The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Thermostat HELP !!!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mattocks123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 18:44:41
I have my thermostat, where do i place the sensor, at the moment i have taped it to the heat mat and is against the glass (at the bottom of the tank) ?? is this the right place ?

Plus if the temp is correct is the heat light (Green light) meant to be off ????

Need reply fast!!!!
thanks
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hissyfit Posted - 18/01/2012 : 11:20:25
quote:
Originally posted by mattocks123

is it an exo terrer what ? heat mat ? or thermostat?

I meant an exo terra tank, sounds like you have it all sorted out now anyway
mattocks123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 23:19:11
oh yh, mine sepend most of the day under it :P
lotabob Posted - 17/01/2012 : 23:18:08
Still needs weighing down, they do burrow lots, just because you haven't seen them do it doesn't mean they won't or aren't already. My corn spends a lot of time under the substrate you can see the lines in it where he has pushed through and its very funny to be changing water bowls and just have a snake head appear.
mattocks123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 23:13:53
lol well the probe is under the bedding and under the fake plants were the snakes dont really go, they climb on top of the plant but dont do under :)
lotabob Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:56:23
The mat-stat. I have a few of those, they are very good for the price of them. My Gecko has a mat and my spider cupboard too. It takes a little while for everything to heat up and settle but once it does it should hold a good steady temperature, it will swing wildly for a while though. Just make sure the probes are held down even stick something heavy on them because snakes seem oddly drawn to them and will nudge them out of the way, its my Pythons favourite trick, move or just sit on the probe make it even hotter in the vivarium.
mattocks123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:49:11
i have placed the sensor inside under the bedding now :D

i have a habistat 100w (cheapest one) lol
lotabob Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:44:13
Because you are using a glass tank then an air gap is advised but really the stat will also prevent the rapid swing in temperature required to crack the glass so its not essential. Don't put the sensor under the glass though as it will cause stress on the glass. Your best bet is to have the stat probe and thermometer probe (when you get one) together in the centre of the hot end inside the tank, fixed to the bottom. This is where your snake will be so this is where to take the temperature readings. To fix the probe down dont use tape, my personal preference is to use hot glue, it sets in seconds, is non toxic and is easy to remove for cleaning. When I ran out of hot glue once I did use blutac, its non toxic and wont cause issues of the snake sticking to it. Was fine for a few days until my new glue sticks arrived anyway. The reason for not using tape though is snakes get stuck to it and will either rip their scales off or just die from the stress off been stuck.

When your setting your stat ignore the temperatures printed on it, its not accurate, good place to start is set it to 26 on the stat give it an hour (unless it goes up to 30OC+ straight away then turn it down striaght away) and see what the digital thermometer is reading min/max and then either turn it up or down.

Which make and type of stat did you buy?
kdlang Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:06:03
Might be a really good idea if you post a pic how you have it set up now and then it will make it easier for people to advice you. However you really do need to have a digital thermometer
Spreebok Posted - 17/01/2012 : 21:32:33
Are you still using the glass tank? If so, never place directly over the top, there needs to be an air gap, else the heat will crack the bottom of the tank I believe.
mattocks123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:40:11
If i place the viv on top of the sencor & heat mat will this increase the chance of the heating being more accurate ?
smiffy89 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:33:37
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

Is the mat on the outside of the glass tank and the sensor inside.

Red light should always be on. Green light will only be on when the heat mat is heating up/on.

depends on what stat your using some only have 1 light thats on when mats are heating up and off when its up to required temp plus a digital thermometer is always handy when setting up a new stat as what it some times says on the dial isnt allways spot on.
mattocks123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:24:48
georginasweeting ; if you have a light in your viv im sure that is giving off around 2-3 degrees allowing the thermometer to say 29 degrees
mattocks123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:19:49
is it an exo terrer what ? heat mat ? or thermostat?
Georgina Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:18:18
stat take some tinckering mine is set at 26 but digi say 29.
Hissyfit Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:11:53
As the mat is on the outside of the tank it's fine to tape the sensor probe to the heat mat, just remember to never put tape inside the tank!
Is it an exo terra you have? As Spreebok has already mentioned you need a digital thermometor, you can have this inside the tank with the sensor under the hide to keep it in place. It does take a few days to get the temps right, so you may have to adjust the thermostat until you get it sorted.
mattocks123 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 19:00:33
the mat is on the outside, i will take a picture and post :)
Spreebok Posted - 17/01/2012 : 18:58:14
The probe does need to be on the mat, yes, aim for over a black part. Is the mat on the inside or outside? If it's on the inside, take that tape out ASAP. Place a hide or something over the top of the probe to keep it in place if it keeps moving.

The light should go out, HOWEVER do NOT rely on the thermostat alone, get a digital thermometer to monitor the temps. They can be picked up for a few quid on eBay.
Simmy_82 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 18:58:04
Is the mat on the outside of the glass tank and the sensor inside.

Red light should always be on. Green light will only be on when the heat mat is heating up/on.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000