The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 couple of questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Scott-P Posted - 09/06/2012 : 18:34:54
im just preparing a new vivarium for my corn and everything is now sorted...almost.

the heat light is in place with its guard now fabricated to fit, i also have a dimming thermostat. I dont quite understand where to put the probe as on my heat mat, i just put it directly on the mat. so far ive been told to mount it on the back of the viv, on the floor, and also about an inch off the ground. starting to now get a bit confused with this one...

i also bought some lighting for the vivarium today for my own benefit, i was going to go down the LED route, but ended up buying an arcadia light controller and repti glo tube today. more off impulse than anything. I was told this was all well and good by the shop, but since ive got home ive only read bad things about tubes being used with a corn... also would i need a guard for a tube light?

once these issues are sorted i can start moving my snake, albeit a bit more decorations to be added as its a lot bigger than her current faun. thanks
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a33272 Posted - 09/06/2012 : 19:46:56
Over head thermostats so anything controlling a ceramic or bulb, there's differant ways u can attach it at the back, sucker cups generally won't work on a wooden viv due to the texture. Cable clips are on or u could use the small screw in hooks an jam probe under it.
Scott-P Posted - 09/06/2012 : 19:39:26
Sorry to sound stupid but what is a oht thermostat? I have an Habistat dimming thermostat. And that's how I'll set it up then, just use bluetac or a sucker cup to attach it to the back? Thanks for your help
a33272 Posted - 09/06/2012 : 19:24:02
I/r isn't visible to snakes, I use 2 for my JCP on a dimming stat. So I'd use it 24/7 an see how u get on. As for probe placements for OHT thermostats, I tend to fix my stat probes to the side of viv that way they can't be moved or disturbed an then use a thermometer probe where I'm trying to set the temp to for a reading while setting the stat.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 09/06/2012 : 19:06:12
Donnie is correct, the probe is placed on top of the substrate directly under the heat bulb, I would incorporate a mat for night heat and leave on 24/7 set slightly lower in temp than the dimming stat and only run the bulb for 12 hours. In my 4ft vivs I use 2% UV tubes with Arcadia controllers, not a problem.
Donnie Posted - 09/06/2012 : 18:56:53
Sorry but I never looked into this type but I suppose the stat and thermometer probe pleacement will be the same.
Scott-P Posted - 09/06/2012 : 18:53:29
its an exxo terra infared bulb... all it emits is red light. i was told to leave this on 24/7 connected to the stat?
Donnie Posted - 09/06/2012 : 18:50:48
Are you using a light emitting heat bulb? If you are you have to think about how you are going to keep the temps up at night when it is switched off. If you are using a ceramic bulb then you obviously dont need worry about it. With my ceramic setup I put the stat and thermometer probe on top of the substrate directly underneath where the bulb is.
Scott-P Posted - 09/06/2012 : 18:37:28
i forgot to mention, the vivarium is going to be heated by the light, there isnt a heat mat. im going to use the faun and heat mat to hopefully get a second snake, i have no experience with heat lights so thats where the confusion comes from. thanks

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000