk about is I bet everyone on here at some point or another has had a corn snake get away from them AKA drop them.

Haha, yes, I'm sure everyones done it! I know I have, good thing corns tend to bounce lol, had a baby Bosc launch itself from my hands just the other day, didn't even give me a chance to cup my hand over him, landed on the floor with a right splat! Thankfully I'm short and he was fine, but you never expect them to be that fast!
Roffe Posted - 11/06/2012 : 20:32:35
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if he's only a baby you need to be fast with your fingers, let him crawl between them instead of over all your hand at once.

he is a year old, but he's very small (about 30-40 cm)
he is sooo fast, but i will try this
eeji Posted - 11/06/2012 : 18:25:53
if he's only a baby you need to be fast with your fingers, let him crawl between them instead of over all your hand at once.
lotabob Posted - 11/06/2012 : 00:11:45
The secret that nobody likes to talk about is I bet everyone on here at some point or another has had a corn snake get away from them AKA drop them. The idea to handle over a box is good, I used a towel over my knee to stop Spot having places to hide should he leave my hands for an explore.

You dont control them though, if you try they will only fight you, you let them do what they want and 'guide' them where you would like them to go but dont expect them to take any notice.

The best thing is just get stuck in, hold them for a little bit every day that you can, they soon get used to you but Spot is nearly 2 and still does as he pleases and now he is strong enough to do it regardless. I let him though, I can restain him if needs be but for the most part I try make handling enjoyable and not stressful for him and for me.
Roffe Posted - 10/06/2012 : 23:59:15
thanks for your advice

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Try handling him whilst leaning in a big box, that way, if he does shoot out your hands, he can't go far :)

i will try this next time
Spreebok Posted - 10/06/2012 : 23:29:24
Try handling him whilst leaning in a big box, that way, if he does shoot out your hands, he can't go far :)
QueenVic Posted - 10/06/2012 : 23:04:39
Aww bless.
It'll get better the more you do it. No corn 'likes' being handled, they just get used to it and learn that you're not a threat.

Keep trying and he will calm down eventually :)
let us know how it goes
Roffe Posted - 10/06/2012 : 22:41:52
he musked me
Roffe Posted - 10/06/2012 : 22:40:48

quote:
Originally posted by tommy

the best thing when handling is to stay calm. he isnt trying to escape, hes just trying to explore. the best you can do is keep up with him and make sure you support all his weight. it will get easier over time hope this helps.

thanks for your advice. i try to stay calm, but it's not easy when he's so fast...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000