The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 POPPING WTFFFf???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
darrkang3l Posted - 21/03/2012 : 12:24:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ1g_kv_jko

i stumbled across this and it horrifies me... surely this can make the snake very uncomfortable? looks horrific imo! :(

anybody use this method and think its okay?

might just be me... lol
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LarkaDawg Posted - 22/03/2012 : 20:38:14
What kind of permanent damage can be done? I remember asking how to sex my corn Pan when I first got him (somewhere not on this forum) and was told that the easiest was popping. I gave it a try but I didn't really know what I was doing. I looked it up some more and read the 'let a professional do it at the bottom of the page' I was so worried at the time! I didn't want to say anything because of what a stupid mistake I had made!! I've had him for nearly a year now, and he was about 2 foot and aparently a year old but he was very small. It was a stupid thing to do and I didn't even stop to think, thinking that it was the done thing. I'm really worried, what kind of damage could I have done?
Mamma Posted - 22/03/2012 : 17:49:26
why are there no "like" buttons on this forum lol!
eeji Posted - 21/03/2012 : 21:21:10
this is how I sex all my hatchies. If its a definite male then once is enough and for any possible females they are done a few more times (not on the same day) to double check.
Auld Baldy Posted - 21/03/2012 : 20:50:27
The link is to a Kathy Love video. If she can't do it properly then nobody can.

sue2012 Posted - 21/03/2012 : 19:47:49
i pop mine as soon as i get them as hatchies but was hown by a breeder the right way to do this i still like to take mine to a reptlie shop or breeder just to make sure when they are big enough to be probed as unless i pop and its a boy im never 100% sure lol
lotabob Posted - 21/03/2012 : 19:46:36
That video does actually seem to show it gently done, I've seen worse that's for sure.
gmac Posted - 21/03/2012 : 19:37:09
Our hatchies are popped after the first first feed, we do it just the once (well I do it then my good lady will do it) Is best on young ones before they start getting a muscle mass at the tail and while they are still bendy / flexible.
Sta~ple Posted - 21/03/2012 : 19:00:15
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

It should only be done with young snakes and by a person who has been shown how to do it properly. You could cause permanent damage if you do it wrong. Check with local reptile shop, breeder or vet if you need to know.

This. Which is why it is rather worrying when you see videos on you tube on popping and people who can't even type properly then go "im gonna ty dat nw!!" "i try and it wee on me or it was puss i dnt kwn" I know people who pop snakes have to start from somewhere but still O.o;
Donnie Posted - 21/03/2012 : 18:49:10
When I bought Sid I asked the guy what sex he was and he popped him there and then, over in seconds and Sid didn't seem bothered.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 21/03/2012 : 16:47:36
quote:
Originally posted by georginasweeting

To be fair he didn't charge me, but I have been in there a couple of times to sort out my bosses tortoise.

Glad to hear it, just by coincidence I took four down to a reputable reptile shop yesterday and was shown how to do it properly and was all done in less than 3 or 4 minutes with no charge. There are some decent guys around.
Georgina Posted - 21/03/2012 : 16:40:46
To be fair he didn't charge me, but I have been in there a couple of times to sort out my bosses tortoise.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 21/03/2012 : 16:36:50
quote:
Originally posted by georginasweeting

Its normally done by the breeder and is perfectly normal. Its just as uncumfortable as getting them probed. Colne valley will prob for 15 pounds but he likes them to be atleast 2ft x

£15 is a ridiculous amount of money for something that takes 30 seconds to do
darrkang3l Posted - 21/03/2012 : 15:07:35
it still frightens me ahah! when mine are bigger ile just go get them probed :)
Georgina Posted - 21/03/2012 : 14:48:36
Its normally done by the breeder and is perfectly normal. Its just as uncumfortable as getting them probed. Colne valley will prob for 15 pounds but he likes them to be atleast 2ft x
Auld Baldy Posted - 21/03/2012 : 13:52:56
It should only be done with young snakes and by a person who has been shown how to do it properly. You could cause permanent damage if you do it wrong. Check with local reptile shop, breeder or vet if you need to know.
ScalySituation Posted - 21/03/2012 : 12:55:18
well sonny is about 60 cms long and i was told thats too big...
darrkang3l Posted - 21/03/2012 : 12:54:21
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

cos i guess some pet shops are afraid to get it wrong and get it in the neck

It can only be done on very small corns as far as im aware, which is probably why not many people talk about it

yeah i suppose! i wonder how big is too big to attempt :/
ScalySituation Posted - 21/03/2012 : 12:53:19
cos i guess some pet shops are afraid to get it wrong and get it in the neck

It can only be done on very small corns as far as im aware, which is probably why not many people talk about it
darrkang3l Posted - 21/03/2012 : 12:51:11
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

yeh, its the usual way of sexing smalll hatchlings, apparently its not too bad for them

howcome no pet shops can ever tell you the sex of hatchies and no1 ever mentions this method lol seems strange? :)
ScalySituation Posted - 21/03/2012 : 12:36:08
yeh, its the usual way of sexing smalll hatchlings, apparently its not too bad for them

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000