The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Bad thermostat!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LarkaDawg Posted - 05/12/2011 : 22:01:45
Really freaked out.
Pan's set up is this:

With a heat mat (1/2 faun) and thermostat which is a microclimate brand, on/off heat mat stat. I've had it since August and it's always been dodgy. Fluxuating by up to 10F either way (usually up)! I've only had it happen once before and it reached 91F as a pose to the set 85F.
Over on RFUK, there was a thread on stats and I mentioned mine, someone told me that I should get it replaced/that it was bad. Due to this, yesterday and today I've been nervously checking the temp on my digital thermometer and it's been okay- as it is most of the time.

HOWEVER, just now I checked it and saw this:

Now I'm not sure at what temps corns can live at (I've heard rumors on down to 2 degrees celcius) but as this is just slightly above 85, I pulled the stat out of the wall and unplugged the heat mat. Checking on my snake, he was hot to touch and not very lively, the base of the plastic faunarius was very hot and the heat mat was hotter. I freaked out, thoughts of the stories of bad temperatures and dead corns are milling around my head.
He is now in his faun, inside my other corn's viv. It's definately not ideal but that was the only spare thermostat I have and because my corn is a chunky monkey, she doesn't use the space often. No excuse, but I really don't have anywhere else to put him

My mom is going back to PAH tomorrow morning to ask for a replacement, or to buy me a new one.
The offending kit, with temp clearly set at 84-ish F.

And his temperary home:

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a33272 Posted - 08/12/2011 : 14:16:28
i cant see it will be that in accurate TBH. even differant makes of these thermometers can give a varied mixture of reading anyways, weve tryed it before an even 2 of the same make can give differant readings
LarkaDawg Posted - 08/12/2011 : 12:53:57
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I just noticed you are using a weather thermometer too, I wouldn't see that been as accurate as required, what sort of probe does it have on the end of that LONG wire.

Hmm it looks like this:
The end bit, not the actual reading bit. It feels ceramic almost. Is this a big problem? I have two others for my other two vivs, a yellow ZooMed one and a REPTILAND black one with a metal end.

Should I be converting to one similar to my others?
lotabob Posted - 08/12/2011 : 00:28:25
I just noticed you are using a weather thermometer too, I wouldn't see that been as accurate as required, what sort of probe does it have on the end of that LONG wire.
a33272 Posted - 07/12/2011 : 21:18:54
the 300 is identical in how it works to the 100. just capable of powering more wattage
bricktop Posted - 07/12/2011 : 19:06:01
fingers crossed, but i`m sure it will be fine now!
LarkaDawg Posted - 07/12/2011 : 10:53:03
I've got a new stat now- its the 300 version, apparently recommended by the woman in the store. Not sure on whether its necessary, but its a stat and it works It's running on its own for a day or two to make sure the temps are correct before I put Pan back with it.
This time the probe will be attached to the mat (outside the faun) with the digital thermometer inside.

Thanks to all posts and advice, I'm glad I've got this sorted out and hope it will never happen again *touch wood*.
a33272 Posted - 06/12/2011 : 11:35:33
with the probe outside on the mat it eliminates any disruption to the probe placement causing the temp issues u have. if with the probe on the mat ya still seeing really bad temp veriations then you got a stat issue.

u still monitor the temp from inside the faun but u need to secure the probe to the base for the best readings as if its moved about by snake u will get mixed readings
Simmy_82 Posted - 06/12/2011 : 07:25:04
Try it that way and see what happens. Also try adjusting the stat a little. The temp it's set at isn't always the temp it'll put out. Like I said earlier. Mine is juliet just over 26*C put thermometer is reading 28.2*C. I have both probes in my faun (same as you). Only difference is my mat stat the the Habistat one.
LarkaDawg Posted - 06/12/2011 : 07:07:41
Thanks for your replies guys. On stat placement, I had it placed on the plastic bottom inside the tank, covered in aspen on the wire and lightly over the end to secure it in place. Should I be placing the probe outside the tank on the mat? And I think we still have warranty on the stat so I'll hopefully get it replaced. If that again is dodgy, then I'll head over to habistats.
a33272 Posted - 06/12/2011 : 01:31:02
if ya using a faun i wouldnt even put the stat probe in it id leave it outside the faun but on the mat, then have thermometer probe in faun on bottom that way the stat probe cant be moved by snake so will always be monitoring mat temp, where as if it was inside snake could move it can cause stat to go haywire
Laws Posted - 06/12/2011 : 01:07:19
ive tired both habistat and microclimate and i have to say habistat is my prefered , seems to hold temps without too much fluctuation compared to the microclimate that really did fluctuate by 5 or so degree's . as bob says check ur probe placements as that can have a big difference . hope pans ok
lotabob Posted - 05/12/2011 : 23:16:20
Probe placement is probably the reason for weird temperature readings. The stat and thermometer probes should be fastened together and then fastened securely as close to the mat as the snake can get (in a faun on the bottom of the faun, in a viv stuck to the mat), both probes should be flat down to the surface so the thermometer probe doesn't end up holding up the stat probe and vice versa. I use hot glue to stick everything in place, it is non toxic and hardens to plastic once it cools (the heat hat could never re-melt it). Without the snake in, have another go at setting up the faun, temporarily use a bit of masking tape to hold the probes down, cover with substrate to cut out air temp interference and I'm sure that you'll get better results. If its still wildly fluctuating then its faulty but if its just probe placement you'll just have the same problem no matter how many you try.
nickyff Posted - 05/12/2011 : 22:49:37
that's the same stat that i have. - I posted on here a while back, fretting about how much it fluctuates for no apparent reason.. mine still ranges by about 4-5 degrees celcius away from where it should be, but not as much as yours did- its definitely goosed from the looks of things. from what I was told when i was worried about mine, snakey is better off too cool than too hot.. if he/she is dehydrated you can help him/her by putting a bit of an isotonic sports drink in his water bowl.. does exactly the same as reptoboost at a fraction of the price.
I hope Pan hasn't suffered too much- best of luck. nicky
Casta Posted - 05/12/2011 : 22:20:06
you can get a habistat basic mat stat they're very simple but i've yet to have problems. a bit of tweaking later and sorted. got a faun and a rub sharing it at the moment. hope he's ok.
LarkaDawg Posted - 05/12/2011 : 22:10:14
Pan's okay I think. He was milling around the faun inside the viv, so I assume I caught it in time :S I'll be watching him over the next few days, I hope he'll be okay
Simmy_82 Posted - 05/12/2011 : 22:10:11
The thing with stats is they aren't accurate. My stat is set at 26*C but the temp in the faun is 28-29*C. It's probably best to turn the stat down. And use the thermometer to get temp correct. You will always get a couple of degrees fluctuation. Mine fluctuates 1-2*C.
scottishbluebird Posted - 05/12/2011 : 22:07:27
Was your snake ok?
adamasrc Posted - 05/12/2011 : 22:04:54
let us know how the snake gets on!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000