The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Substrate question (calling all experts)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
paulie78 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 17:37:39
Hi guys

whilst shopping for pet food today i decided to check out a few feed wholesalers to see if i could find any aubiose no one had any however i actually ended up buying a big bale of something called bliss beding its made from rapeseed straw and is completely natural nothing added to it except a bittering agent to make it taste unplesant to horses but even that is 100 percent natural i jsut wondered if anyone knows if its safe to use for the snakes if not its no biggie ill just use it for the chinchillas its really soft and doesnt have any sharp pieces and is dust free plus at 6.99 per large bale bloody cheap too would be gratefull for some info if anyone happens to know

Many thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
paulie78 Posted - 01/12/2011 : 21:57:17
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

We have Bliss bedding at work for our horses- I personally wouldn't use it as I find it very dusty, irritating, and quite sharp.

I use Megazorb, great stuff.

okies thanks for the input ill just use it for the fluffy pets then thanks i just couldnt get aubiose they didnt have any and ofered me that as an alternative
SexyBear77 Posted - 01/12/2011 : 19:36:55
We have Bliss bedding at work for our horses- I personally wouldn't use it as I find it very dusty, irritating, and quite sharp.

I use Megazorb, great stuff.
paulie78 Posted - 30/11/2011 : 20:55:05
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Its just citronella they use, tis made from lemons. It's in all of our fly repellants for the horses too. Smells lovely to me but i dunno about snakes!

Edit: you CAN get untreated Bliss Bedding without citronella, which im guessing is something similar to aspen

Katie its the untreated bliss i have
Katie.Dublin Posted - 30/11/2011 : 20:43:03
Its just citronella they use, tis made from lemons. It's in all of our fly repellants for the horses too. Smells lovely to me but i dunno about snakes!

Edit: you CAN get untreated Bliss Bedding without citronella, which im guessing is something similar to aspen
coxymk2 Posted - 30/11/2011 : 20:20:06
You find that most bitter tasting things are deadly to some creature!!!
eeji Posted - 30/11/2011 : 20:10:17
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

You'd be amazed the things they can call 100% natural. Most things are made from natural substances (make that all of them, can't get something from nothing). Ricin is one of the most toxic substances around and its 100% natural as is uranium. Not saying that the bedding is or even that it might be toxic but 100% natural is no guarantee of its safety.

uranium substrate = glow in the dark snakes?

paulie78 Posted - 30/11/2011 : 00:13:53
quote:

You'd be amazed the things they can call 100% natural. Most things are made from natural substances (make that all of them, can't get something from nothing). Ricin is one of the most toxic substances around and its 100% natural as is uranium. Not saying that the bedding is or even that it might be toxic but 100% natural is no guarantee of its safety.

Hence my asking the experts lol as i said it was dirt cheap and easily usuable for my other pets so its no loss if i cant use it for the scaleys
lotabob Posted - 29/11/2011 : 22:26:17
paulie78 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 22:07:29
quote:

Googled the stuff and they dont reveal the agent used to make it bitter. Googled bittering agent and denatonium benzoate seems to be a commonplace bittering agent to stop stuff that shouldn't be eaten been eaten. Its supposed to be so bitter that you cant eat what its on. As to it been safe, who knows, I would say it does have chemicals on it and you shouldn't use it until you can be sure its safe.

They did actually tell me the name of the stuff they use to make it bitter i cant remember the name of it they said its a natural product thats in a lot of foodstuffs theese days i dont intend to use it till ive checked it out its no loss if i cant use it for the snakes ill just use it for the fluffy pets its 100 percent natural though as is the additive used to make it taste bitter ta for the reply though ill ring them tomorrow and get the name of the ingredient
lotabob Posted - 29/11/2011 : 21:24:08
Googled the stuff and they dont reveal the agent used to make it bitter. Googled bittering agent and denatonium benzoate seems to be a commonplace bittering agent to stop stuff that shouldn't be eaten been eaten. Its supposed to be so bitter that you cant eat what its on. As to it been safe, who knows, I would say it does have chemicals on it and you shouldn't use it until you can be sure its safe.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000