The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 too cold?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
voodoo Posted - 05/06/2012 : 19:15:08
hi all
I have a new snake, and am waiting for a digital thermometer to arrive this week (I only have rubbish dial ones at the moment). following advice given already, I have turned my mat stat down slightly as my corn was spending all his time on the cold side. he now spends all his time on the warm side. does this mean his viv is too cold? Ive tried searching and come across conflicting advice. most people seem to think it doesnt matter what the cold side temp is so long as the warm side is correct. I cant do much until the thermometer arrives, but if I find it is too cold what would be the best way of warming it? thank you
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 12/06/2012 : 11:30:59
That sounds fab.
voodoo Posted - 12/06/2012 : 09:51:56
well, have divided his viv up now, cus I think it was a little big. also got a digital thermometer and its 20C on the cold side, and reaches 28.9C before the matstat clicks off. so I think Im all good!
lotabob Posted - 08/06/2012 : 23:57:04
All we can do is provide them with the right temperatures and sufficient places to hide at each temperature. its then upto them to make use of what has been provided.
voodoo Posted - 08/06/2012 : 22:01:54
he isnt active that I see no. hes started being more in the middle of the viv however, so I guess the temps are ok
Dalymad2 Posted - 08/06/2012 : 11:12:27
Two of my corns spend most of the time in the cold end of thier vivs,the other one spends most of his time in the warm end , they are all in the same room,i think it comes down to individual choice,so long as your snake is active and eating all should be fine.
voodoo Posted - 08/06/2012 : 09:47:01
he doesnt really spend time on the cold side though, thats why Im a bit concerned.
Donnie Posted - 08/06/2012 : 06:53:56
quote:
Originally posted by clodove-xx

both of my corn snakes spend time on the cold side, ive rang my local reptile room and they said its normal because they cant control their body temp so they need to space time between both. ive got apoopdesk lamp to add some heat which works fine and when the heatings on they always go to the hot side.

You should not use a desk lamp to add heat to your viv. If you have your setup right you should not have to add any heat. I suggest you read some of the stickies on here about setups.
clodove-xx Posted - 07/06/2012 : 23:35:08
both of my corn snakes spend time on the cold side, ive rang my local reptile room and they said its normal because they cant control their body temp so they need to space time between both. ive got apoopdesk lamp to add some heat which works fine and when the heatings on they always go to the hot side.
voodoo Posted - 07/06/2012 : 20:17:55
quote:
Cobweb251I wouldnt worry too much, mine loves spending time in the cold side. because thats where is fav hide is. Im moving it around tonight so should be interesting :)

hope it goes well!
cobweb251 Posted - 06/06/2012 : 10:40:52
I wouldnt worry too much, mine loves spending time in the cold side. because thats where is fav hide is. Im moving it around tonight so should be interesting :)
voodoo Posted - 05/06/2012 : 23:04:56
haha no problem
viraleye Posted - 05/06/2012 : 22:25:41
sorry :-/

voodoo Posted - 05/06/2012 : 22:14:39
she :p

I dont know how cold it is. pretty cold. heating has finally been turned on anyway so should warm up in my room
viraleye Posted - 05/06/2012 : 21:43:22
but he doesnt know if the warm end is right yet?
lupi lou Posted - 05/06/2012 : 21:11:19
as long as warm end is right temp the cold side doesn't matter as you can't really control it anyway.
Donnie Posted - 05/06/2012 : 21:11:04
How cold is your room? Can you put the heating on if it is that cold?
voodoo Posted - 05/06/2012 : 21:01:31
I cant turn it off, its freezing in my room! in any case hes spending all his time on the warm side now, and avoiding the cold side. the question was how do you warm the cold side if you find its too cold or doesnt it matter?
viraleye Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:56:11
I would just turn it off until your thermometer arrives and Dont feed.

If your that worried, why take the risk?
Sta~ple Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:45:11
Could be hes just using the hide which is his most fav. One of mine wont move from its fav hide no matter if its on the hot or cold
voodoo Posted - 05/06/2012 : 20:21:23
hey, put hand on the mat and it feels slightly warm to touch. the dial therm says 29C, but I know its not accurate

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000