The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 2 pinkies or 1 sir?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kath Posted - 05/12/2011 : 15:59:51
Hi,

Cornelius has always been a good feeder & upto last Friday, he's had 9 little pinkies & they are still leaving a little bulge.
He's 17wk old & weighs 10g still (I'm not bothered that he hasn't put any weight on just as long as he doesn't lose any).

When the time comes, before we go upto fuzzies, would it be better for us to start giving him 2 tiny pinkies or 1 larger 1? (For him to get used to the size difference).

Also, is there a time frame for him to be on pinkies then upto fuzzies or does it just depend on his growth?

To be honest, I'm really nervous about him going upto bigger food but of course it has to happen sooner or later! I'm just worried he'll struggle with larger prey or bring it back up. That's me just being a worried mum!

Thanks!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittlestarRed Posted - 16/12/2011 : 13:33:57
Guess I was mis-informed then? That's good! I can stop worrying about feeding her 2 pinks for the forseeable! Thanks for setting me straight, I'll be having words with my source! LOL
Kath Posted - 13/12/2011 : 11:24:01
@ nicky, I would guess that 3 pinkies would be too much.

We fed Cornelius last night a tiny pinkie & it left a nice bulge & he's weighing in at 14g so I'm happy to leave him with just 1 pinkie for now. Plus, after we've fed him, he seems more interested in getting back in his faun than having more food!!
Casta Posted - 12/12/2011 : 18:43:41
shes about 4 1/2 months now and roughly bout that size i think. she actually seems to have lost weight (could be my scales)so i reckon she can take them every 5-6 days... worth a try (never a bother taking a munch ).
ScalySituation Posted - 12/12/2011 : 07:00:47
nice bump on casta there ;) sonnys been on fuzzies for just over a month now... how old and long is casta, sonnys coming in @ six months (it was her half bday yesterday) and apprx 44.5cms
nickyff Posted - 11/12/2011 : 22:53:02
I haven't weighed sharon, cos I don't have accurate enough scales. (yet)
when she's had 2 pinkies, you would hardly know it- there's barely a bump on her, BUT the pinkies I have at the moment are particularly small ones, cos when tinsel regurgitated the 2nd time I went and specifically asked for smaller ones, when I thought that the size might have been a reason for the sick-up. (it wasn't)
so I still have a fair few teeny weeny pinkies left over. would feeding her 3 be a terrible idea? I'm guessing yes...?
Casta Posted - 11/12/2011 : 21:26:02
i got told to up casta to fuzzies from a rep shop owner. she was on 2 pinks. shes managing no bother but got a graduating size difference for her to work up to. if they can take 2 fuzzies then they shud manage a small fuzzy. shes getting fed once a week at the moment till she gets used to the larger amount. my scales arent accurate so i go by size.

the bump left by a fuzzie. eaten in minutes
nickyff Posted - 11/12/2011 : 19:18:49
Well I've read on other threads that its larger food that's more difficult to digest; ?? and ultimately more likely to cause a regurgitation, esp if viv temps are a bit low. Seems to me more logical that littler pinks would be quicker/easier digested than a girt muscle-bound fuzzy......

there is one downside to sharon being a greedy s0d, tho- she does seem to poop an AWFUL lot, !! (frequently in the hand of the child that named her..... praps she's expressing her opinion on that topic...? and the pinkies are just necessary ammunition...???

Okeetee Mick Posted - 11/12/2011 : 11:09:31
So a wild corn will only eat one prey item incase it gets indigestion, just ridiculous.
LittlestarRed Posted - 10/12/2011 : 19:00:00
From what I've been told feeding multiple prey long term is not a good idea as it's not as easy for them to digest. Also they can get into the habit of eating more than one and take a while to get used to just one once they move up a size. I think in the short term it's fine and what I have had to do for a while and will continue to do so for as long as I have to.

quote:
Originally posted by nickyff

why is feeding multiples a bad idea? when we got sharon she was due to eat two days later, and I had a batch of pinkies I wasn't too sure about cos they defrosted dark, so figuring that if there was anything wrong with it, she'd leave it, I put in another from a separate batch, to give her the choice. greedy thing ate both, and as they left barely a bump on her tummy, I've been giving her 2 at a time since: for the last couple of weeks, feeding her every 5 days. so she's had seconds every feed since she's been with us. I spose she really needs bigger dinners, but I've still got quite a few pinkies in the freezer, and they're all pretty tidgy ones. should I chuck em and get fuzzies? what will happen if she carries on having dinner AND pudding? she hasn't shed yet, and is perky and active... seems happy enough. how much of a problem is two little mice vs one bigger one? ( sorrry for long-winded worry)

Okeetee Mick Posted - 10/12/2011 : 11:30:47
All mine are on two pinkies, I will go on to fuzzies when they reach 25gms, advice given by ProCorns.

Feeding plan

Single pinks 6 days Snake = 4-15g

Large pinks (2pink) 7 days Snake = 16-25g
Fuzz (5-6g) 7 days Snake = 26-40g
Small (8-10g) 7 days Snake = 41-80g
Small x 2 (8-10g) 7 days Snake = 80-120g
Mouse (18-20g) 7-14d days Snake = 120+g
Adult females after bromating are fed every 6-7 days.
Adult females are fed every 7 days.

Adult males are fed every 10 days.
Kath Posted - 10/12/2011 : 11:27:18
Nicky, if u go upto fuzzies, I'd probably feed every 7 days.
Kath Posted - 10/12/2011 : 10:59:13
We got some new scales on Thurs that go up by 1g, we weighed Cornelius last night & he's 14g now which we are pleased about coz he is putting weight on.

@nicky, I have no idea why multiple feeding is a bad idea. I would probably finish those tiny pinkies off (2 at a time) then either go upto bigger pinkies (if shop u go to can show u pinkies before u buy them) or onto fuzzies.
Sharon can handle 2 pinkies so you'd think she'd be ok with fuzzies but don't take my word for it! Just remember that her food shouldn't be more than 1 & a half times the width of her widest part.
How much does Sharon weigh?
nickyff Posted - 09/12/2011 : 23:41:24
why is feeding multiples a bad idea? when we got sharon she was due to eat two days later, and I had a batch of pinkies I wasn't too sure about cos they defrosted dark, so figuring that if there was anything wrong with it, she'd leave it, I put in another from a separate batch, to give her the choice. greedy thing ate both, and as they left barely a bump on her tummy, I've been giving her 2 at a time since: for the last couple of weeks, feeding her every 5 days. so she's had seconds every feed since she's been with us. I spose she really needs bigger dinners, but I've still got quite a few pinkies in the freezer, and they're all pretty tidgy ones. should I chuck em and get fuzzies? what will happen if she carries on having dinner AND pudding? she hasn't shed yet, and is perky and active... seems happy enough. how much of a problem is two little mice vs one bigger one? ( sorrry for long-winded worry)
kneon light Posted - 08/12/2011 : 18:57:47
We have had Martha for about 5 weeks. Her weight has been 10g the whole time (scales go up in 1g intervals).
However she feeds regularly (1 pinkie every 5 days) and shed about 10 days ago so am not that concerned although I am curious why her weight is staying the same.
Kath Posted - 07/12/2011 : 17:18:11
lol thx Little, least someone does! I know we don't give them credit they're due coz they can eat a lot more than what we think!

Like u say, just scared but will be ok once I've got over that initial fear!
LittlestarRed Posted - 07/12/2011 : 17:10:25
I've got Nagini on 2 pinkies at the moment as our local supplier never have any large pinks. She's managing fine but I'm still scared about moving her up to fuzzies, she just looks too thin to be able to manage them, I don't want to have to carry on with 2 pinks for too much longer as I've heard that feeding multiple prey is not a good habit for snakes to get into. I guess we all have to bite the bullet eventually, but I keep putting off trying so I know where you're coming from!
Kath Posted - 07/12/2011 : 11:35:37
Thx for link Simmy. I'll tell me OH about them when he gets home later (coz he'll be paying for them! hehe) then we'll probably get them.
Simmy_82 Posted - 07/12/2011 : 11:29:01
No problems at all Kath.

I got myself one of these (link below). Go up in 1g increments up to 5kg. I put the feeding rub on it, turn it on so that is zero'd, then put the corn in, put the lid back on and register the weight. Obviously alternatives are available this is just a suggestion.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5kg-X-1g-5000g-DIGITAL-Electronic-Kitchen-Weight-scale-/140655744116?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item20bfbc5474
Kath Posted - 07/12/2011 : 11:25:30
Simmy, we checked pur scales last night & in g, they only go up in 5's so obviously they won't register a change in his weight until he reaches 15g.

He could very well weigh about 13-14g now so we're gonna get another set of scales that'll weigh more accurately.

Thanks for your suggestion tho or we'd never have noticed!!
Casta Posted - 06/12/2011 : 10:33:00
i still go by the size rather than the weight. mine wriggle too much to get anything accurate. casta is 44cm long and on small fuzzies at the suggestion of a rep shop worker. she's managed no probs and they leave the same size bump a med- large pink that cancer gets. could just be that my snow is greedy but shes always happy to take after a week.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000