The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 bambo in viv??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hannah2016 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 11:32:14
so, my parents are cutting down some bambo from our g****n to make a fence to stop the dogs jumping over the gate. the bambo looks really thick and strong and i thought it would look great in flickas viv. just wondering if this is possable or advasied?? i know i need to put it in the oven to kill parasites, but what time and temp. also is there anything else i should do to it to make it alright before i put it in there? or should i just not bother??
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 10/12/2011 : 18:05:24
Just give it a wash and stick it in. I would dry it out first though to avoid any bits of it going old and squishy.
awlred Posted - 10/12/2011 : 17:57:18
With plant material my disinfect routine goes for a 12 hour soak in milton (baby bottle sanitizer) then a 12 hour soak in tap water to leech the chemicals back out, then a half hour in a 120 C oven to kill anything left and to dry it back out.

Probably overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry
hannah2016 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 13:12:52
thanks, just chucked it in the bath with a load of disenfectant and boiling the kettle now to go in there. im gonna put it in the oven after. thanks again.
Mamma Posted - 10/12/2011 : 12:55:29
well I washed mine and scrubbed it, then soaked it in a bleach and water. Then I scrubbed it again in boiling water. Then I baked in the oven for 20 mins at full temp. Then to be extra extra sure, I wiped it down with the disenfectant I use when cleaning the vivs
hannah2016 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 12:28:13
quote:
Originally posted by hannah2016

quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

I use bamboo in my vivs and rubs. If it comes from the garden I imagine you make sure its properly disenfected xx

and how would i go about doing that?

also, mine is very green and leafy, would it be alright to leave it like that? do you think it would look good??
hannah2016 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 12:27:09
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

I use bamboo in my vivs and rubs. If it comes from the garden I imagine you make sure its properly disenfected xx

and how would i go about doing that?
Mamma Posted - 10/12/2011 : 12:10:03
polarchick Posted - 10/12/2011 : 11:52:45
yes garden seems to work!

In answer to the bamboo question - I can't think it would be much of a problem in using it but I'm sure other more knowledgeable folks will be along soon!

Sue
polarchick Posted - 10/12/2011 : 11:51:16
Maybe there was a typo and you put a "s" instead of a "d" and the automatic expletive deleter kicked in... am now going to try typing garden
hannah2016 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 11:33:05
ok, why is garden been *'ed??

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000