The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding - Frank 6mo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 20:13:07
Hi Guys,

Just fed Frank for the first time and it was awesome, he is on pinkies and they are about the right size. After he swallowed and pushed it down he was looking very intently at my fingers, slowly approaching. At this point I pointed the rub back to his faun and he slid back in. My question is, does that longing expression at my fingers mean he wants more? The shop I got him from fed him weekly, but you guys say every 4/5 days at this age.

Huw
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Redshift Spec Posted - 19/01/2012 : 20:44:30
Well Frank came out today, got weighed at 19g. Was happy climbing over me and i pass him to my partner. After a few minutes he stops dead in his tracks.......... Splat as he takes a massive snake dump on my partners arm/the floor. Weighed him again and he is in at 17g, so double pinks it is. The guy in the shop was a complete moron telling me to feed him pinkies for another 6 months before moving onto fuzzies.... Thank you for all of your support and info from this site. I'll recommend it to everyone!
Redshift Spec Posted - 18/01/2012 : 20:07:31
Awesome, well he was out and about today and had his first handle, he didn't want to go back into his faun
ScalySituation Posted - 18/01/2012 : 18:28:46
quote:
Originally posted by Redshift Spec

Is it normal for a snake to hide the day after feeding? He is usually out and about between 7 and 11 but he went to bed just after eating and hasn't moved since. Stupid questions will end soon... Honest

yeh sonny will strech out along the front of the faun for bowt 10 mins and then I dont see her for two or so days
ScalySituation Posted - 18/01/2012 : 18:27:54
quote:
Originally posted by Kath

Scaly, try aisle where all kitchen utensils are & baking stuff.

Kaysies :)
Okeetee Mick Posted - 18/01/2012 : 17:34:15
Don't see my girls for two or three days, the boy is usually about the next day.
They all differ.
Redshift Spec Posted - 17/01/2012 : 21:59:37
Is it normal for a snake to hide the day after feeding? He is usually out and about between 7 and 11 but he went to bed just after eating and hasn't moved since. Stupid questions will end soon... Honest
Kath Posted - 17/01/2012 : 18:01:43
Scaly, try aisle where all kitchen utensils are & baking stuff.
ScalySituation Posted - 17/01/2012 : 17:54:19
quote:
Originally posted by Dancross0

I got a set of black glass scales from Asda. They work great!

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=scales&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=249385

Last set on the right. £7.50.

These look great, never seen any scales in my local asda before :S stupid question, what isle do u think they would be in?
Redshift Spec Posted - 17/01/2012 : 17:49:59
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

quote:

He had a bit of bulge but it was gone within minutes. I'll get scales before his next feed and weigh him. Would it cause problems if I over fed him?

That's the problem with bulges, never quite sure. All I can say is the guide I use was given to me by Adam at Procorns and all of mine gain weight regularly and you can be sure you will not over feed.

Cheers Mick, I'm getting some scales before the next feed so I can know for sure how much to give him.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 17/01/2012 : 17:39:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kath

lol Mick, yep we were using scales that only went up in 5's & were getting worried coz Cornelius didn't seem to be putting any weight on!
Lot better when we got more accurate scales!

Lol, glad I'm not the only one
Okeetee Mick Posted - 17/01/2012 : 17:18:30
quote:

He had a bit of bulge but it was gone within minutes. I'll get scales before his next feed and weigh him. Would it cause problems if I over fed him?

That's the problem with bulges, never quite sure. All I can say is the guide I use was given to me by Adam at Procorns and all of mine gain weight regularly and you can be sure you will not over feed.
Redshift Spec Posted - 17/01/2012 : 14:46:02
a33272 Posted - 17/01/2012 : 11:54:55
theres lots of ways to gauge feeding, you can use the guide, but it is only a guide.

It can be done just aswell (and done this way by most) an that is simpley by visual apperance after feeding. does the one pinkie leave a visible bulge/lump. it theres no bulge/bump after feeding then increase food amount/size.

Just because he toke the second one it doesnt mean he needed it. a snake will eat an eat. they have no concept of eating to much as in the wild they may not eat for weeks an weeks so when they come accross food they take what they can.
Kath Posted - 17/01/2012 : 11:06:20
lol Mick, yep we were using scales that only went up in 5's & were getting worried coz Cornelius didn't seem to be putting any weight on!
Lot better when we got more accurate scales!
Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 21:52:05
I think I'll be heading to Asda Payday, as well as buying some climbing toys for Frank as he seems to like climbing.
Dancross0 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 21:47:01
I got a set of black glass scales from Asda. They work great!

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=scales&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=249385

Last set on the right. £7.50.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 16/01/2012 : 21:41:04
If buying scales just ensure they weigh by the gram as I spent reasonable money on a set that weighed In increments of 5 grams, not very useful when weighing hatchlings.
Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 21:20:36
I offered him a second (in his faun as i didn't want to get him out after he had eaten one) and he went for it like a shot. So from Saturday its two for Mr Frank
Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 20:44:32
Should I try offering him another pinkie? See if he takes it?
Redshift Spec Posted - 16/01/2012 : 20:43:19
I've not had a chance to weigh him yet. Need to wait till payday to get scales. So much for what the guy said in the shop. Good thing I've got you guys isn't it lol.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000