The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Advice please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
anniec Posted - 19/05/2012 : 13:06:01
Hi,

My 14 year old daughter saved to buy a corn snake and got him about 3 weeks ago. He's a hatchling, about 3 months old now. We got him from Sheffield Exotics and he's a lovely little guy.

He's feeding well and seems happy enough. Problem is he's become very agressive. Everytime you even open his tank he tries to bite you. My daughter is getting scared to handle him.

I'm just looking for some advice after a particullarly gruesome half a dozen bites this afternoon when we've come to clean his tank out. She dropped him whilst trying to put him back in his tank. He's very agitated and is slithering round his tank very quickly where as he's normally pretty slow moving. She said he felt slightly cold to the touch when she held him. His heat mat is on and is working and that side of his tank is warm.

any idea what could be causing this?

This site is fab and I read so much before we even went to look at getting him (his name is Eric)thank you in advance
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 21/05/2012 : 18:16:09
Just a possibility, but could he be getting ready to shed? The only time Corno has really fought against me getting her out (and by that I just mean seriously slithering away and grabbing hold of everything possible/tail rattling, not actually striking) was when she was just heading into shed. I hadn't realised at that point otherwise I'd have left her alone!! As soon as I got her out I realised her belly scales were cloudy and that's why she was being so difficult. Or alternatively - the person getting bitten hadn't been handling a mouse ready for feeding had they? If their fingers smelt of mouse then it may have thought it was food? May be totally wrong but just a couple of suggestions!!

As above,stick with it and he will get used to you :)
Auld Baldy Posted - 21/05/2012 : 14:36:59
He will calm down with regular handling. He's just being defensive (not aggressive) to scare away what he thinks is a big predator. Once he realises that he's not on the menu, he will soon come around.

As far as the gruesome bites are concerned, if you don't react to them he will learn that he's wasting his time. Just suffer the initial shock and he will either start exploring you like a big climbing frame or just curl up and enjoy the view.

When returning him to the viv, just hold your hand inside the viv and let him find his own way back to his hides.

All snakes will feel cool relative to your body temperature.

The dropping incident probably upset you and your daughter more than the snake. They are able to take the occasional knock in nature so don't worry about it.

Stick with it and you will soon have a trusting snake who will come to you when you open the door.
Mamma Posted - 21/05/2012 : 13:05:06
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

If he is defensive and gets left alone, he will learn this and keep doing it, he cant hurt at that size, so just ignore bad behaviour and take him out, get your daughter or you to put a clean sock next to skin or in a pocket to get your scent on it, place it in with him to get used to your scent

I can vouch for this 100%. I took in a mistreated adult corn who was very aggressive... plenty of patience esp with handling etc and the scent trick worked wonders. I took me a few months, but now over a yr on, hes like a puppydog lol
scottishbluebird Posted - 19/05/2012 : 15:32:54
If he is defensive and gets left alone, he will learn this and keep doing it, he cant hurt at that size, so just ignore bad behaviour and take him out, get your daughter or you to put a clean sock next to skin or in a pocket to get your scent on it, place it in with him to get used to your scent
anniec Posted - 19/05/2012 : 13:32:32
Yes we left him be for 7 days from when we bought him. We dont handle him for 48 hours after feeding. He's been handled successfully for 5-10 mins everyday.

I will get temps when I get home.

Thank you so far
Georgina Posted - 19/05/2012 : 13:27:16
Yup same as above. The tank should not feel warm at any point x
Donnie Posted - 19/05/2012 : 13:16:29
All information regarding his setup, stat used, temps, hides, substrate etc will be helpfull. If he is not completely settled yet this may cause some defensive responce from him. Once they are settled, regular handling of 5 to 10 mins a day (not for 48 hours after feeding) should help him get used to you and he will calm down with time.
ScalySituation Posted - 19/05/2012 : 13:08:29
did you leave him alone for a week (no feeding, no handling just water changes and poo checks) when you got him?

He could still be stressed by his new environment, also could you tell us more abour his set up? temps etc

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000