The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 what do you do if theres a power-out??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hannah2016 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 07:20:16
question says it all. my mums been worrying about what to do with the snakes if the power were to go out. you have to admit, for a newish snake owner its a good question
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aegis Posted - 11/12/2011 : 16:42:57
my power went out the other day, wasnt really bothered because it wasnt for long. She was due a feed that night but i put it off. Iv got the rep heat packs that are used for transporting incase of long power outages though :) x
LittlestarRed Posted - 10/12/2011 : 19:05:29
I've had power cuts and didn't do anything, most snakes are capable of dealing with low temps for a short while (My lizards on the other hand have hot water bottles filled with water heated on a camping stove). I have a plan for longer powers cuts though. My Sister has said that if the power failed long term (days or weeks) we could move them round to hers for a bit.
Midge Posted - 10/12/2011 : 08:52:10
Think you might be a bit too paranoid to be thinking like this!
Mort13 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 23:49:42
My power went off within 10 minutes of me getting my MBK earlier this year. Bearing in mind I had a 2 and a half hour journey home with him and then no power for a couple of hours everything was fine and dandy. I was more concerned about the fact I wouldn't be able to upload my pics and show him off lol!
That was when the weather was warmer though. I now have all mine in the lounge anyway and theres a gas fire as well as a radiator in there so I'm sorted if the temperatures are abnormally cold like last year.
eeji Posted - 09/12/2011 : 22:02:40
if the power goes off then the power goes off. I just leave my lot to it because they are all temperate species and are capable of handling a chilly day or two. If I had anything really sensitive to cooler conditions then I'd have a plan in place
Emmy1 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 20:56:07
Keep them in the viv. I put a blanket over the viv to ensure heat stays in a tad longer. Hot water bottles with covers go in if it goes on any longer than 12 hours.
lotabob Posted - 09/12/2011 : 18:45:58
I do think its a good idea to have a plan should electricity fail for extended periods. Mine is hand warmers because if my electric fails my gas boiler wont work either. But its never happened, longest I've been without power is an hour and nothing was required at all, one of the benefits of living in the city centre I suppose.
kdlang Posted - 09/12/2011 : 18:39:29
I don't do anything. As long as they haven't been or don't get fed they will be fine. If they have recently been fed then I would just try to keep the room as warm as possible.
Sta~ple Posted - 09/12/2011 : 18:20:39
I do nothing.
hannah2016 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 15:21:22
i know i was just thinking for if there was a long period of time without heat.
Okeetee Mick Posted - 09/12/2011 : 14:55:55
Personally I'd do nothing unless you know for sure the outage is for an extended period of time which really is quite rare.
hannah2016 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 13:49:50
thanks, i saw some really cute hot-water bottle covers that are really cute the other day, i think my best bet would be is to put one of them in each viv, seeing as the rest of my house gets really cold... even with the heating on
Casta Posted - 09/12/2011 : 09:50:00
they'd get shifted to the living room next to the radiator. the only thing that isn't lectric in our house is the coal fire heating system. alternatively putting them on a blanket or polystyrene with a water bottle / heat pack beside one side or under it would do to maintain some heat. theres a few things you can do.
Mamma Posted - 09/12/2011 : 08:35:03
move them all through to the livingroom. Our main gas boiler is right behind our gas fire, so the livingroom is always too hot.
Simmy_82 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 08:23:33
I think as long as they have eaten in the last 24hrs they'll be fine with the power out for a day or so. Depending on how cold it gets.
hannah2016 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 07:48:48
thats kinda a problem for me as our kitchen is opend planned, so theres no way to keep the heat in from going out of the conservatory. what about the people that have like 10 snakes, what do you guys do??
coxymk2 Posted - 09/12/2011 : 07:34:07
I have a plan for power outs and that is to move viv into kitchen close doors and use oven to keep air temp up so things should be ok

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000