The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 oh god another co-habiting thread...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nickyff Posted - 16/01/2012 : 14:41:17
except not exactly- here's the thing: very tall viv that could be split horizontally no problem and 2nd mat+stat available to do this. snakes both relaxed and okay with each other, but ideally want them apart, obviously-
BUT- if i made access from top to bottom with a hole in top floor + branch (for example,) thaT effectively doubles the floor space available to each? and they could choose...

half the space + solitude vs double space shared
(two heat mats in both scenarios)

please dont jump down my throat about this- its just an thought, as they seem perfectly okay with each other in the temporary set-up
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nickyff Posted - 17/01/2012 : 21:47:37
the shelf bit is right up to the door one the one side, and the gap on the other is no more than 3-4mm. would they really have a go at getting through that?? I have heard somewhere that they can squish their heads really flat- but they've both got pretty thick bodies.... there must come a point where its simply not possible??

tinsel (RIP) used to climb vertically up the edge of the door,

and one time I came into the room to find he'd jammed most of his body into the space between the two doors; a gap of about 2-3 mm; presumably in an attempt to get out of the viv. There was only his head left properly inside, cos he couldn't squeeze it into the space his body was squished into, between the doors. I had to gently rock the door back and forth: open,close,open,close by tiny amounts, and sort of 'roll' him back inside. he was a truly lovely snake, but what a divot!

he was a teensy worm, tho.
whats the guide, vis squeezing into ridiculous gaps, head or body thickness?

(academic question- I'm going to get something into the gap anyway, asap)
Spreebok Posted - 17/01/2012 : 12:45:52
One wee thing, you know where one viv door is in front of the other, so further away from the edge of the partition? Get some of that foam door buffer stuff, and stick it on in that gap (make sure it's high quality stuff, so they can't dislodge it) because they WILL try to get through that small gap. You'll be very surprised as to how small a gap they will fit though given a chance!

That's admittedly the reason I got excited because Lister had a few red flecks on his scales, I spammed about going 'PARADOX SNOW LOLOLOL' before closer inspection revealed he's just hurt himself a tiny bit squeezing his fat behind through the gap haha!
Sta~ple Posted - 17/01/2012 : 09:00:47
Nice, when you open those doors though your gonna have to keep a beady eye on both though haha
scottishbluebird Posted - 17/01/2012 : 01:59:52
Looks great
lotabob Posted - 17/01/2012 : 00:25:09
Looking good and I'm sure your serpents will be much 'happier' in their bunk beds.
smiffy89 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 23:25:28
looking tidy
nickyff Posted - 16/01/2012 : 22:17:03
all done- viv split across the middleish, punkin is currently having a drink in the bottom layer, and mrs sweetypie is doing laps of the top, exploring like a loon. I know that really it's far too early to say, but i think they're 'happier' this way, mainly cos i realised earlier today that although apparently not stressed as such, (both eating fine, no signs of agitation, aggression or weirdness), they had both been hiding a lot, and not together, as described in other threads on the subject. hopefully I've done right by my snakeys now, and they'll each be a bit more visible in their duplex apartment block.....

thanks for all comments and advice

EDIT- pic here... the first time ive ever seen punkin 'sprawled' like this... i think that out of the two, its mrs sweety pie who wears the trowsers, so to speak, despite being the littler one!

Spreebok Posted - 16/01/2012 : 18:48:20
You can split the viv exotic LX range in half horizonatally, I had mine split up until recently :)
smiffy89 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 15:46:52
the more you think the more likely you'll end up with more vivs n more snakes and more things to think about
nickyff Posted - 16/01/2012 : 15:37:15
yeh, i kind of got there by chewing on the idea a bit... the advantage of double space if theyre sharing it isnt really an advantage...
mata are same size, so could run off same stat, but separate thermometers? hmmmm, spare stat........ more ideas brewing....hehe
smiffy89 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 15:30:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

The idea is there and is good in principle, however if you are gonna have the same sized vivs, then all you'd need is another mat (which you said you'd use anyway) and then you'd have a totally split setup.
When you have 2 smallish vivs that are the same size, you can use the same sized mats (measurements&wattage) and run them both off the same stat, saving a few more quids on a stat as well.
Win win then, plus it means you'd have a few more quid extra then to spend on decor, or another snake......

came back to reply in a similar way but the big man got here first ,great minds think alike K
Kehhlyr Posted - 16/01/2012 : 15:19:46
The idea is there and is good in principle, however if you are gonna have the same sized vivs, then all you'd need is another mat (which you said you'd use anyway) and then you'd have a totally split setup.
When you have 2 smallish vivs that are the same size, you can use the same sized mats (measurements&wattage) and run them both off the same stat, saving a few more quids on a stat as well.
Win win then, plus it means you'd have a few more quid extra then to spend on decor, or another snake......
smiffy89 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 15:04:58
all id say is by time you messed about with splittin viv in two then drilling a hole you might as well just split it and then theirs no worries about co-habing at all,in the word of the meerkat "simples"
nickyff Posted - 16/01/2012 : 15:01:15
thi query was directed at the more knowledgable bods, but i did forget to mention, 2 1/2ft and 3ft

the more i think about it the less the idea of space balances against the cons...
how do i delete a thread?
mattocks123 Posted - 16/01/2012 : 14:44:24
how old are they ???

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000