The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Salmonella

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joseph96 Posted - 15/12/2011 : 17:58:16
Im 15 and ive really wanted a snake for ages and it was my birthday yesterday and i was planning on using my money to bye all the equipment need and the snake. Ive be reading everything for the past week and i know every thing i would need to know but about 3 days ago m mum said she been thinking and because i have a 2 year old sister i cant because of the samonella they carry. can anybody help me with this.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marlin Posted - 27/12/2011 : 14:24:15
Is it really the hygiene issue or is your Mum a little freaked out by snakes anyway? Could it be an excuse? As everyone else says you do have to be carefull to properly clean hands before and after but the germs are only transferrable by touch so its a really low risk compared to leaving the house and going shopping where bugs are everywhere!
scottishbluebird Posted - 25/12/2011 : 11:22:31
After all this has your mum even read this?
Okeetee Mick Posted - 24/12/2011 : 17:33:30
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:
Originally posted by meggi

i have had my snakey for 2 years and have never had selmonella, i hardly EVER wash my hands after holding him meg x

Its Salmonella you need to watch out for!

Lmao, nice Mike
Sta~ple Posted - 24/12/2011 : 15:21:26
You have to remember though, children under 2 and old folks dont have as good immune systems as the rest of us. It would be silly to not wash your hands if you live with these aged people.
mikerichards Posted - 24/12/2011 : 10:30:13
quote:
Originally posted by meggi

i have had my snakey for 2 years and have never had selmonella, i hardly EVER wash my hands after holding him meg x

Its Salmonella you need to watch out for!
meggi Posted - 24/12/2011 : 10:23:35
mikerichards Posted - 24/12/2011 : 09:55:01
quote:
Originally posted by coxymk2

Lol i am cyanide trained thats scary. I say again my apologies but its good to know you have an on-call expert.

rather you than me!! I was trained to deal with cyanide, amongst many other nasty agents, but if i remember rightly, theres not much you can do with it, the lethal dose is so small, 350 parts per million for more of less instant death if my memory serves.
coxymk2 Posted - 23/12/2011 : 23:28:19
Lol i am cyanide trained thats scary. I say again my apologies but its good to know you have an on-call expert.
mikerichards Posted - 23/12/2011 : 23:16:17
quote:

No probs having worked with very dangerous chemicals before tests were done properly have become skeptical in regards to validty.

She works quite a lot with formaldehyde, thats pretty nasty stuff, i got some on my hands whilst doing a PM on a baby rabbit of ours that died, it burns!!!

I am lucky, the most dangerous stuff i play or used to play with is Jet fuel!!
Okeetee Mick Posted - 23/12/2011 : 23:07:04
Very interesting Mike, thank you.
coxymk2 Posted - 23/12/2011 : 23:01:50
No probs having worked with very dangerous chemicals before tests were done properly have become skeptical in regards to validty.
mikerichards Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:45:49
quote:

My apologies but saying that you took the samples and had them tested by a 'friend' did leave it open to doubt as to the quality of the test.

Sorry i didnt mean that to come across quite as abrupt! Shes not a friend, shes my partner!

Incidentally, she wouldnt have grown the sample if the swab wasnt done properly!
coxymk2 Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:29:19
My apologies but saying that you took the samples and had them tested by a 'friend' did leave it open to doubt as to the quality of the test.
mikerichards Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:17:17
quote:

Was this done in a totally sterile way?Remember that we all carry the salmonella bacteria in some form.

Shes a veterinary Haemotologist, she works for one of the largest Vet lab companies in the world, and has done for quite a few years, i think she has a fair idea on how to collect a sample.
coxymk2 Posted - 23/12/2011 : 22:11:45
Was this done in a totally sterile way?Remember that we all carry the salmonella bacteria in some form.
mikerichards Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:46:50
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Well said Mike. Despite the fact that you regularly call people morons, your points are usually well back up and delivered! :)

Anyway, what do you mean 'usually'???
mikerichards Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:45:33
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Well said Mike. Despite the fact that you regularly call people morons, your points are usually well back up and delivered! :)

they post regularly!!!

The amount picked up on a swab is LESS than would be encountered during handling, as i said, the swab was one single line down the back, a line the size of a cotton bud. Whilst handling the snake would typically go between fingers, up the arm, around the neck.
coxymk2 Posted - 23/12/2011 : 21:40:18
The amounts picked up on a swab test are more concentrated than a normal touching process therefore you would find that touching a snake would be almost harmless to most people.
hillzi Posted - 23/12/2011 : 16:41:55
I've had snakes for four years, I'm going to admit I only wash my hands after cleaning out with soap I've never used anti-bac sanitizer. I've never had salmonella or no-one else in my house has and my snakes are healthy and have never had diseases or problems health wise themselves.

Just thought I'd add that to the mix.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 23/12/2011 : 15:21:36

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000