The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Vivarium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kazarooney Posted - 21/01/2012 : 15:29:47
Thanks to everyone for the advicexxxxim still not quite there as I ended up
Not well but it's in hand and feeling better about things.few more questions if you don't mind:)
iv bought a second hand viv but when o got it home I sterilised and scrubbed roots but the floor of the viv has not bubbled as it was described.the floor under the heat lamp has split and wether water has got into it the wood is raised and open,it's not jagged but the wood I feel will deffo have been contaminated with faeces from the previous corn who was in it and I think it's no way acceptable to put my spike in.
Spike needs a bigger tank but iv covered it with tiles but instinct is telling me keep spike out as I feel the wood will be contaminated.
As iv said it's covered but I could do with someone confirming my fears or just telling me with the vast knowledge you guys have.
It's the top covering of laminate that's split and then the wood has become raised and exposed.iv then tiled over heat mat then stuck over then bedding just to clarify.
Any ideas or thoughts.
Either way iv learnt a valuable lesson!!!!
Thanks again to you xxxxx
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazarooney Posted - 24/01/2012 : 00:21:04
Spikes just gone soooo big and fat and long and scary!!!!!he's about a year old and about 3 foot long.the times flew.I sit talking to him with the viv open and he's not aggressive Iv just worked myself up now .his viv is high so he'll sit in the branches at the top.iv had the heat mat on the back as well so he climbs around and will sit up high as well as hide downstairs.
This is why I got the new viv as he's got so long and I got a lower one with the heat mat on the bottom.I'll post some pics when I fathom how to do it !!!but I'm just bothered incase Its no good for him but good advice.I'm gonna remove the base .see if anything can be saved if not I'm gonna buy new viv and get him in it.
What size viv should he be in do you think??he's 3 foot and his present viv is 2 ft by 2 ft.he's got branches that go from the floor to the top and he'll crawl through the back that's got greenery over a heat mat.I'm assuming this was ok with hides down low.please correct me if you think this is wrong as you guys have a vast of knowledge that an only benefit me.for that I thank you.hope you n your snakes are all good as seen some amazing picks of them thanks again
Karen
Redshift Spec Posted - 22/01/2012 : 21:56:40
Frank is a burrower, so i just find him under the aspen and then scoop the whole lot up!
nickyff Posted - 22/01/2012 : 21:31:16
why can't you pick him up? nerves? is he a tiddler and so bit quick? sharon can be quite zippy if she sees me coming, i put tiny hides made of cardboard in her viv, so sometimes when she's curled up i one, i can take the whole hide out and sort of slide her out of it onto my hand..
good luck- i hope you find a viv yr happy with soon.
Redshift Spec Posted - 22/01/2012 : 21:28:27
You should be able to see how far its spread when you cut away the laminate? Its a tough one though, I've been looking at second hand vivs and the one i want is £45 and second hand its £30 (and a 80 mile drive) so I'm going for a new one. What about replacing the bottom part of the viv completely? Might be cheaper than buying a new one. Or selling that one and getting a new one.
Kazarooney Posted - 22/01/2012 : 21:12:48
Iv considered all you said,I'm more concerned with what has contaminated the viv base in the first place and to how far it will have spread to the base and to what effect it will if any on the snake.
I won't put him in it at present and will probably buy him a new one.
How do I move him either way as I still can't pick him up!!!!
I put him back on a small and it doesn't seem to have left a lump so his lack of hunger was probably due to him shedding !!!
Iv got to find a solution that if I still can't pick him up and get his new viv this week how will I then transfer him.I'm getting annoyed with myself .iv got till Tuesday to sort this out as I need him to settle from feeding.
Any ideas??
Redshift Spec Posted - 21/01/2012 : 16:57:19
I'd cut away a section of the cover that has split to expose all the contaminated wood and sand back the raised wood (after bleaching it). Then get some laminate or that textured plastic they use to cover chip board to cover it up. Then use sealant (aquarium or something) to cover the joins between the old laminate and the new to make it water tight. Though I am in no way an expert, I am actually a complete and utter novice!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000