The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 damp hide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Georgina Posted - 12/03/2012 : 20:17:02
so midnight has been in blue since the 6th of march, she has now cleared and has eaten and am just waiting for her to shed, but when she was in deep blue i noticed a slighter of retained eye cap and it is a teeny bit, i she has had a damp hide ever since to help her shed everything. i have use the moss that came with her hide. once she has shed can i put the moss in the airing cupboard to dry it out and re use it or do i chuck it and buy some more?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 13/03/2012 : 11:52:44
I usually just rinse mine in boiling water, drain the water off and squeeze out the excess then bag it up and freeze it. I don't often use it so don't see the point of having bags of it hanging around so just having a small piece in the freezer for emergencies suits me
Georgina Posted - 13/03/2012 : 11:45:49
My OH has decided she wants a white tree frog, so might grab a job lot when I get the set up but goona keep my eye on the lawn aswel. Thanks guys x
Blackcat Posted - 13/03/2012 : 11:42:14
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

haha thats one way of doing it, is the moss on ya lawn the same as spagnum moss or differant kind

It looked like sphagnum, but as there are so many different types of moss I wouldn't like to say it was definately sphagnum.
As long as it holds moisture and looked 'fluffy' to allow burrowing through it I didn't care.
As Morse had a complete whole shed this time it certainly worked, he had a disasterous 'bitty' shed the first time.
Sta~ple Posted - 13/03/2012 : 11:27:00
I used moss raked from my lawn too, looked very similar to sphagnum weather it not it was because of the loads of types of different mosses out there... think it was a mix to be honest.

Chucked it in the end as I kinda see damp hides being pointless for my corns.
a33272 Posted - 13/03/2012 : 11:03:51
haha thats one way of doing it, is the moss on ya lawn the same as spagnum moss or differant kind
Blackcat Posted - 13/03/2012 : 10:22:42
I collected my own from out of my lawn.
I did give it a really good wash, changing water loads of times and finally put it in a glass bowl and microwaved to kill any bugs which might have been present.
Worked well, Morse had a complete shed and moss now dry waiting for next time.
a33272 Posted - 13/03/2012 : 08:50:44
u can buy bags of the stuff from garden centres for a few quid so not worth reusing
Georgina Posted - 12/03/2012 : 20:34:58
cool thanks x
marc_sg Posted - 12/03/2012 : 20:34:01
ive reused mine before i didnt have any problems

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000