The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 substrate question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Roffe Posted - 02/06/2012 : 16:58:21
So the other day i bought the substrate that i'm gonna use for my snakes terrarium when i get it. i wanted to get chippings, but they did not have it the only kind they had at the pet store was bark and sand. so i had no choice but to buy the bark. and just now i read the nice little guide on here, where it says: it is often best to dry orchid bark on a baking tray in the oven as increased humidity for corns can cause RIs (Respiratory Infections)

great..i go and buy the wrong stuff...
anyway, does anyone else use bark and dry it in the oven? for how long should i dry it in the oven? and at how many degrees?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Roffe Posted - 03/06/2012 : 22:31:41
i gave it a half hour on 140 degrees (the lowest my oven can go), and i just hope it's enough...i don't know how to tell when it's "dry"
Callazagy Posted - 02/06/2012 : 22:12:39
Where do you order your megazorb from? I might give it ago as I really need to start cutting costs now with 7 snakes. Is it those 85l sacks you guys get?
Roffe Posted - 02/06/2012 : 22:02:43
thanks guys...

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Its fine to use but I think you'll get sick of it too eventually.

i'm already sick of it just thinking about i have to dry it before i can use it, and i regret that i've bought it. but now thati have, i'm gonna use it since it was damn expensive
ScalySituation Posted - 02/06/2012 : 20:10:37
sonnys on aspen, until my megazorb comes in the week :P gettin really excited lol
lotabob Posted - 02/06/2012 : 20:06:39
I have used bark for nearly 2 years and only just got sick of it. If its the dark stuff it discolours the snakes belly and is dusty but it smells lovely in its defence.

Its fine to use but I think you'll get sick of it too eventually. I've just ordered a massive sack of megazorb for a third of the cost of a small bag of bark.
mkmattyk Posted - 02/06/2012 : 19:49:19
I sometimes use bark... I have a special roasting tray i bought, as for the time it depends sometimes 30mins sometimes an hour it varies
mikeyd_26 Posted - 02/06/2012 : 19:14:40
100 degrees would be about right so it doesnt burn timing would prob depend on the amount :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000