The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OloBurrows Posted - 12/03/2012 : 12:03:50
HI, had my baby corn a few weeks now, while he's been settling in I've only been handling him when im going to feed him. Whenever I catch him having a wander around i change his water or stroke him to get used to me but he's extremely nervy andusually runs at the sound of the tank being opened. Any advice to get him more confident being handled?

Also, should I only take him out when he's come out on his own or can I take him from his hide? (This is what I've been doing for feeding as I'm feeding him in a seperate tank and can't guarantee him coming out when I have a mouse defrosted)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 14/03/2012 : 14:02:07
Just keep at it and he will become less jumpy and settle down. Gradually increase the handling time.

A bandana you say, he must be a Rambo Morph then. Be careful if he starts grease-painting his face. That shows that he means business.
OloBurrows Posted - 14/03/2012 : 13:53:35
Thanks for all the advice. He's got a bandana in there now and he's coming out while im around alot more, still a bit jumpy when i pick him up but feels alot better
claire_daz Posted - 12/03/2012 : 22:52:01
how baby is baby ?
i have my snakeys out every night ..except after they have fed (48 hours) and while they are shedding ( personal preferance) but i still open viv every day change water look for snakey's and stroke them i have a rescue, sizzle who was not handled much but now he knows whats going happen he seems happy enough to come out and have a look around .....just be confident in your movements handle him a bit before you feed him im sure he would not mind start with 5 minutes and work you way up
Okeetee Mick Posted - 12/03/2012 : 21:25:21
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Definitely interrupt him and get him out - if you don't he'll never get the chance to get used to you! Corno didn't come out whilst we were around at all for the 1st 3 weeks, but I still got her out regularly so she would get used to us. After that she got braver and braver! By the way with the sock - carry it around in your pocket for the day then pop it in the viv :)

Couldn't agree more
smart bunny Posted - 12/03/2012 : 21:17:38
Definitely interrupt him and get him out - if you don't he'll never get the chance to get used to you! Corno didn't come out whilst we were around at all for the 1st 3 weeks, but I still got her out regularly so she would get used to us. After that she got braver and braver! By the way with the sock - carry it around in your pocket for the day then pop it in the viv :)
Auld Baldy Posted - 12/03/2012 : 18:24:17
Carrying a sock or some other object like a flannel is a recognized way of transfering your scent to it. Leave it in the viv and the snake gets used to it and therefore you when you put your hand into the viv. Remember, to a snake you / we stink.
OloBurrows Posted - 12/03/2012 : 18:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

it'll be ok taking him out of his hide, maybe you could carry a sock around for a day or two and put it in the tank with him so he can get used to your smell

Made me laugh. had to think for a second if you were being serious or taking the mick.
Blackcat Posted - 12/03/2012 : 13:29:45
I can't say any more than Scaly, just move hide and scoop out gently.
One of mine is quite bold and stops out when I open the viv, the other I always have to 'find' from its hiding place and have had both of them from last December.
ScalySituation Posted - 12/03/2012 : 12:49:16
it'll be ok taking him out of his hide, maybe you could carry a sock around for a day or two and put it in the tank with him so he can get used to your smell

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000