The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Question!.....Eventually!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
NaeLou Posted - 27/11/2011 : 00:07:23
I'm pretty sure Misssi will be shedding for the second time for me within the next week as she has started to stay hidden alot again. She's got such obvious characteristics when going into shed mode, which I'm happy about because she's a snow and it's hard to tell any difference in colour! for eg. when in my hands she's happy to just sit there instead of slithering around my fingers! ...which I actually quite enjoy!

Just a quick question though.... Does anyone NOT make a damp hide?!
I didn't for her first shed and it went fine, however, is it wrong that I didnt? do people have different opinions on it? or does everyone make sure their corn has a damp place when in shed...?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Emmy1 Posted - 28/11/2011 : 22:43:45
Never used a damp hide with my snakes. I give them a large, shallow water bowl instead, so if they feel the need, they can bathe instead. I have full, clean sheds every time. I think it's just personal preference/ way that the snake has been raised to shed.
Vince_the_snake Posted - 28/11/2011 : 19:12:33
I've had Vince for almost 4 years now and never used a damp hide once and every shed has gone perfectly!
Mamma Posted - 28/11/2011 : 09:50:01
I dont tend to use a damp hide unless I really need to. If a snake has a bad shed I will put a damp hide in the next time and see how it goes. Normally my water bowls are large enough for them to lay in or slither through (which alot of mine like to do when they are coming up for a shed). This mornally helps them alot anyway so usually a damp hide is not needed in my case xx
kdlang Posted - 27/11/2011 : 14:12:01
I used to put a small bowl/tub of water on the heatmat to increase humidity during shedding time but now I don't do anything. Sometimes I get broken sheds and occasionally a stuck tail but I just deal with whatever happens.
NaeLou Posted - 27/11/2011 : 10:51:37
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Avoid spraying specially as you are using wood chip (from your sig) as it moulds when wet.

Oh okies!! Thanks!

Phew!
lotabob Posted - 27/11/2011 : 10:42:54
Avoid spraying specially as you are using wood chip (from your sig) as it moulds when wet.
NaeLou Posted - 27/11/2011 : 10:36:57
Thanks everyone! I think I've been most worried about her gettin RI!!! ....YES I'm a Mahooosive worrier!

But You've put my mind at rest... I think I'll try the spraying or lotabob, your damp face cloth idea as I do put my heating on in the evenings...

Shall keep you posted on how things go! She's due a feed today and then probably wont shed till a weeks time, so should be back in the beginning of Decemeber with fresh shiney shnakey pics!
lotabob Posted - 27/11/2011 : 01:54:23
I just throw a damp face cloth over the hot side hide. Has never failed me yet. (the one time I didn't do it and Spot's tail tip got stuck). G makes a good point about the heating drying the air though, take it into account when deciding what to do.
eeji Posted - 27/11/2011 : 00:42:40
i've never had to use one, but sometimes my female housie needs a bit of a damp wipe to help get her skin off
Jarvo Posted - 27/11/2011 : 00:36:19
Hi Naelou,
I have had Zack for 16 months now and have never had to make a damp hide for him all I do is lightly spray the warm end of his viv with water once a day when he is in shed to raise the humidity levels and he has always shed in 1 piece.
If I did have any issues with his shed I would probably introduce a moss hide for him so I think that if Misssi can shed her skin with out a damp hide then thier is no need for one and you are doing nothing wrong.
I hope this helps and a few pics when she has shed would be nice:)
gmac Posted - 27/11/2011 : 00:30:05
most of my corns and kings dont get damp hides they shed just fine without, my boa royal and hoggie do however.

Edit: Should have added to my post, this time of year the central heating is generally on on folks houses, this will reduce the humidity in the area the corns are in, this may hinder the shedding.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000