The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Viv Size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alib Posted - 25/05/2012 : 22:59:39
Hello All,

i am very interested in getting my first Corn snake (my first snake) and have been doing a lot of research. i think i will prob get one around August.

Well any way i want to get a hatchling but i want to put him in a 36"l 18"w 22"h wooden viv. What i am planning to do is fill it with 3 different hides plus a bark tube and plants... when he gets bigger i will take some of this stuff out. is this really such a bad idea or do i have to put him a rub first and then upgrade? i mean if it was born in the wild it wouldn't be restricted, would it?

looking forward to hearing from you

cheers
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 28/05/2012 : 18:43:52
quote:
Originally posted by QueenVic

aye, this is the best forum for advice :) glad youve asked before getting your snakey

dont believe anything that a pet shop tells you, at the end of the day most of them just want to make a sale!

good luck with your new snake, and well done for finding out everything you can before getting it!!

Fixed your post for you Vic
alib Posted - 28/05/2012 : 16:52:35
ahh thanks that sticky is very good i def will be using that for when i set my new faun...

Sharks35 - what Morph is willow? looks like a very nice snake...
Sharks35 Posted - 28/05/2012 : 09:56:50
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

this is what i've got my sonny in atm, he's one at the beggining of june, he will be going into a 3footer next week. do bear in mind that the growth rates for corns can be so extremely different. http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/exo-terra-faunarium-large-flat.html

I also use this faun for my 4 month old...she loves it. Theres a brilliant sticky http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878 which is well worth a look at, i used this in my set up and was brilliant help.
QueenVic Posted - 28/05/2012 : 02:04:04
aye, this is the best forum for advice :) glad youve asked before getting your snakey

dont believe all that a pet shop tells you, at the end of the day most of them just want to make a sale!

good luck with your new snake, and well done for finding out everything you can before getting it!!
ScalySituation Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:52:47
your welcome :) it's what we're here for :)
alib Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:51:54
thanks for that it looks like most people use tap water think i will do the same.

cheers for your help.. always learning haha
ScalySituation Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:46:24
give this a lookie http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23337&SearchTerms=water
ScalySituation Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:42:28
depends if ur in a hard water area or not, there was a topic on that not long ago. i go straight from the tap, but some use bottled
alib Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:40:16
ok cheers for that..

just abit of a random question but do you just use normal tap water or do you have to put some thing in it to clean it?

Dalymad2 Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:27:05
Hi i used a exo terra 12 inch x 12 inch for the first year, very happy snake and no chance of escape.
ScalySituation Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:22:18
i have the thermometer in the faun, its the stat i got outside, theres a hole in the lid but it needed enlarging
alib Posted - 27/05/2012 : 21:20:06
yes i was looking at them 2... here is a very stupid question but how did you get the digi prob in the faun for the thermometer?
ScalySituation Posted - 27/05/2012 : 20:38:59
this is what i've got my sonny in atm, he's one at the beggining of june, he will be going into a 3footer next week. do bear in mind that the growth rates for corns can be so extremely different. http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/exo-terra-faunarium-large-flat.html
alib Posted - 27/05/2012 : 20:21:33
hey thanks for all yout feed back.. it a great help...

after listen to what you all had to say i have made my mind up that i will hold off getting the viv until i have a full grown snake. i do like the look of the monkfield terranium the dimesnions are H26x W44x D66cm.

i was just wondering how long i would keep the snake in this before miving him up to a adult size viv?

thanks again for all your help... i can't wait to get my snake now!!
Hissyfit Posted - 26/05/2012 : 14:40:21
If you really want to get the viv you could put a faunarium or breeding box (both plastic and very similar) inside the viv, then you'll have everything for when the snake is big enough to go into it. I have one of mine in a breeding box in the empty viv in my viv stack, he's far too small to put into the viv so will be in there for quite a while. It hard to imagine, but they are quite timid when young and sometimes won't eat if the viv is too big. The wooden starter kit you mention is probably a Monkfield vivarium, they have a hinged lid so no sliding glass doors to worry about and are great for young corns
viraleye Posted - 26/05/2012 : 14:36:23
Ideally a plastic butty box is what you need with air holes drilled out then increase in size as snakey grows.

You could get a larger viv and use a partition and slowly move the partition as it grows.

Mine is 9 months old and happily lives in a 9ltr RUB bought for about £6 - cheap as chips
a33272 Posted - 26/05/2012 : 12:20:33
A local shop to me sold mbr on here a 2 ft viv an said it was ideal for a hatchling. She brought the hatching 2 days later it escaped through the gap in the middle between the sliding glass.
Georgina Posted - 25/05/2012 : 23:50:15
Depends how big they are.
alib Posted - 25/05/2012 : 23:48:16
thanks for your advice...

just another thing then, i see alot of reptial shops starter kits for hatchlins come with wooden viv would you not recomend a wooden viv until it adult size?

sorry if these questions sound abit stupid but alot of advice out there goes against other people advice...

Thxs
Georgina Posted - 25/05/2012 : 23:13:15
True, a ild version of a corn snake would not be born in a box, but the aim of them being in a small enclosure is to make them feel secure enough to have you around. They are domestically breed and are not wild animals. I would put a partiton in your viv and gradually increase the size.

Some are fine with a big enclosure but a 3ft viv is big enough for an adult. X

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000