The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 from fuzzies to small mice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tordyjo Posted - 29/11/2011 : 07:26:13
Harry is now 15 months old, he weighs approx 95g. Visually looking at him he's big enough to take a small mouse (my other girl who is now 14months) has been taking them for the last couple of months no problem, but everytime i offer one to Harry he just refuses point blank. I leave it in over night but its still there in the morning.

At the moment he's taking 3 fuzzies every 7 days, any tips/ideas on how to get hiim to move up to small mice or will he just do it in his own time.

I did have problems with him not feeding a few months ago, so moved him into a smaller rub and he started eating again, he is a shy eater, doesn't strike feed and tends to wait until the room is dark before he eats dinner - so i usually feed at night for this reason.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 05/12/2011 : 15:20:35
Thats good to hear, well done Harry.
His feeding sounds just like my Johns feeding. I usually have to drag the mouse around his faunarium and he slowly follows it. I stop moving it and he stops with just his nose resting on the mouse head. I give it a little nudge towards his nose and he leisurely opens his mouth and starts to eat it. We have to go through the same thing every week, occasionally he will strike for it after chasing it. Funny little things they are
tordyjo Posted - 04/12/2011 : 09:54:02
went and got some small mice - cut the whiskers off, made it wet, put it in with him at about 3pm he didn't touch it, kept looking at it, going over to it and having a smell but going away again. I left it in overnight as i always do, came down this morning and its gone - he hasn't got that much of a bump so not sure he's actually eaten it - but yet again i can't find it in his RUB so he must have eaten it - yay harry
tordyjo Posted - 01/12/2011 : 07:17:10
I will certainly give all suggestions a try, i only have 1 small left in the freezer and my girl will be eating that, so i think harry will be having his usual meal of fuzzies this time round and then when i've re-stocked on small mice i'll give it another go
Red123 Posted - 30/11/2011 : 14:08:19
It was Gingerpony that suggested that I offered wet mice and also suggested shaving the mice. I did this for a few weeks when moving from pinkies to fuzzies, quite awkward to do on something so small, but it worked. We have now moved onto small mice, I no longer have to shave them as long as they are very wet when fed.
It would seem some snakes are very fussy.
scottishbluebird Posted - 29/11/2011 : 22:24:06
Would it maybe worth while cutting the whiskers off? never thought of that, Kellogs has only had one small mouse, took him ages to try to eat it after he hid from it!
tordyjo Posted - 29/11/2011 : 21:27:13
i'll try it, see if it makes a difference, didn't think about the extra length of whiskers, he is having fuzzies that have quite a lot of fur on them, i'm trying to make sure of that so he got used to the increase in fur
Red123 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 21:13:02
You could try offering the mouse wet. Small mice have more whiskers/fur than fuzzies. I have one that will not eat dry mice he seems to dislike the feel of the whiskers/fur on his nose. He will eat anything if its wet. Might be worth a try.
tordyjo Posted - 29/11/2011 : 19:29:51
I have, just think he's not sure of the increase in size even though he could manage it, he's had 2 feeds of 3 fuzzies since i last tried, so might try again in another couple of feeds time
Midge Posted - 29/11/2011 : 18:48:29
Have you tried braining the mouse? Snakes love the stink of freshly exposed mouse brains!
tordyjo Posted - 29/11/2011 : 18:04:30
he always has them dry
Red123 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 13:15:08
Do you offer the food item dry or wet?
Mort13 Posted - 29/11/2011 : 10:37:53
I have a house snake thats the same. Her clutch mate of the same size has moved from pinks to fuzzies no problem. She'll only take the smallest of fuzzies and steadfastly refuses them if they aren't just right.
I wouldn't worry too much,he'll get there in time.
Mamma Posted - 29/11/2011 : 10:12:48
He will just do it in his own time Romeo is about the same wight wise and hes on small mice now xx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000