The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 new viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daveyd Posted - 09/06/2012 : 19:50:27
hi all !! really could do with some advice as i have been given conflicting advice from various quarters,
we have just bought a new viv for our 10mth old snow corn, measurements are 36"x16"x16". we were told the heat mat ( with no thermostat ) that we used in the hatchling viv would be suffice under the substrate, which we have done , put a resin hide over this, with a 60w "amber" reflector lamp above, but this makes the hide hot to touch. the dial thermometer is reading approx' 92 degrees ?
so 1st off is this ok ??

2nd we have been told that the bulb should not be used with our corn, as it can cause eye problems ??

please please proper advice from anyone who can offer it ??
as we are confused.com
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
daveyd Posted - 16/06/2012 : 18:12:14
ta all for the info , now have new heat mat and habistat stat' and lamp has been removed
kdlang Posted - 11/06/2012 : 09:13:43
I echo all the above. All heating equipment should be controlled by a thermostat to ensure snakey doesn't get burned and that their home is at the correct temperatures for them to be happy and You don't really need a bulb as well as a heatmat as corns absorb heat through their bellys.
lupi lou Posted - 09/06/2012 : 20:05:55
as a above, also i would definatly get a stat and not bother with the lamp. are you using a digital thermometer to moniter your temps, if not i'd add that to the shoping list too as they are far more accurate that the dial ones :-)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 09/06/2012 : 20:04:59
Simple rule is no heat source without control meaning your mat must be controlled by a thermostat, you do not need additional heat in a 3ft viv.
Donnie Posted - 09/06/2012 : 20:04:29
You need a thermostat with the mat and that will be sufficient without a lamp. The mat needs to cover between 1/3 and 1/2 of the floor space of your viv and should not go above 30 deg C. You will need a digital thermometer as well to monitor the temps as the stat dials are not 100% accurate.
Donnie Posted - 09/06/2012 : 20:01:28
Switch it off now, it is to hot

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000