The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Viv temparature

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zee94 Posted - 16/03/2012 : 19:40:17
Is 20 degrees on the hot side and around 16 - 17 degrees on the cool side ok for a snake? just got mine today
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Katie.Dublin Posted - 20/03/2012 : 09:31:39
quote:
Originally posted by Toggsy

quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

You need to check the set up and thermometer positions. A Stat will not make the mat get any warmer, it only conrols the minimum and maximum range.

What set up do you have?

Viv or RUB size.
Size of mat and placement. Inside or outside.
What type of thermometer do you have and where are you measuring the temps from.

Was just about to ask the same also is it plastic,wood or glass as this will make a difference to the placement of the mat.
If its made of plastic or glass it needs to go under the viv/rub but if it's made of wood its needs to go inside the viv.
The probe for the stat needs to be in contact with the heat mat in order for it to regulate the heat .
Theres a sticky some where showing you the correct placement etc

Not necessarily, I have heat mats inside exo terras (glass)
nickyff Posted - 19/03/2012 : 20:50:10
no probs- another quick pointer- get the thermostat probe and thermometer probe and strap them together with a rubber band, (NOT sticky tape-V V dangerous to snakey) and make sure both are on the surface of the heatmat- then you can read the thermometer for an idea of actual temp and adjust the stat accordingly

-above is when mat is inside a wooden viv. if using a rub/faun, I think you put the stat on the mat underneath but the thermometer probe inside the faun, but you might want to check that with s one else cos I only have wooden vivs, so not entirely sure on that one.

best
Zee94 Posted - 19/03/2012 : 19:52:54
thanks nicky! :)
nickyff Posted - 18/03/2012 : 23:51:35
if the thermometer is a dial kind, then stick it in the cool end where its not so important to be accurate. they are notoriously unreliable. get a digital thermometer to have a better idea of the actual temp yr heatmat is reaching. i think that seapets or surreypets or swell reptiles are the cheapest. should be about a fiver or so. these sites are also good for cheap thermostats.
Zee94 Posted - 18/03/2012 : 22:04:15
Its a plastic RUB the mat is underneath and the thermostat is in contact with the heat mat
n/a Posted - 16/03/2012 : 23:44:55
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

You need to check the set up and thermometer positions. A Stat will not make the mat get any warmer, it only conrols the minimum and maximum range.

What set up do you have?

Viv or RUB size.
What type of thermometer do you have and where are you measuring the temps from.

Was just about to ask the same also is it plastic,wood or glass as this will make a difference to the placement of the mat.
If its made of plastic or glass it needs to go under the viv/rub but if it's made of wood its needs to go inside the viv.
The probe for the stat needs to be in contact with the heat mat in order for it to regulate the heat .
Theres a sticky some where showing you the correct placement etc
Auld Baldy Posted - 16/03/2012 : 22:19:14

What set up do you have?

Viv or RUB size.

Zee94 Posted - 16/03/2012 : 20:13:23
will do thanks :)
Georgina Posted - 16/03/2012 : 20:06:06
yes, turn the mat off for now. x
Zee94 Posted - 16/03/2012 : 20:05:21
okay will get it 2mro, will i be able to regulate the temp on the heatmat ie turn the temp up and down with the stat?
ScalySituation Posted - 16/03/2012 : 20:00:05
you really do need a stat, snakeys can get severe burns as well as low funny temps
Zee94 Posted - 16/03/2012 : 19:56:13
how do i regulate the temp on the heat mat? i have 2 thermometers one on the hot side one on the cold but no habistat.
ScalySituation Posted - 16/03/2012 : 19:55:00
not really, you want the hot end at 28 ish
Georgina Posted - 16/03/2012 : 19:53:46
needs to be between 26 and 29 on the hot side, that will bring the cool temp up a couple aswel.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000