The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Do you swap your viv layout around?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Keefy Posted - 20/03/2012 : 21:49:49
I've a fairly large stash of hides, leafage and rocks from when I had Neo, my Leopard Gecko. I tend to empty Sherlocks viv each time I get him out, and am thinking about changing the layout. Just wondering if I do this is there any chance of it no longer seeming like home to him? Surely the scents that make it home will remain? He's only been back with us for about a month so i don't wanna freak the poor little guy out again!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 25/03/2012 : 11:26:19
Running a heat source without a stat is just plain stupid, no offence and I have been there and done that in the past. Vet bills cost more than a stat.
Keefy Posted - 24/03/2012 : 20:12:32
Hi Georgina, thanks for your reply.
I appreciate the time everyone has taken to throw their tuppence my way :)
I know to many on here a viv without a 'stat is like a car without an engine, and as I said I can see why people use them. We'll see where I end up, I'm still fine tuning his viv (and not just in respect of the temp)
A stat with a built in day/night fluctuation certainly sounds interesting.
I shall keep you all updated :)
Georgina Posted - 23/03/2012 : 22:21:49
quote:
Originally posted by Keefy

He has a heat mat. There is a lamp in the viv as you can see but it isn't generally used. Only occasionally during winter as our house gets quite cold.
The viv is currently running a degree or two under where I would like it to be, and as such I'm not running a thermostat at present. (cos it would be useless/pointless)
Next i'm going stick the viv on some insulation board, and if that doesnt get me a couple of degrees i'll be getting a larger heat mat.
I have 3 analogue thermometers as a guide, and a digital one I use for baking which I use to judge their accuracy.
I know people swear by thermostats, and I can see where they come from, but my aim is not to use one. I want to be able to maintain a temp in the high 20's during the day, but also get the drop during night which you wouldnt get with a 'stat.

i wouldnt put pointless and stat in the same sentence around here.

we all understand that some people have kept snakes without stats and have had no problems but if you matt malfunctions it will heat up before your plug trips.

if you look on surreypets you will see that there are stats adjust from day to night, even with a regular on off stat you could turn the dial down.

even though the substrate says safe for reptiles but thats not always the case, but again people have used it for years without problems.

do you have the digital thermometer on all the time, so at a glance you can tell 100 percent what the temp is?

all in all for 22 pounds you could get a potentionally life save piece of equipment and a 2 pound thermomter and purley just for piece of mind i would consider getting a stat and thermometer.

none of us mean to come across like we are saying do this do that but the majority regard having a stat as a must.

but i wouldnt try and sell not using a stat.

fab looking snake

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
all of the above is my opinion and not fact or must.
Keefy Posted - 23/03/2012 : 21:28:47
Lotabob, thanks for your reply but maybe you missed a few things in my previous reply.
a) My thermometers are just a guide for me. I use a digital probe thermometer that I use in baking to confirm accuracy/floor temp.
b) My heat mat has a trip at the plug end, so there is no fear of the house burning down.
c) the bulb isn't used.
d) the substrate isnt gravel, its a specially designed substrate that is designed for reptiles and can be digested. Ive used it for years and never had a reason to doubt it.
lotabob Posted - 22/03/2012 : 18:51:31
quote:
Originally posted by Keefy

I'm not running a thermostat at present. (cos it would be useless/pointless)

REALLY?

Firstly, your thermometers are NOT reading how hot the mat is, so your reading of just under is hardly surprising as its inaccurate, the snake also does not hover over things as your thermometers are they actually sit on things, this is where the reading should be taken from (which you cant do with a dial thermometer, they read air temp.

Secondly, for the sake of £25 a thermostat stops the mat from overheating both in normal operation (I've not come across a mat that struggles to get over 30oC yet) and also if the mat malfunctions (this could also potentially stop your house burning down too). For a snake that has quite a low maximum tolerance to heat a stat is doubly essential.

Thirdly, bulbs MUST be statted, they kick out far too much heat to just be left running, even if you dont use them a lot when you do they need keeping in check.

A small observation also is its not recommended to keep them on gravel, its abrasive, it cant be broken down at all in the stomach and plays havoc with humidity as its not very absorbent of spills and poop/wee so can cause mould issues (even if it does look great).
smart bunny Posted - 22/03/2012 : 14:22:00
I didn't mention a stat? Just that the dial thermometers won't measure the temp of the actual mat where the snake could be sitting in the same way a digital one with a probe would. Is that a laminate flooring lid? Good idea lol!
Keefy Posted - 22/03/2012 : 14:05:08
He has a heat mat. There is a lamp in the viv as you can see but it isn't generally used. Only occasionally during winter as our house gets quite cold.
The viv is currently running a degree or two under where I would like it to be, and as such I'm not running a thermostat at present. (cos it would be useless/pointless)
Next i'm going stick the viv on some insulation board, and if that doesnt get me a couple of degrees i'll be getting a larger heat mat.
I have 3 analogue thermometers as a guide, and a digital one I use for baking which I use to judge their accuracy.
I know people swear by thermostats, and I can see where they come from, but my aim is not to use one. I want to be able to maintain a temp in the high 20's during the day, but also get the drop during night which you wouldnt get with a 'stat.
smart bunny Posted - 22/03/2012 : 12:57:51
He looks like a happy snakey :) Just as a warning - do you have a digital thermometer probe on the heat mat? (Or is that a heat lamp?) Those dial ones only measure the air temp around them, so the actual mat area if you have one is likely to be quite a bit hotter
Keefy Posted - 22/03/2012 : 10:45:17
I gave it a switch around last night when i fed Sherlock. Here's his viv

And him chowing down :)

He's been back with us a good few weeks now and really seems to be settling down. I handle him nearly every eve, and although he's a right livewire for a few mins he soon chills out in my hand.
claire_daz Posted - 21/03/2012 : 11:22:06
here's our set up
Corns7 Posted - 21/03/2012 : 09:48:42
I do it when I clean the viv, my corn willameana loves to explore new surroundings!
kdlang Posted - 21/03/2012 : 09:44:53
I usually have a bit of a change round when I clean them out. If you don't want to risk stressing him out, why not just change one thing at a time. I often just chuck in some cardboard tubes or boxes as I feel like it just to give them something new to explore
claire_daz Posted - 21/03/2012 : 09:29:22
we swop our's around when we do a full clean they love it
Simmy_82 Posted - 21/03/2012 : 07:32:19
I swap mine around once a month. Usually on clean out day.
scottishbluebird Posted - 21/03/2012 : 00:00:42
i am sure this will interest him, new stuff is usually facinating!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000