The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Habistat Mat Stat and Heat Mat Combination

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Blackcat Posted - 06/03/2012 : 15:42:33
I didn't know that you could buy a combination with the mat wired directly into the Stat.
I have only come across the Mats and Stats as seperate items before, has anyone else come across these?
I only ask as I just bought one, second hand but clearly never used, it came with a viv set up apparently and they didn't need it.
Bargain at a tenner, can always cut the mat off and wire a socket thingy onto it.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 09/03/2012 : 10:09:55
Total bargain! And like you say, perfect for those particular vivs. If 1 part does go wrong it is no different to rewiring a plug to separate them either I wouldn't have thought?
lupi lou Posted - 08/03/2012 : 18:05:49
I definatly wouldn't grumble at paying a tenner!!
Blackcat Posted - 08/03/2012 : 13:37:33
It is good to find out it is a 'proper' item, and agree that being sold in starter kits it means new keepers get an important piece of kit to keep their snake safe.
It does seem a strange idea, but as Exo Terra tanks are designed for the Mats to be placed below the glass, (not inside) there is no need for threading cables through holes and with it wired directly into Stat you remove a 'bulky' connection from your set up.
I think I got a bargain for £10
a33272 Posted - 08/03/2012 : 12:16:18
good to know, still a strange way of doing it though lol. so agree with ya rewiring idea to make it more use able
Sta~ple Posted - 08/03/2012 : 11:53:21
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat

Just to let people know it is a ligite item produced by Eurorep (Habistat).
Have just got off the phone to them, it is produced for Exo Terra to sell with complete set ups for corn snakes or leopard geckos to be sold in Pets at Home.
My mind is now setled to the fact it is NOT a bodge job and there will be no problem with using this item.
As it is produced for Exo Terra/Pets at Home it is not on the Habistat website.
Hope this answers every ones doubts regards this item, and a big thankyou for you lot in making me check with the manufacturer - had a really useful conversation with them

That's good to hear :) I guess this also means if people buy the set-ups and haven't properly researched that the snakes will have a stat at least :D
Blackcat Posted - 08/03/2012 : 09:25:50
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

The other issue you will have is if the mat gets bust you need a new mat and stat, likewise if the stat busts.

As previously mentioned I will cut the cable between Mat And Stat and get my Brother-in-law (Qualified electrician) to wire a trailing socket onto the Stat, think my DIY is up to wiring a normal plug onto the Mat
Blackcat Posted - 08/03/2012 : 09:22:05
Just to let people know it is a ligite item produced by Eurorep (Habistat).
Have just got off the phone to them, it is produced for Exo Terra to sell with complete set ups for corn snakes or leopard geckos to be sold in Pets at Home.
My mind is now setled to the fact it is NOT a bodge job and there will be no problem with using this item.
As it is produced for Exo Terra/Pets at Home it is not on the Habistat website.
Hope this answers every ones doubts regards this item, and a big thankyou for you lot in making me check with the manufacturer - had a really useful conversation with them
Katie.Dublin Posted - 07/03/2012 : 23:50:54
Either way... a tenner is good value! Won't go any harm provided you monitor temps anyways!
a33272 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 23:47:29
bodge is abit strong. it could of been done by a qualified engineer. an id guess its only 2 wires inside so wouldnt be rock science to anyone with a bit of diy knowledge. we dont know where its from, who ever done it may offer there own full warranty for it if it becomes faulty etc due to what what they have done.
gmac Posted - 07/03/2012 : 23:27:44
Habistat dont do anything like that, is certainly not on their website. I really would expect something like that would be on their site. The other issue you will have is if the mat gets bust you need a new mat and stat, likewise if the stat busts.
lotabob Posted - 07/03/2012 : 23:26:27
Its a bodge job. I'd be a bit worried about the wiring that has gone on in there if I was you. Someone somewhere has bought in some mat-stats and heat mats and printed a sales label for themselves and stuck it on slightly wonky.
Sta~ple Posted - 07/03/2012 : 22:56:03
Maybe some kind of super duper new one and they haven't updated their site and not many people are stocking? Suppose if shops have them it maens there are less cables and stuff to hide away. Are were cables go into the stat like that on other mat stats? My pulses have like thick rings around where the cables go into the stat.
a33272 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 22:26:22
dont think its old model as its got 2 lights, the old ones only had one
Sta~ple Posted - 07/03/2012 : 18:59:54
Hrm maybe some e-mailing to Habistat is in order? Maybe since the dude worked at p@h they are some kind of strange shop ones or maybe an old model or something?
a33272 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 13:41:13
id guess the same, i think who ever puts the set up together that the person originally got are the ones that re wire the mat to the stat. cant see it being done by habistat as would mean taking it apart to change the mat which in theory would void the warranty
Blackcat Posted - 07/03/2012 : 13:37:37
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

strange nothing ive ever seen an the barcode doesnt even scan. the stickers on the mat, are they stuck on or under the laminate. all my habistat mats the stickers are under the laminate

Have just checked, the stickers are stuck on, not under the laminate.
I have another 11"x11" Habistat Mat, just checked that and the sticker is under laminate, but all numbers on it are the same, just doesn't have the additional label, it also looks identical in every way.
Maybe it is made for Viv complete set ups only.
a33272 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 13:15:14
strange nothing ive ever seen an the barcode doesnt even scan. the stickers on the mat, are they stuck on or under the laminate. all my habistat mats the stickers are under the laminate
Blackcat Posted - 07/03/2012 : 12:47:54
Ok have taken some pics

Last pic just shows it is a normal Mat Stat, middle pic shows there is no socket, just a mat, stat and probe.
First pic shows the label on the Mat
Hope this helps, I have never seen before, but the chap I bought it off said he used to work in Pets at Home, and they used them there!
This one came with a set up he bought, but he didn't need it so sold it to me for £10
Mort13 Posted - 07/03/2012 : 12:30:09
Never heard of these before. Will be interested to see pics too if you can get some up.
Sta~ple Posted - 07/03/2012 : 12:23:29
I've seen heatmats with dimmers, you set the flow if you like from like cool to hot but they don't monitor temps as they have no probe, that was the closest thing I've seen.

I'm kinda interested to in what it looks like...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000