The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 depth of substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nickyff Posted - 12/01/2012 : 23:50:22
ive read different ideas about this, and wondered what the consensus would be in here?
ive got aspen down in sharon's viv, but its more a 'sprinkling' as i read that too much on the heatmat can mess up the temps as it insulates. shes only 6months so only tiny poops means i don't really need to use too much. but then ive just read somewhere that one of the purposes of substrate is so they can burrow into it. sharon is quite a shy snake and would probably like to bury herself, if i did put in more, what sort of depth are we talking? and what about the heat problem?
i also need to know about how much to put in with the bigger snakeys- our new fambly members- especially since punkin (3 ft male) was on the sofa earlier and did the stop, stare, tail-lift, take THAT! performance, and oh-my-golly it was HUGE. im going to need aspen by the bucketload to absorb poops like that on a regular basis!! (assuming he isnt going to always wait til he comes out of the viv to go on my sofa/snake toilet, and might actually poo on his own sofa now and then)
phew- long post, sorry!
opinions/advice plaese?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Georgina Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:52:29
lightning goes everywhere under the saspen so i keep it quite deep and thinner in the hides and over the mat, i have a top opening terraimium and midnight it nosey so clears a space at the front to sit and watch the world go by. depends on your and your snakes preference, i dont thing theres a wrong or right way.
herriotfan Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:33:33
quote:
Originally posted by nickyff

okay, thanks for replies- I'll keep it a thin sprinkle over the mat and put some deeper at the cool end and see what she does with it.

my OH claims to have seen a tv programme where kids were given snakes to hold and the snakes had little 'nappy' things round their bums to catch any pooops!!! i googled snake nappies and didnt come up with anyhting. anybody heard of this? or is he just winding me up again?

Me thinks he needs a large spool!!
nickyff Posted - 13/01/2012 : 22:19:00
okay, thanks for replies- I'll keep it a thin sprinkle over the mat and put some deeper at the cool end and see what she does with it.

my OH claims to have seen a tv programme where kids were given snakes to hold and the snakes had little 'nappy' things round their bums to catch any pooops!!! i googled snake nappies and didnt come up with anyhting. anybody heard of this? or is he just winding me up again?
herriotfan Posted - 13/01/2012 : 14:14:48
Mine all push and shove it to where they want it so it makes no difference what I put in!!
ScalySituation Posted - 13/01/2012 : 12:42:18
i have quite a bit of substrate at the cool end bowt 2.5 cms as sonny is a big burrower
and about 1cm at the warm end cos she burrows up the warm end too :P
smiffy89 Posted - 13/01/2012 : 12:38:05
personally i stopped placing certain amount in areas as my snakes just re-arranged it an hour or so after ,i think the best thing is to put just enough in to retain any no.1's or 2's
kdlang Posted - 13/01/2012 : 09:04:43
I usually put just a sprinkling over the heatmat, more around the edges and over cables to absorb anything deposited there. Then over the rest of the vivs I have it about an inch deep for the adults. The corns are pretty good about keeping it where it's supposed to be. The hoggies are a nightmare and usually move loads into their warm hides and I keep having to pull it out again
lotabob Posted - 13/01/2012 : 00:08:47
The idea is to give them enough to dig in but put it a bit thinner over the heat mat. Its not exact science though, the snake will move it out the way to get to the heat. My lot always push all the substrate out of their hides so I just bung it in and leave them to sort it out.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000