The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New aggressive corn :(

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PurpIeMonkey Posted - 04/06/2012 : 12:40:37
Hi need some advice guy n girls :)

I have a 4 yr old corn who is doing well had him for bout 2 yrs and is a propper soft touch now (bit of a wimp if anything lol)I got my second corn about a month ago was told she a female (know there is no way to tell except probing) she about a year old and very aggressive has struck me twice and bitten me once have tried carrying round a sock and putting it her hide to get her use to me smell but doesnt seem to be working she is fine once Ive got her out but as soon as I take lid of RUB she starts rattling tail and pulls back to striking position am getting her out for roughtly 15-20 mins 3/4 time a week to get her used to me handling her but her mood and temperment does seem to be changing at all anyone got a ideas

thanks Martin
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 05/06/2012 : 17:36:03
Sorry Zee, you are now poop doomed.

Any claims to either being pooped upon or mauled must be supported by photographic evidence and a medical certificate from two independent medical practitioners.
Zee94 Posted - 05/06/2012 : 16:17:37
getting tagged maybe, not sure about getting pooped on haha! shadow hasnt pooped on my yet or tagged me although she has struck at me once. I hope I didnt just jinx everything having said that loool
Auld Baldy Posted - 04/06/2012 : 16:00:18
Getting tagged and pooped upon is all part of the fun of keeping snakes.
PurpIeMonkey Posted - 04/06/2012 : 14:56:54
yep I laughed when he suggested it lol really is no point to gloves if you worried about tags you shouldnt really keep snakes lol
Auld Baldy Posted - 04/06/2012 : 14:10:16
Real snake wranglers don't wear gloves.

Wear your battle scars with pride. If the finger is still attached be sure to wash the wounded area. Plain soap and water does the trick.
PurpIeMonkey Posted - 04/06/2012 : 13:56:03
Ok was guessing it is just a keep going as I am situation, only trick I know is with socks lol will be trying to get her a new smaller hide today if shop is open guessing it wont be as bank hol thanks for advice if anyone else does have any tips or tricks to help then would love to know mate said to get gloves but I dont mind the bites, as were she's still quite small you hardly feel them more worried about stressing her out then a few little puncher marks lol
Auld Baldy Posted - 04/06/2012 : 13:47:28
Scrub and disinfect the hide and you can safely use the hide for your larger snake.
Auld Baldy Posted - 04/06/2012 : 13:45:08
It is not being aggressive, it is being defensive.The snake is only doing what it can to scare you (a big predator) away. It still needs time to get used to you the new surroundings.

As Mick said, try a smaller hide which it can cram into and feel more secure. Ice cream tubs or larger cardboard tubes are fine.
Before you lift the hide, get her attention by drumming your fingers on the sides of the rub and scratch around in the substrate. This will alert it that you are there.
Get her out every day but give 24 hours to digest after feeding. Once she gets used to the rattle at the door followed by a handling session she will learn that she isn't going to be eaten. Don't faff about, just gently scoop he up. The more you hesitate, the more it appears that you are getting ready to pounce.
She seems to settle once you get her out so you are on track. A month isn't really that long. Persevere and take the tags as part of the bonding process. She will eventually settle and even come to your hand once she gains confidence in you. Stick with it, it's worth the effort.
PurpIeMonkey Posted - 04/06/2012 : 13:25:25
Have been thinking of getting smaller hide cus my larger corn could make use of her one as he could do with a large hide in his cool end but looks like thats the only hide shes ever had so though she might not like it if I take it away as it would have her smell and visa versa my older may not like the hide as it smells of her. Am lil dissapointed cus she has lovely marking, is a snow corn just wish she wasn't so fiesty.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 04/06/2012 : 13:17:02
Possibly, I have always used the smallest hides I can as they feel more secure, but certainly hasn't worked for my one. Also have to watch mine when she has been fed, all the others are fine after about 10 mins but she will have a go for at least half an hour but you do learn to see their moods to a certain degree.
PurpIeMonkey Posted - 04/06/2012 : 13:07:24
Yeah she doesnt thrash about or anything once out in fact she does the oppersite and wraps her self around my arm can feel slight presser (sp?) but she is really calm ounce out of her tank and just sitts collidle (sp?) round my arm feel bad taking her out and stressing her her hide is quite large to be fair takes up most of the room in her RUB and is usually in her hide when I get her out so as soon as I lift the cave her tail starts going would a smaller hide help her...
Okeetee Mick Posted - 04/06/2012 : 12:50:55
If she's anything like my Okeetee just get used to it, the only one of mine like it, as you say fine when out but her viv is hers.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000