The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Becky_Ben Posted - 05/01/2012 : 19:02:33
So my 20 month old eats in her viv, so does my 8 month old, my younger ones i get out to watch them eat, now, snap and cassie both eat in the small rub fine but midget my smallest snake refuses to let go of me at all, i try to put him down and he just tightens up on me, he lowers his neck picks up the pinkie and coils back around my hand and proceeds to eat lol, its super cute but i just wondered if anyone elses snake did this and do they grow out of it, i dont fancy having a 5 ft snake on me and a big dead rat on my hand every week hahaahaha
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Becky_Ben Posted - 16/01/2012 : 17:51:01
The branch worked :D Yaaay, was a bit sad tho lol we used to bond when he ate off me xx
Becky_Ben Posted - 06/01/2012 : 14:16:13
Didnt even consider the branch trick i think that really would work as he will feel elevated and possibly safer like when hes on me :) Thanks a lot x
Yea all of mine just eat off the floor unless i give the older 2 a change and wiggle it for a nice strike and constrict every now and again, the babies arent fussed either way though x
n/a Posted - 05/01/2012 : 20:26:32
Do they eat pinkies/mice/rats or whatever without having it shaken in their face? I've only fed mine once and gobbled it down as soon as I gave it a wiggle.
lotabob Posted - 05/01/2012 : 20:20:15
Try putting a branch in the feeding rub for him to dangle on. My corn loves to eat while acting like a bungee.
Becky_Ben Posted - 05/01/2012 : 19:43:34
Thanks g mac, i have left over night twice, one week i did it and he didnt touch it, so i left his feed for that week and then the next week i tried it again and he didnt eat but the day after i fed him on my hand and he ate i think he's just a fussy bugga.
Becky_Ben Posted - 05/01/2012 : 19:41:32
He is interested in the food when ive got him just not when ive not got hold of him, its a bit worrying incase i go away and someone else has to feed him though, there defrosted in cold water for 2 hrs then warmed up on radiator occasionally to vary it for them (must get boring eating cold food all the time lol ) but it doesnt seem to make a differance, i may get my oh to feed him next week see if he will eat in the rub while i go in another room see if i can trick him. Yea ive got the plastic ones i used to use for my beardie when she was younger, he doesnt strike yet just rubs his face on it them opens up lol he's only quite young . x
gmac Posted - 05/01/2012 : 19:39:55
If the snake eats ok dont bother with braining no point as it knows what to do with the mouse, just leave the snake in the tub or viv overight with the food and leave alone for a while, It will get the hint eventually
hillzi Posted - 05/01/2012 : 19:32:26
Hmm to make him more interested try braining it or warming it up. How do you defrost them? If you leave them out on the side, or wherever, for at least 6 hours, then put them on a radiator for five minutes, then try.. You should have left him to eat in the viv tbh, he was probably putting the mouse somewhere were he could easily eat it;

Try wiggling it with some tweezer, not any eyebrow pluckers, can get fishing metal ones or plastic "reptile" special made ones, whatever and make the mouse seem alive, plus you can hold it whilst he eats until he starts striking and constricting as I guess it's a small snake.

I don't think it can do any harm, I don't think it's hygenic though and as of growing out of it, he may do.. but best to beat the habit now.
Becky_Ben Posted - 05/01/2012 : 19:24:05
If you look at a few pics of my gang in the pic section, theres some of the tiny dude eating on me lol
Becky_Ben Posted - 05/01/2012 : 19:21:51
It was an example hahaha. Ive tried that and as soon as the mouse is put in the rub he climbs out or ignores it if the lid is put on, ive also tried to feed in the viv but he ignores it, he will pick the mouse up occasionally and try to fetch it to me, he banged it on the glass time before last until i opened it and let him crawl onto me Lol, he bangs on the glass to come out and be handled but with a pinky in mouth was just hillarious. Can it be doing him any harm eating on me ? and will he grow out of it ?
Yea ive heard they become defensive when fed in vivs so only feed my older ones in the vivs, crackle my 20 month old gets the medium mouse on her house and eats it off there * usually * lol if not ive got tweasers at the ready to remove the aspen but as the mouse is dry it rarely get stuck to it, and pop my 8 month old lives on news paper so no worries there x
hillzi Posted - 05/01/2012 : 19:10:37
Well for a first off, you wouldn't want to be a feeding a 5ft snake weekly, or on rats.

Gotta be cruel to be kind.. just loosen the snake off you into the feeding RUB or viv wherever you feed then drop the mouse in, I'm sure he'd become more fixiated on the mouse than you.

May like to add in some advice, if you feed in your viv, do you put newspaper/kitchen roll over the substrate? Just avoids any accidental swallowing of the substrate which could be nasty.

Some people might say feeding in viv encourages defensive behaviour, but I've fed mine in vivs for 3 years, and tbh, I've not seen any evidence to support this!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000