The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 feeding on aspen?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tommy Posted - 06/06/2012 : 22:55:03
i know its recommended to feed in a RUB for example, but does anyone just feed in the vivarium? i have aspen for substrate in my faunarium and was wondering what you guys think.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
voodoo Posted - 09/06/2012 : 20:39:40
this is an interesting one, I was told to feed outside the viv cus it can make snakes viv defensive, but most of you seem to feed inside, and Im guessing you have no problems!
343guiltyspark Posted - 09/06/2012 : 13:37:12
Orlando feeds in the viv so we keep him on kitchen roll, but Voldemort and Falco feed in RUBs.
Spreebok Posted - 09/06/2012 : 12:16:56
I feed out the vivs, usually just by chucking them on the floor haha, but my two littlest corns get put in cricket tubs because they dont stay still when eats and without the sides to push against they scoot backwards all over the place, dragging the mouse with them. I know in the wild they don't have debris free food, but hell, this ain't the wild and they're certainly rather removed from wildcaught ancestors, so why should I take the risk, even if it is tiny?
boozysuzy Posted - 09/06/2012 : 11:41:12
I feed cornflake in her viv. I put a big thin piece of cardboard over the substrate and pop her food on that. I take it out when she's done.
Starmist Posted - 09/06/2012 : 11:39:24
Jake has always eaten in his viv and like others have said dry the prey item before it goes in and nothing has ever stuck to it. However have recently changed his substrate to aspen and was a little worried about it so I put a sheet of kitchen roll down and he always sits on that and eats! However last feed we had run out so we put it in on the plate it defrosts on...he kinda looked like he was at a restaurant! Wish I got a picture now!
Sta~ple Posted - 07/06/2012 : 20:00:59
Its personal choice if to feed in viv or not. If you do, its recommend to put kitchen roll down or something else. I feed mine in tubs as its what I prefer, plus two of them would roll it off the kitchen roll and drag it about everywhere and I am am a worry wort.
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 19:54:54
Yep, all mine get fed in their tubs, on their substrate. I feed dry prey items, but I've never had an issue even when substrate is ingested.
QueenVic Posted - 07/06/2012 : 19:51:19
quote:
Originally posted by cobweb251

i feed mine in a rub and not in the viv. I use beech chips and the chances of one of them going with the mouse is not very likely but they can get aggressive of their viv if being fed there. not a problem when they are small...

Cant say mine have ever been aggressive.. then again i guess it comes down to each individual corn snake.

I think if you use tweezers they don't associate your hand with food.
I don't like the idea of using a RUB just cause they need to be put back into the viv after. And for convenience Id much rather just keep them in the viv. Obviously keeping an eye on them, but as long as the mouse is dry i cant see there being any problems.
sammicat300 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 19:21:20
I started feeding my old snake in the viv as her previous owners told me to do so and then she became viv' defensive so I'd say feed in a RUB
kev 5 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 18:13:46
i used to put a 12inch square peice of perspex in the viv and put the mouse on that for one of my snakes that would only eat in his viv
lupi lou Posted - 07/06/2012 : 16:55:32
i viv feed, but mine are also on cage carpet at the minuet so no chance of digesting substrate. i feed using tongs so that my hand isn't associated with food.
scottishbluebird Posted - 07/06/2012 : 16:34:54
Just put down kitchen roll
cobweb251 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 15:19:24
i wait until the lump has moved down and then just let them slither out of the rub into their viv
chrisc Posted - 07/06/2012 : 14:30:42
when i used to feed in a rub i would then tip a corner towards the viv door an let them crawl back in.
ive not had any of my snakes be agressive when i go in their viv without food
Dalymad2 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 10:37:11
Just wait until the lump has moved down a little way then gently return to the viv and all should be good.

Sleeper341 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 10:22:11
Noob question alert!!!!!!

If you feed outside the Viv (eg in a rub) do you return your snakeys back to the viv immediately after they've eaten as I keep reading you shouldn't handle them for a couple of days after a feed. I pressume it's ok once they've eaten to pick them up and put them back in the viv then leave them for a couple of days?

Thanks
Dalymad2 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 10:15:51
If i do feed in the viv I clear a space for the mouse, but normaly feed in a rub.
cobweb251 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 09:20:31
i feed mine in a rub and not in the viv. I use beech chips and the chances of one of them going with the mouse is not very likely but they can get aggressive of their viv if being fed there. not a problem when they are small...
chrisc Posted - 07/06/2012 : 06:06:32
i used to feed in a rub but now feed all of mine in the viv as its easier i defrost in water then completly dry the rats off with a hair dryer so theres less chance of any aspen getting stuck/ingested.
a few little bits of aspen wont cause any problems although my rat snake did get a bit stuck in his top jaw an caused a bit of mouth rot but that was bad luck an a very slim chance of it happening again.
with my little hognose i put his pinkys on one of his cardboard hides an he eats off of there
nickyff Posted - 07/06/2012 : 01:43:10
the ingestion of substrate problem is because it's cellular fibre, which snakes' digestion systems are not designed for.
i have a king snake that absolutely refuses to eat in a rub, and will only eat in her viv. being a king she tends to drag the mouse around for ten minutes before eating, so the sticky substrate problem is quite major- I've found that after defrosting,(which I do in warm water) if I dry the mouse thoroughly by rubbing it in kitchen roll, like you would after as if it had had a bath, but without using talcum powder afterwards , then its usually dry enough that no aspen sticks to it, however much she drags it around.
hth

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000