The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Lava Rock

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gazza89 Posted - 08/03/2012 : 13:56:21
Hi, i am looking at changing my corn snake tank around a bit and i am thinking of placing a few bits of lava rock in there for him to climb on and into. Has anyone done this before or has anyone got a reason why it would be a bad idea.

Cheers
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
paulie78 Posted - 08/03/2012 : 23:17:16
ok having read the thread in that post i can safely say id have been freaking out lol
Katie.Dublin Posted - 08/03/2012 : 19:56:39
and fixer of all problems!
Auld Baldy Posted - 08/03/2012 : 19:45:22
When in a jam, send for Katie the Extractor.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 08/03/2012 : 19:40:44
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Depends on how porous it is and whether snake might get jammed inside it. If it resembles the hide in this topic then don't use it.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12352

Oh christ that was a tense few minutes hahaha. Lucky I've always got my trusty tools at hand
paulie78 Posted - 08/03/2012 : 19:27:07
Having kept lava rock in some of my fishsetups i certainly wouldnt use it for my snakes its abrasive and brittle and the dust could cause problems i wouldnt use it mate as Baldy says find a nice bit of wood instead
Auld Baldy Posted - 08/03/2012 : 16:53:20
Hmmm! I would be a bit reluctant about putting something like that in the viv as there looks to be quite sharp edges on it. It would be OK if the snake just crawled over or basked on it but it could cause a bit of damage if he used it as a scratching post for starting off a shed. A 4 foot Corn can exert a fair bit of push with its snout. Just watch one shoving against the glass door edges.

I'd go with a nice branchy bit of wood instead.
mkmattyk Posted - 08/03/2012 : 16:16:35
i have a few lava rocks myself, but thought it was too rough.... for a hatchie anyways
gazza89 Posted - 08/03/2012 : 15:10:49
thanks for the reply, it is nothing like the hide you have mentioned. The rock is http://www.livefish.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/cave_rock_1.jpg i have it in my fish tank and was thinking it might look good in with the corn. He is about 4ft long but not very round so theres no worries regarding him getting stuck. Im just not sure about the roughness of it.

Thanks
Auld Baldy Posted - 08/03/2012 : 14:21:20
Depends on how porous it is and whether snake might get jammed inside it. If it resembles the hide in this topic then don't use it.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12352

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000