The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Electrical Problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cypher Posted - 06/06/2012 : 04:53:55
G'day guys,
the weather's getting colder here Down Under & I'm concerned as to whether my heat mat OR thermostat is acting up.

The electrical set-up has been the same for several years now. The heat mat is plugged into the thermostat & the thermostat probe sits above the mat to register the heat. Suffice to say, the heat mat is outside/underneath the viv floor whilst the probe is inside, on the viv's floor.

The thermostat is programmed to keep a constant 28C & a warning "beep" goes off when the temp fluctuates by 4C, either over or under 28C.

Well the thermostat has been beeping over the last two days & the temp reading has been 24C setting off the warning beep.

I simply can't work out whether it's the heat mat OR the thermostat that may be faulty.

Anyone else had a similar situation?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalymad2 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 10:22:47
I have used both Glass and Wooden vivs , you need a gap aprox 5mm -10mm for ventalation with glass outside the viv for the mat,
wooded viv inside under thin layer of subterate should be no problem.
Enjoy winter its not that warm here though in summer.
smart bunny Posted - 07/06/2012 : 10:08:40
Wooden vivs they have to go inside as the heat would never penetrate otherwise. Glass ones they go on the outside if you read the heat mat instructions - I think there is supposed to be a small air gap too (hence why it shouldn't be inside) but I'm not sure - I think people do put them inside glass ones too.
cobweb251 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 09:24:34
i see your point, the heat mat i have looks to be laminated so water is unlikely to be an issue... As for fire i have a wooden viv so if it is going to be burn hot enough to catch fire it would be the same inside or out..... Someone else might be able to advise....
Cypher Posted - 07/06/2012 : 04:17:59
quote:
Originally posted by marc_sg

Wudnt it be better to put the heat matt inside the viv. It will cost u less to run it aswell

Every heat mat I've ever used had instructions specifically stating NOT to put it inside the viv but underneath the viv floor. I guess to protect it from water spillage or worst case scenario, a faulty mat setting the substrate on fire.

My gut feeling is leaning to the thermostat being faulty as my basic understanding of the heat mat would be that it either works or it doesn't & not just diminish in heat/power.

Anyway this Sunday coming, I'll be at home & have more time to observe & figure things out.

Cheers.
cobweb251 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 12:59:46
i agree with marc, i have mine inside the viv
marc_sg Posted - 06/06/2012 : 11:03:25
Wudnt it be better to put the heat matt inside the viv. It will cost u less to run it aswell
kev 5 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 10:37:15
i would just turn the thermostat up a few degrees, as long as it doesn't go over 29 which it shouldn't as it's getting colder where you are. as your heat maty is outside the viv it will be effected by colder weather
cobweb251 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 10:31:30
could just be that the room tempreture is going up and down because of the season, you might need to turn it up slightly to compentsate for this. just an idea....

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000